testtest

"Battle blade"

Very nice. Looks like a well made knife.
I don't know how well the newer Puma knives hold an edge but I used a Puma white hunter model for years with no problems and it stayed very sharp after lots of use. I had bought it for my dad in 1972 and after his death I got it. The 1972 model was carbon steel but the new knives are stainless and since I haven't used the newer Puma knives I own , I can't say how they are for retaining an edge.

Puma White hunter ---> https://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/Pum...n-Made-Hunting-Knife-with-Leather-Sheath.aspx

I don't know how well the newer Puma knives hold an edge but I used a Puma white hunter model for years with no problems and it stayed very sharp after lots of use. I had bought it for my dad in 1972 and after his death I got it. The 1972 model was carbon steel but the new knives are stainless and since I haven't used the newer Puma knives I own , I can't say how they are for retaining an edge.

Puma White hunter ---> https://pumaknifecompanyusa.com/Pum...n-Made-Hunting-Knife-with-Leather-Sheath.aspx

Is very nice when knives get passed on from father to son or son to father. A very nice and old tradition for some people and families. Likely older than firearms? On sharpening stainless blades, there seems to be some confusion for many people. An article below explains a few different techniques for stainless. Also, like the article covers, many metals are actually alloys combining different metals usually adding durability, but can require different sharpening methods and can add to the confusion.

I really like my Glock Field knife as my fixed blade. Lightweight and good all around field knife. Not super expensive. If it gets dinged in the field, I wont be upset.

5A997249-701F-4566-9EA6-64A3E8D24125.jpeg

So reading the battle belt thread here got me thinking what equipment I might put on such a tool. Being a huge knife guy, one thing they neglected which I would consider essential is a what I termed "battle blade" just to stay in thier vernacular.

So what would I consider for such a tool? A fixed blade knife with a guard, and a blade of between 5 and 7 inches. Something durable which could be used for a myriad of tasks, including, CQB.

Here might be two right off the top of my head. One is a Kabar Marine Corps FUK (fighting utility knife) the second a vintage Gladstone Marbles Bison.

View attachment 22703
I have I would guess about 16 such knives. None as noteworthy as these. Many are 40 year old flea market finds. Some are down right ridiculous ( think Crocodile Dundee, 16"-18" long) I do have one that has the exact same handle as the knife pictured here on the bottom. I think later today I will dig it out and see who's name is on the blade. My Ka-Bar is old and very well used. Lord knows where it originated from.

I like knives and have a crap ton of them, though very few are high dollar examples.

I have I would guess about 16 such knives. None as noteworthy as these. Many are 40 year old flea market finds. Some are down right ridiculous ( think Crocodile Dundee, 16"-18" long) I do have one that has the exact same handle as the knife pictured here on the bottom. I think later today I will dig it out and see who's name is on the blade. My Ka-Bar is old and very well used. Lord knows where it originated from.

I like knives and have a crap ton of them, though very few are high dollar examples.
Will love to see your examples. I love old blades, and like you search for them all over. I call them my treasures, and up until last summer I could have showed dozens of them. The old blades are so sweet.

Used to have them stored in a suitcase. But, in an effort to downsize I gave the vast majority to my nephews. Now what remains of my knife collection I can store in a day pack.

I have restored many also, no hurting the patina. So many need new handles scales because people just soaked them in water. Shrinking and breaking them. I had an old oak school teachers chair I used pieces of to make the scales for years. You can probably see the type chair in your mind, the old wood swivel type.

M y daughter has a complete collection of old kitchen knives I restored in a block my dad made her. She loves them too.

Last edited:

I concur with @Sld1959 , pedigree is not necessary.

I remain a knife collector and hobbyist, and towards that end, yes, there's plenty of safe-queens. 😅 But I must also confess that I am rather fond of actual "user" tools: items which have a history - a story to go with every ding, dent, scratch, or other hard-won imperfection. I like tools with character. :)

I'd love to see some of what you've got that's packed away.

I have a pretty good collection of small blades like some old imperial odd ball shapes lot made in England some old USA Barlows a box full

My cousin recently introduced me to the world of "Gunpla," or Gundam Plastic Models. For those of you who are not total nerds , it's the hobby of assembly - and modifying/upgrading - these wonderfully intricate and highly detailed snap-together plastic models:

1640453176700.png

I knew of them from my childhood in Taiwan, but I was never a big model-builder (lacking the patience). For those of you who think these are gonna be total crap, here's a recent video by Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame), assembling his first "Perfect Grade" Gunpla -

There are many videos of hobbyists from around the world spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours to effect some rather outrageous modifications to the factory kits. It's been eye-opening the kind of time folks devote, and the details that ensue.

Why do I mention Gunpla, in this thread?

Because in watching those custom-build videos, I was reminded of the sometimes rather crazy things that some hobbyists do, for the sake of their hobby.

Knives, too:

Back