testtest

Be very careful...

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
There is a new SS scam going on right now, I have received 2 different emails stating they were from the SS administration, from 2 different places stating my SS number is being froze, for one they don’t freeze a SS number. This is NOT the SS administration, for one, they don’t have my email, second they would send a letter if there was any issues. The phone number they listed was both different ones, big time scam…..don’t fall for it, all they want is your SS number, just be cautious

There is a new SS scam going on right now, I have received 2 different emails stating they were from the SS administration, from 2 different places stating my SS number is being froze, for one they don’t freeze a SS number. This is NOT the SS administration, for one, they don’t have my email, second they would send a letter if there was any issues. The phone number they listed was both different ones, big time scam…..don’t fall for it, all they want is your SS number, just be cautious
Ty for the warning forwarned is forearmed.

SS does have my email address. this is how they contact me about updates to my disability and payments, and the recent "raise" in benefits.

they contact me, i then contact them, and have to verify my E address.

in any emailing i get from SS, it the address bar it says..

secure.ssa.gov (with the padlock in front of that)

but thanks to the many hackings going on, like Wilson had back this past summer?

anyone buying from Wilson (and others that were hacked) our info is out there for the scammers.

Tanks for the heads up.

I don't check my SSA account often online, but for most business they still send stuff through the U.S. mail, including Medicare statements.
Today thieves are stealing physical mail more than ever, I wondered why the Gubmint didnt transition over to just email option like banks for those that don’t want personal info sent to their home.

Side bar: Today even the FAA had some sort of computer fritz that grounded all aircraft this morning. No word if this was a breach or maybe spilled coffee. They don’t ground all aircraft for an outage (their explanation) that only provides general aircraft information…do they?

Anyway, these days with the proliferation of electronic mail, it seems it would be a safe bet, right? Heck, what’s a stamp cost today 60¢? Imagine some swindler(s) licking envelopes and stamps at that letter rate by the thousands to try and scam some senior out of a hundred bucks. The way the gubmint wastes money (actually “redistributes”funding) they save big on sending via US Mail.

So couple days ago I too received a very official looking email but from PayPal, proper PP address in the header, right PP mailing addresses at the bottom and the body of the letter was well complete and well written. The only suspect was the toll-free number, it was something rather than 1-800 or 1-888.
The email stated PP “sent me an invoice for $505.00, click the link” etc.
Since I didn’t use PP for some time I knew I was bogus, so I logged into my account and there wasn't any Activity.

Even with the amount of security these sites have (Soc Sec Adm, PayPal, eBay and the Amazon) there’s always some deadbeat trying to sneak one through and each time there’s a phishing email, your email address is shared among the scammers.
I know my ATT Yahoo email account is compromised and so I created another that I don’t share, it’s amazing how I don’t get spam emails for gutter guards, air cleaners, and an array of gadgets and pills designed to make my life better on my spare email account.

Bottom line: email sucks. the post office is expensive, crooks never get punished.

This phishing / vishing / smishing scam isn’t new, it’s been around quite a while and has many variants (IRS, law enforcement, local property tax authorities, etc..,).

SS does have my email address. this is how they contact me about updates to my disability and payments, and the recent "raise" in benefits.

they contact me, i then contact them, and have to verify my E address.

in any emailing i get from SS, it the address bar it says..

secure.ssa.gov (with the padlock in front of that)

but thanks to the many hackings going on, like Wilson had back this past summer?

anyone buying from Wilson (and others that were hacked) our info is out there for the scammers.
Yea, both of these didn’t have that, plus I never and I don’t get SS, I’m on a pension from Ohio, never gave my email to SS, no reason to do that. I do know when I get to 65, I’ll have to pay full price for Medicare since I have never paid into it, no SS benefits either, just my pension

Last edited:
Tanks for the heads up.

I don't check my SSA account often online, but for most business they still send stuff through the U.S. mail, including Medicare statements.
Today thieves are stealing physical mail more than ever, I wondered why the Gubmint didnt transition over to just email option like banks for those that don’t want personal info sent to their home.

Side bar: Today even the FAA had some sort of computer fritz that grounded all aircraft this morning. No word if this was a breach or maybe spilled coffee. They don’t ground all aircraft for an outage (their explanation) that only provides general aircraft information…do they?

