testtest

Benchmade Bugout Review — Is the Knife Worth the Price?

I have had my Bugout for maybe three years now and I have found it to be extremely satisfying as an EDC knife.

It has done everything asked of it from opening boxes to cutting steak and everything in between. Never a hiccup.

Edge retention is pleasantly good, and the fine bevel of the edge geometry helps as you can touch it up easy with steel or crock sticks. It is easy to sharpen with simple stones or Lanskey style sharpener.

The lock I never tore into but it is very positive and, this is a huge plus, unlike most liner locks, completely and SAFELY is ambidextrous. Just holding and squeezing in a normal grip will not unlock it. Like most locks of this type I believe it has its roots in the old Blackie Collins Bolt Action design of many years ago, my favorite lock since it's inception. So it's no wonder I am a fan of the Axis and Spyderco ball bearing and others of this type.

It is also easy to swap sides for the pocket clip to help with its ambi nature. I have had to remove and close up the clip twice because it got caught in the seatbelt a couple times due to where I wear it.

Worth the money? Yep, if carrying a superior edged tool is something worthwhile to you. Mine rides in my GHB due to my love of the Microtec but that's another story.

20231118_093824.jpg

20231208_095602.jpg

My wife bought me a Bugout as a retirement gift. She paid $130.00

The only issue that I have with the Bugout is I think they misnamed it.

This isn't a "Bugout" knife. I don't think I'd carry it if I was working in the trades either. This is a good daily carry knife for an office worker. I can slice the hell out of an apple or a steak or an Amazon box with it but I wouldn't want it for a backpacking trip.

Last edited:
I will admit that the only Benchmade knives I own are both fixed blades. The Puukko and it's bigger brother the Leuku. I particularly like the Puukko. The lock bolt feature is what turns me away from trying one, I just don't think I'd like it. Generally all my folders are Spyderco. For EDC I've been carrying a Endura (now Endura 4) for nearly 30 years. It wouldn't do for us all to be the same. Aren't choices great?

View attachment 48296
My wife bought me a Bugout as a retirement gift. She paid $130.00

The only issue that I have with the Bugout is I think they misnamed it.

This isn't a "Bugout" knife. I don't think I'd carry it if I was working in the trades either. This is a good daily carry knife for an office worker. I can slice the hell out of an apple or a steak or an Amazon box with it but I wouldn't want it for a backpacking trip.
I half agree. I prefer partially serrated blades for the woods, but as much as I think that, I find myself using it very seldomly and usually just on rope or other stuff the Bugout would do just fine on. S30V steel holds an edge very well. I have touched up S30v and M390 with diamond or ceramic rods, but with Benchmades and Microtechs I will send them back to the mothership when they need sharpening.

I just bought a Osbourne Barrage Tanto with a partially serrated blade and axis lock that will serve in that capacity though.

Last edited:
I half agree. I prefer partially serrated blades for the woods, but as much as I think that I find myself using it very seldomly and usually just on rope or other stuff the Bugout would do just fine on. S30V steel holds an edge very well. I have touched up S30v and M390 with diamond or ceramic rods, but with Benchmades and Microtechs I will send them back to the mothership when they need sharpening.

I just bought a Osbourne Barrage Tanto with a partially serrated blade and axis lock that will serve in that capacity though.
I have never warmed up to the American Tanto with the chisel reinforced tip, ever since Bob Lum put it on his tanto and Cold Steel really sent into mega stardom.

For my taste the most common original style Japanese tanto tip is both a better utility knife and weapon. The chisel style tip works better on the full sized Katana or Wakazashi (sp). Just my preference.

ONJR22SSM12__05_1024x1024.jpg
Tanto-BT-White-BG-crop.jpg

Top thr most common original tip style and Bottom is the reinforced style more American style Lum adapted But I am seeing more hybrids where the blade grind is flatter not chisel and the tip profile has been narrowed and more sweeping and less angular which I find a particular interest in, perhaps the best of both ideas?

I have never warmed up to the American Tanto with the chisel reinforced tip, ever since Bob Lum put it on his tanto and Cold Steel really sent into mega stardom.

For my taste the most common original style Japanese tanto tip is both a better utility knife and weapon. The chisel style tip works better on the full sized Katana or Wakazashi (sp). Just my preference.

View attachment 48305View attachment 48309
Top thr most common original tip style and Bottom is the reinforced style more American style Lum adapted But I am seeing more hybrids where the blade grind is flatter not chisel and the tip profile has been narrowed and more sweeping and less angular which I find a particular interest in, perhaps the best of both ideas?
I'm not huge into Tanto blades at all. I prefer drop point. This one was on sale on Black Friday at 5.11 and couldn't pass it up though.

inR4fOZ.jpg

I have had my Bugout for maybe three years now and I have found it to be extremely satisfying as an EDC knife.

It has done everything asked of it from opening boxes to cutting steak and everything in between. Never a hiccup.

Edge retention is pleasantly good, and the fine bevel of the edge geometry helps as you can touch it up easy with steel or crock sticks. It is easy to sharpen with simple stones or Lanskey style sharpener.

The lock I never tore into but it is very positive and, this is a huge plus, unlike most liner locks, completely and SAFELY is ambidextrous. Just holding and squeezing in a normal grip will not unlock it. Like most locks of this type I believe it has its roots in the old Blackie Collins Bolt Action design of many years ago, my favorite lock since it's inception. So it's no wonder I am a fan of the Axis and Spyderco ball bearing and others of this type.

It is also easy to swap sides for the pocket clip to help with its ambi nature. I have had to remove and close up the clip twice because it got caught in the seatbelt a couple times due to where I wear it.

Worth the money? Yep, if carrying a superior edged tool is something worthwhile to you. Mine rides in my GHB due to my love of the Microtec but that's another story.

View attachment 48294
Beautiful piece there bud love the grips on that .357.

As far the original post. They are great knifes. I own two both bought for me as gifts. I love them although they are not me EDC’s.

I don't really understand the love for the Bugout. It is the blah of all of Benchmade knives. The Grip seemed like a better designed knive. The Bailout seems to be the all around better knife. After they discontinued the 808 Loco, I switched over to Spyderco. Great knives.

Back