testtest

Bersa Thunder Break-In

wmg1299

Professional
I found a new Bersa Thunder 380 last week for under $250 at one of my favorite shops. I'm not a big enough James Bond fan to shell out the cash for a Walther PPK, but I couldn't pass up that deal for a PPK clone. I did my usual break down and cleaning before I fire any new gun, and found the inside of the gun to be absolutely covered in a thick, brown oil. It wasn't quite as bad as the cosmoline on my Chicom SKS, but it was close.

I've got the gun cleaned and am planning to take it to the range tomorrow. I'm not looking to waste any ammo, so I'd appreciate if any of you who own a Bersa Thunder can give me any insights on what type of ammo it likes. I've got some Winchester White Box with a flat nose, and some Blazer Brass with a round nose (both 95 gr.). If any of you have found that the gun won't run either of those rounds, I'd be very grateful for a head's-up. Thanks.

My bro has one and he shoots Hornady Critical Defense and Rem Golden Sabers. I have a German PPKs and a PPK; they are finicky as all hell regarding ammo.

But his Bersa doesn’t seem to care what it eats.

My bro has one and he shoots Hornady Critical Defense and Rem Golden Sabers. I have a German PPKs and a PPK; they are finicky as all hell regarding ammo.

But his Bersa doesn’t seem to care what it eats.

That's good to hear. My only JHP rounds in .380 are Winchester Silvertips and a few boxes of Monarch. I will probably run one magazine worth of each to see which is more accurate. I'd love to put a few hundred rounds through it, like I usually do with a new gun, but the current ammo situation makes me very reluctant to deplete my stash. I had it drilled into my head as a young man that you clean a gun every time you shoot, and it's a habit I can't break, but I always feel a little silly cleaning a gun after 25 rounds.

That's good to hear. My only JHP rounds in .380 are Winchester Silvertips and a few boxes of Monarch. I will probably run one magazine worth of each to see which is more accurate. I'd love to put a few hundred rounds through it, like I usually do with a new gun, but the current ammo situation makes me very reluctant to deplete my stash. I had it drilled into my head as a young man that you clean a gun every time you shoot, and it's a habit I can't break, but I always feel a little silly cleaning a gun after 25 rounds.

It was drilled into me at a young age to clean after firing your firearm also. I have gone out hunting rabbits or quail and not fire a shot but when I came in the house I tore the shotgun down and gave it a quick once over.

I have never felt silly for cleaning a firearm no matter how many or few rounds were fired out of it. Take care of your firearms and they will take care of you. ;) (y)

Some of my guns (ie those PPK models) are overly sensitive to crud so I always clean them after I shoot them even if it’s only 20 rounds. But my other guns aren’t as sensitive so they get cleaned after a few hundred rounds or if I shoot some particularly dirty Ammo.

In general, I try to keep all of my carry guns cleaned, oiled and ready to go. I can see my reflection in the feedramp.

I’m not sure what ball ammo bro shoots in his bersa but I’ve noticed that he tends to buy the rounded nose vs flat nose FMJ.

Back