Anyway, these days with the proliferation of electronic mail, it seems it would be a safe bet, right? Heck, what’s a stamp cost today 60¢? Imagine some swindler(s) licking envelopes and stamps at that letter rate by the thousands to try and scam some senior out of a hundred bucks. The way the gubmint wastes money (actually “redistributes”funding) they save big on sending via US Mail.

So couple days ago I too received a very official looking email but from PayPal, proper PP address in the header, right PP mailing addresses at the bottom and the body of the letter was well complete and well written. The only suspect was the toll-free number, it was something rather than 1-800 or 1-888.
The email stated PP “sent me an invoice for $505.00, click the link” etc.
Since I didn’t use PP for some time I knew I was bogus, so I logged into my account and there wasn't any Activity.

Even with the amount of security these sites have (Soc Sec Adm, PayPal, eBay and the Amazon) there’s always some deadbeat trying to sneak one through and each time there’s a phishing email, your email address is shared among the scammers.
I know my ATT Yahoo email account is compromised and so I created another that I don’t share, it’s amazing how I don’t get spam emails for gutter guards, air cleaners, and an array of gadgets and pills designed to make my life better on my spare email account.

Bottom line: email sucks. the post office is expensive, crooks never get punished.
I get those emails all the time, Amazon, PayPal, Geek Squad, I never ever used any of these places, hell, I don’t even own a CC anymore

Yea, both of these didn’t have that, plus I never and I don’t get SS, I’m on a pension from Ohio, never gave my email to SS, no reason to do that. I do know when I get to 65, I’ll have to pay full price for Medicare since I have never paid into it, no SS benefits either, just my pension
i don't know Ohio state laws, but here there is a health care "insurance" organization, that has range of no cost, to low cost coverages for everyone.

you'll end up calling the various carriers, like BC/BS, United Health, Aetna, and many other insurance companies of course.

I get those emails all the time, Amazon, PayPal, Geek Squad, I never ever used any of these places, hell, I don’t even own a CC anymore
word to everyone...many places "sell" your email, and physical address for advertising purposes. here, my state DMV has an "opt out" feature on thier services for tags renewals, Driver license renewals, etc. what they do if you "opt in", is "sell" your name and home address, even your email, to the ones that cull the DMV for information.

legal in every way.

brick and mortar stores and other retail outlets do the same, when you (for instance) sign up for "rewards/points cards"

almost no escape, other than if you buy/rent/lease a PO Box

“i don't know Ohio state laws, but here there is a health care "insurance" organization, that has range of no cost, to low cost coverages for everyone.”

It’s called Chicago Cook County guaranteed this & that program… just about every State has a program that provides free healthcare (“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses …") housing, education, meals, etc to anyones claim. Only working chumps pay as the gubmint doles your reward out to able+bodied deadbeats.

No sooner when I recently applied for my senior property tax reduction, the new bill came out and the tax bill rose to more than the stipend. Go figure….our LightLoafer mayor, while handing out guaranteed income checks is now demanding $54 million in Fed aid for more migrantsCare.

Anyway - yes they sell those email addresses, renew your plates by mail, write a dissatisfaction letter to your elected official, donate to a good cause or enter a Win This Gun contest. They all store and share email contact info and somewhere down the line there’s always a chance this info is hacked and shared. Hospitals, utilities, insurance companies all share and periodically check your credit status for offers and ability to pay your bills. They all been hacked.

Oh, I rented PO Box at one of those storefront operations when I moved to have mail forwarded before I found a new house. Went there after a few months to check if anymore mail came in once I established my new address… needed a box to carry the load out, clerk was p’ed off because it was stacking up. Mostly junk mail, catalogues, etc. no telling what else or what happens when old mailing lists done update there rosters.

Scammers are probably gearing up for tax season. They need that SS#! It just makes life easer for them.

I’ve been getting phone calls lately from a company claiming they want to purchase the properties I own in Connecticut, the thing is I no longer own any properties in Connecticut.
All the calls are coming from Canton Connecticut and when I block one number they call from another. I’ve received no less they a dozen calls in the last two months and with each one I leave them with some very choice words.
After receiving a call last night at 7:30pm I had enough and called the Canton Connecticut PD today and spoke to a detective who took down all my information and promised to follow up with me.
We shall see.

Put all that stuff up on the Internet Archive.

Back