testtest

Be ready (The Sheriff)

Good advice. I'm amazed by the lack of situational awareness seen every day. Heads buried in phones, paying no attention to what's happening around them. Active Self Protection videos discuss the "normalcy bias" where the tendency is to assume that the three guys wearing hoodies and masks at the gas station are just going in for cigarettes instead of recognizing and reacting to a threat.

From the article:Regardless, it is not brandishing or assault because you have not drawn a gun or pointed it at anyone.

That's so wrong it's not funny. The word brandishing does not appear anywhere in the Colorado statutes but you can be charged with it not even have a weapon on you. All you have to do is intentionally make things someone think you have a weapon with the intention of intimidating them or scaring them.

I worked as a security guard for 15 years. I basically watched people for a living and I got pretty good at it.

Over time I've observed certain behavior patterns that when I see them I know that person is up to something.

If I see somebody just aimlessly loitering someplace where there's really no reason for them to be loitering they're almost always doing something they're not supposed to be doing.

Another one that is somewhat specific to being a security guard is when just my presence changes their behavior. If the aimless loiterer watches me come around the corner making my rounds and he takes off he was up to something.

The last one IMO is the most important
If someone is paying an inordinate amount of attention to you, you had better be paying attention to them because it's been my experience but they're sizing you up and deciding whether or not you're a mark. Even if it's just to put the mooch on you for a couple of bucks.

One thing that they don't really talk about in these articles is that when somebody mugs you it's not like the shootout at the OK Corral where everybody lined up and you knew who was who and people talk smack to each other for a minute or so and then started shooting.

It's much more often like this

Almost all of the witnesses said the mother was wandering around in that section of the store for about 20 minutes until we found somebody he thought was worth attacking.

When he found the person he walked up behind them and hit them in the head and took their phone

Last edited:
My wife and I were on the beach in Biloxi about a month ago and I noticed 4 young men following us....I turned and watched them, I wanted them to know I saw them....they broke away and went elsewhere.

I was also scoping them out to see which one was the most likely to do something stupid first...

Know where you are, know who's around you, and know what to do..

Even today. After all these years, the year + "In Country" has left it's mark.They used to say I was paranoid. My wife would ask as we walked through the forest. "Why are you always turning around and walking backwards?" She didn't understand when I said "I look at every man as a possible threat" Well, here I am after all these years. Situational awareness is now in style.Imagine that.

Back