testtest

Battle Tested: The M1 Carbine in WWII

My late Father, a WW2 Veteran, really didn’t like either the M1 Carbine or Rifle (the infamous Garand). He used them in combat because he HAD to. He qualified Expert with an M1 Rifle and Carbine. He used the M1 Rifle in the ETO (European Theater of Operations) during the Ardennes Offensive (Battle of the Bulge) and killed many Germans. He was later issued an M1903a4 Sniper Rifle in the latter part of the War in Europe. The M1 Carbine just doesn’t have the “knock down power” of either the M1 Rifle or ‘03. The Carbine is good for close in work but is not suited for long range shooting.

My late Father, a WW2 Veteran, really didn’t like either the M1 Carbine or Rifle (the infamous Garand). He used them in combat because he HAD to. He qualified Expert with an M1 Rifle and Carbine. He used the M1 Rifle in the ETO (European Theater of Operations) during the Ardennes Offensive (Battle of the Bulge) and killed many Germans. He was later issued an M1903a4 Sniper Rifle in the latter part of the War in Europe. The M1 Carbine just doesn’t have the “knock down power” of either the M1 Rifle or ‘03. The Carbine is good for close in work but is not suited for long range shooting.
Close in work only indeed! Though I just can't imagine why he didn't like the M1 Garand?!?! Did he tell you why he didn't like it?

Close in work only indeed! Though I just can't imagine why he didn't like the M1 Garand?!?! Did he tell you why he didn't like it?
Yes…many times! Dad told me several times when I was a child but really didn’t find out until I had my own M1s.

Dad told me the M1 Rifle (Garand) has a nasty habit of “biting the user’s thumb”. This is called an “M1 Thumb”. You have to be VERY careful when loading a clip into the rifle otherwise the bolt springs back with enough force to smash your thumb. Dad had it happen to him several times and learned quickly how to load the rifle without getting your thumb caught. He showed me how to load the the rifle…even after almost 50 years!!! The trick he taught me is to have the heel of your hand “hold back” the operating rod handle thereby insuring the bolt doesn’t snap back.

The main reason was that Dad was the Battalion sniper and preferred the M1903a4, saying he could “hit a gnat in the ass at 200 yards” with the 03a4. He used the M1Rifle in a pinch, but when given the choice , he opted for the 03a4.

Back