testtest

Beretta 92-96 series pistols

we got stuck with them in 96 iirc
they arrived in a box from ups. dropped off at the duty office, non de script box
we had no idea they were inbound. so we sat in the office and checked them in and made sure they passed a visual. then took all 24 to the range to make sure they worked OK :ROFLMAO:
then the next week we started first round of swapping them out with senior aircrew. took about a month to get them all in and train the crews.
i hated turning in the 45s..a whole box of almost pristine pistols..i mean who would have missed them :eek::ROFLMAO:

I have a beretta 92FS it feels real iconic in my hands I would never get rid of it . My is about 1990 born date
I have only had mine for 6 months or so -- my first Beretta. Like you, I don't think I'd ever let it leave. A bit heavy but almost zero kick.

It was a test, you passed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230915_171708_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915_171708_Google.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 51

I have a beretta 92FS it feels real iconic in my hands I would never get rid of it . My is about 1990 born date
i have 2, one Italian made in blued, and one USA made in satin SS.

love them both, and hope to keep them as long as i keep my 3 CZ's.

I hate the Beretta M9 when the USAF first got them. Many of us opted to keep our S&W model 15 after we complained and our Commander allowed us that option. Then when I changed bases I had to learn how to shoot it and then I really Liked it.

The military should have upgraded to the M9a3 or a4

We were not given that option, get to the range and get qualified!

I was lucky even though I did Nuke Security the USAF actually had a decent small arms program. And we shot handguns a lot because of linear cramped spaces (missile silos aircraft etc) and we **** PPC matches wvwry weekend many of us used our issues Model 15 (we had to draw it from the armory and run in when done)

I was also lucky that I went in in 1986 and pretty much all my Flight Chiefs and CATM instructiors were Vietnam vets and I felt they taught us and mentored us right (still use the FBI method to reload my Wheelguns)

Last edited:
Shooting my buddies M9A4 made me realize I needed a Beretta. Went in looking for an A4 but left the shop with a 92XPD. Hard to quantify how well it shoots. I tried to compare it to my Prodigy but they both shoot well.... just so very different, if that makes any sense.

Either way, it shoots unlike most of the other full size 9mm's i've shot. Don't think i'll ever part with mine, except to maybe send it to LTT for a trigger job. But I may just buy a new one from LTT and keep the 92XPD.

If I was smart I would have taken @HansGruber 's advice and just bought an LTT version outright, but you live and you learn.

Beretta 92, 96's are great firearms but I've never been able to bond with them. I can shoot them accurately.

One of my cousins has a Beretta 84 (380) that I like a lot. Not enough to spend money for a used one or a clone but 84's fit my hand better than 92's or 96's.

I have a Beretta APX first generation I like a lot but once I got the Glock 19 Gen 5 it went in the gun safe and only comes out to get cleaned/lubricated once in a while...:)

I think it's great when you find a handgun that fits you so well it practically becomes part of your wardrobe. For me this used to be a Springfield Armory or Ruger Commander sized 1911's

Nowadays it's a Glock 19 Gen 5. I recently acquired a Walther PPS M2 that's gaining as much favor as the Glock 19. Once I added bigger grips to my S&W 638 Bodyguard it became another favorite.

If I were to only be able to have one, the Glock 19 would be it, but fortunately I do not...:) Maybe that's why I don't foresee ever moving away from Texas..:)

The USAF gave me a series of handguns to carry over the years starting with the Model 15, then a Model 36 3", then a chopped 1911, then a 92, and finally an M11 Sig. The 92 was the easiest to shoot accurately for me, just too darn big for concealed carry for many agents. In the final analysis, I think the M11 was superior to the others for all around purposes.

The USAF gave me a series of handguns to carry over the years starting with the Model 15, then a Model 36 3", then a chopped 1911, then a 92, and finally an M11 Sig. The 92 was the easiest to shoot accurately for me, just too darn big for concealed carry for many agents. In the final analysis, I think the M11 was superior to the others for all around purposes.

Some of those you mentioned sound like AF OSI guns. Wasn’t that a (semi) custom 1911 for a hot minute from the USAF Gunsmith shop at Lackland?

Some of those you mentioned sound like AF OSI guns. Wasn’t that a (semi) custom 1911 for a hot minute from the USAF Gunsmith shop at Lackland?
Yes I was an OSI agent. The .45 was produced based on a design the Lackland gunsmiths built for Gen Curtis Lemay. We had to replace the Model 36's that were shaving lead. Quality control was an issue with the 1911 conversions that went to the field. A great idea but inconsistently executed. Many of the guns would only run with the magazine they were shipped with. A lot of guys loved them, some not so much. Colt later produced a gun called thd New Agent that was basically the same design. What we had really wanted was the S&W Model 39 but HQ had other ideas. Losing the .45 was a disappointment but the 92 was a kind of relief.

Yes I was an OSI agent. The .45 was produced based on a design the Lackland gunsmiths built for Gen Curtis Lemay. We had to replace the Model 36's that were shaving lead. Quality control was an issue with the 1911 conversions that went to the field. A great idea but inconsistently executed. Many of the guns would only run with the magazine they were shipped with. A lot of guys loved them, some not so much. Colt later produced a gun called thd New Agent that was basically the same design. What we had really wanted was the S&W Model 39 but HQ had other ideas. Losing the .45 was a disappointment but the 92 was a kind of relief.

I was active USAF from 1986-1993 I’m not sure when the switch happened but I know OSI through then were running Sig 228’s (I was issued a 228 with DOJ for about 10 years and lived it)

Supposedly OSI wasn’t found if the M18 and have their own contract with Glock 19 Gen 5 or the 26

I was active USAF from 1986-1993 I’m not sure when the switch happened but I know OSI through then were running Sig 228’s (I was issued a 228 with DOJ for about 10 years and lived it)

Supposedly OSI wasn’t found if the M18 and have their own contract with Glock 19 Gen 5 or the 26

Agents can now buy and carry their choice from an approved list. For basic issue agents can choose a G19 or G26 that they procured to replace worn out M11's but I think they still have some P228/M11's for issue. A lot of older agents just stayed with the M11. It it a hard gun to beat. A lot of agents just choose to carry their own so there is a variety.

Back