testtest

Beginning Prepping: How to Start

I posted this in another discussion but it fits well here too.

/////////////////////////////////////////////
When I was 18 or maybe 19 years old I was working construction in Florida. Some of my coworkers were LDS and I would ask them questions about what they believed.

So one day the leader of their group was telling me about the concept of having a two-year stock of food put away for Hard Times and he told me a story about a friend of his.

One day his friend came to him and asked if he could borrow some money to buy groceries because he was out of work. The leader asked his friend "What about your two year Supply?"
His friend replied "I can't use that that's for hard times."

The leader replied to his friend "What kind of times do you think these are?"

That one lesson that I learned from that discussion has stayed with me almost 40 years.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////

I think if you're going to start prepping the most important first step is mindset.

Before you even buy that first bag of beans and rice you have to decide in your mind and you have to make sure that your family is on board that this is not something that we discuss outside the family.

Another thing that I think a lot of people overlook is that the purpose of prepping isn't so I can maintain my pre-pandemic lifestyle while the rest of the world around me is going to Hell.

If you're eating three squares a day and all your neighbors are BBQing their dogs you are going to stand out like a sore thumb.

Remember during the pandemic panic when anybody who was stocked up (not even hoarders but people who had stocked up over time) was damned as selfish for not sharing their supplies with people who couldn't be bothered to think a little bit ahead?

Think that won't happen again, I Dare You.

This is the last thing I'm going to say but in a way I welcomed the panic. Because it gave my wife and I a chance to look at what we had and what was hard to get and what we wished we had. I remember telling her to keep a list and to note the things that she wished we had more of when it started and that if it ever eased up those were the things that we should try to restock.

Last edited:
I don’t prep. I live in Alaska so I have the ability to be self sufficient. I have a wood stove and a generator. I use the utilities but I also have alternatives to those utilities. I have cell phones, but I also have GMRS, ham radios and CB radios. I live by one of the largest salmon streams in the world and I hunt moose and caribou.

Back