testtest

Be careful with Bronze Bore Brushes

I’ve also had issues with bronze cleaning brushes and although I never got one stuck I make sure I use one smaller then the bore or don’t use one at all. Going to be picking up a set of nylon brushes and get rid of all my bronze brushes after reading this article.

Lesson for the day. Never pound one out the easiest is to just unscrew the brush from the rod, then use the rod inserting in the muzzle end tap the end over the brush pull brush out through the muzzle. In most instances the rod will collapse the bristles making it easier to pull through the muzzle. I've had to do it a time or two. For the record I only use stainless steel brushes now since copper remover will destroy a bronze brush.

I have been using the nylon bristle brushes for years now and they work great. Some better than others. The Montana Extreme brand seem to have a bit tighter fit. The most aggressive solvent I have used is Sweets and it doesn't damage the brushes. Generally, for a fast cleaning, I soak a brush in Hoppes #9, give the bore a good scrubbing and let it set for 30 minutes. I then smear some JB bore past on the wet brush and scrub it again. How much depends on how many shots have been through the barrel. Followed up by several wet patches, finish with dry patches. I can't say I've ever stuck a brush in the bore.

Regards,
Bill

I've never had a problem with the bronze brushes and I will continue to use bronze brushes going forward. I always look at the caliber size for each brush before I use them so there's never an issue. I mix it up between been Hoppes Viper bore snakes and traditional bronze brushes and rods for over a year now. I have Hoppes bore snakes in pretty much every caliber gun I have. I just spray some CLP down the barrel and send in the Hoppes Viper do the rest.

If your new to bore snakes and are interested in trying them make sure you buy a quality name brand and avoid the Chinese knockoff brands found on Amazon as these can be sized incorrectly or made of cheap materials and the snake can breakoff or get lodged in the barrel.

Unfortunate story. I also use a solvent with my brush as it makes it easier to run down the barrel. As for copper remover I like Butches Bore Shine. There are several other (more abrasive) ones out there but with my last couple rifles Butches has done very well for me.

Back