testtest

Bedside pistol

Howdy all, hope you are well and staying safe in these crazy times. The good part about the insanity going on just now, (plus the extra time away from the office) is that's it's caused me to actually start focusing on my "Philosophy Of Use" for the things that I own. I've always "kinda" thought about it, but our current situation has elevated it to near the top of my list of things that occupy my time. Better late than never, I guess... As I think through that, I've realized that I've not spent enough time considering the actual USE of the resources that I have.

SO, I'm thinning the herd of things that don't match my POU and replacing them with ones that do. I carry daily, so I have the CCW bit covered, but I assess my plan to protect Hearth and Home to maybe be a bit lacking. While I've been using several different handguns as bedside guns, I'm starting to think more in terms of "battle guns" that are reliable, high capacity and can run a can.

Given that, I've started to seriously consider the new-ish Springfield XDM Elite OSP 4.5. Huge round capacity, supressor-height sights, threaded barrel and flared magwell. This would be focused on home defense, and a problem arises/mob defense backing up a rifle. Would have a light and red dot mounted. I'm typically an "old school" guy, but now that I've suddenly become an old fart with failing eyesight, my reality has started to overcome the cheap bastard in me, and I'm becoming all-in on rail mounted lights and optics on everything I own. Most of my current handgun inventory doesn't have that capability.

That said, I've got a bunch of Glocks and mags, so, I'm also in on the OSP platform if it makes sense. That said, the Glock platform is damn expensive for what you get in the OPS/Suppressor world, so I'm open to moving to the Springer as a specific POU gun.

Anybody have any experience with this weapon? I have an XDS in .45 and it's been a great carry gun. Sent it back to the factory for the re-call updates, but have never had an issue with it, so am predisposed to give it a run. Looking forward to hearing from those who have experience with the XDM Elite. Thanks in advance for your experience and thoughts! Oh, and if it's all that is seems to be, I'll be first in line to buy one in .45 when then decide to start making them.....

My “POU” of the bedside pistol is that it’s the last-ditch, every other home defense plan I had in place has failed, and failed completely, and needs to be employed immediately. It needs to be naturally pointable, because there will be no time to activate any electronic sight, or even acquire the sights of any type.

For me, that means revolver; I have a S&W 327 TRR8 for that purpose.

I just don’t see an extended gunfight as being realistic, either (as I’ve alluded to—these folks aren’t SAS trained assassins...so unless you live a lifestyle where that’s a reality...I doubt many people breaking into a home are prepared to take casualties and keep fighting) so the capacity doesn’t worry me; 8 shots of .357 should settle things, or at least buy me enough time to get my main goal—bunker up with a long gun—activated.

But that’s me; if it makes others more comfortable having a large-capacity blaster handy, by all means, more power to you.

My “POU” of the bedside pistol is that it’s the last-ditch, every other home defense plan I had in place has failed, and failed completely, and needs to be employed immediately. It needs to be naturally pointable, because there will be no time to activate any electronic sight, or even acquire the sights of any type.

I just don’t see an extended gunfight as being realistic, either (as I’ve alluded to—these folks aren’t SAS trained assassins...so unless you live a lifestyle where that’s a reality...I doubt many people breaking into a home are prepared to take casualties and keep fighting) so the capacity doesn’t worry me; 8 shots of .357 should settle things, or at least buy me enough time to get my main goal—bunker up with a long gun—activated.

But that’s me; if it makes others more comfortable having a large-capacity blaster handy, by all means, more power to you.
Good point. Most bad actors aren’t smart.
they believe they are invincible and as soon as Bullets start flying in their direction they will beat feet out the door.

It seems to me that nightstand guns are the most overthought handguns. To me, it's a very simple concept. Consistent with all handguns that might be used to save your life, go with the best quality you can afford. A self-defense handgun cannot fail.

If I thought I needed a loaded handgun on my nightstand, it'd be my Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto with absolutely nothing attached to it. I do not want nor do I need a light or laser attached to a self-defense handgun, especially at dwelling distances. I would never attach anything to its barrel making it longer and easier for a bad gun to rip from my hands.

Nightstand handguns have potential for being deadly problematic. While a good guy is sawing logs and dreaming of living Lotto large, a bad guy could be holding his nightstand handgun.

Get a dog, or is it a dog will own you? Our dog knows he's king of our castle, which is a good thing. He's extremely protective of his royal dwelling.

My EDC is an XDs .45. When I come in the house, it comes off my body and either stays in the holster or fanny pack, depending on how I was carrying it, and then sits on the dining room table. My bedroom gun is my XDM .45, with a spare magazine lying beside it. In another drawer in the house, I have my Smith & Wesson M&P R8 .357, with a couple of speed loaders loaded up. My wife carries a Smith & Wesson M&P .380 EZ, but that mainly stays in her purse. If I'm not around, or out of town, she will keep it in the bedroom at night with a spare magazine. I have a motion sensor alarm, cameras, and three dogs, one being a Rottweiler. I think we are OK, and I don't leave anything out in open sight. Kids are grown and out of the house, so no issue there. When times get strange, like hurricanes, which we've had, I'll load up one of the shotguns, and one of my rifles. Also keep a few flash lights handy.

I have plenty of time to bunker up and get the long gun. I could probably put on a pot of coffee and maybe throw a bagel in the toaster before engaging whatever is left of the bad actor if I can get the three pit bulls in my yard off of the intruder's carcass. At that point, I wouldn't need the long gun just my 1911 and a shovel. But seriously folks... I do keep the Remington 870 tactical 12 gauge by the bed. Nothing better than a street howitzer to clear the rabble from the yard.

Bedside gun can be a great thing, but, most who will likely break in, will probably go for that as soon as they get in before you get a chance to do anything, I agree, a dog would be the perfect first alarm, I do have a weapon in the room, a flash light, and just in case a knife as last resort, no dog here, but I am a light sleeper. Everyone will have a different opinion, which is good, cause you just might learn something that you haven’t thought of yet.

I see what you did there 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍

Howdy again all, appreciate your input. One thing I'll reinforce is that this isn't just a "bedside" gun, it would be a be used whenever I needed a large capacity pistol to back up a rifle/shotgun in the gravest extremes. Thus, my interest in the XDM elite with light and dot capabilities and threaded barrel. Bedside guns can be anything, but for me at this stage of life, needs to have light and optic capability. LOVE my 1911's but stopped using them for self-defense weapons quite a while back due to capacity limits (aside from my Para guns that don't allow mounting lights or optics). We have an alarm system, and dog, so this is really more about SHTF that be also be used as a "bump in the night" gun, not a carry gun. I guess at the end of the day, I'm looking to hear from anyone who actually owns and has has shot the new XDM elite OSP.

Back