testtest

Best Co-Witness Red Dot for Saint 556

DavidDSmith

Operator
Hey guys & gals, what would be the best absolute co-witness sight/red dot for my Saint 5.56 ? That will not break the bank on me. * Because I'm poor and need ammo.

Last edited:
Depends! What type are you wanting/needing? Prism, tube, holographic or reflex (open and closed). there are several under $300, but some don't have a pic mount (that's extra). Holosun could be a good choice, but don't own any. Other than that Vortex Venom has worked well for me (both pistol and rifle). Sig and Leupold are my other go-to's when on sale.

Best for the money??? -
I went with the Holosun 510C (green) -
(On my Saint Edge pistols.....now ATF approved SBRs)

1703978709659.png

Co-witness (to the fixed sights?) is a dependent on mount/sight height not the type/brand of red dot.

Yes.

I'm only familiar with Holosun and Sig Romeo 5.

The Sig Romeo 5 - co-witness direct with AR iron sights with factory provided riser
Holosun 503/403 - 1/3 co-witness with factory riser (I have switched out the riser for direct co-witness with these.)
Holosun 510 - direct co-witness with iron AR sight right out of the box.
Holosun AEM - 1/3 co-witness with factory riser.

Based on the OP question -
I thought the Holosum 510C might be a great choice as it does what he wants right out of the box - without getting into the weeds over riser height. Quick release on the 510C is also a great feature.

Co-witness (to the fixed sights?) is a dependent on mount/sight height not the type/brand of red dot.
Most full size units come already set up to co-witness with ARs. I can't speak to the Aimpoints and Eotechs, but I can tell you the Holosuns do.

Also, it may be helpful to the OP to list the price range of those Aimpoints and Eotechs. I don't know exact numbers but they are up around the $500 and up range. For that kind of money I'd just go ahead and get a Steiner.

Just my opinion, but I have zero faith in Eotech and they are heavy, suck batteries down and have a not insignificant failure rate lately. I know more than a couple "Operator" types that won't use them. Never heard anything bad about Aimpoint. They are light on features compared to the Holosuns though. And while I may not be military or LEO I do put a lot of time in training and shooting. My ammo bill is significant. I like the Holosun reticles and feature set and see no reason to spend twice as much for something I won't like as much, even if it is US made and allegedly more reliable. I used to say that if I was tasked with using a weapon to save my life or the lives of others I would spend the extra money for those highly regarded optics, but at this point with the abuse I have hurled at all these Holosuns without ever experiencing a problem ( or even hearing about anyone else experiencing a problem) I think I'd just stick with the Holosuns. I really like the 510c, but I like the 512c a little better, being that it's a closed emitter. They no longer make it however other than in the Titanium model which is up around $600. It's replacement I guess is the Holosun AEMS. I'm sure it's a solid optic, but I don't care for it aesthetically. The odds of a closed emitter saving the day are small ( for me) and I have used the 510s in the rain and snow and rolling around in the dirt with no issues. And if I was a guy deploying to the sand somewhere I would likely just fork over the cash for the titanium version of the 512 and be done with it.

These are my opinions based on my experience and are not intended to cast doubt or aspersions on any of the other opinions listed in this thread.

On my ARs with a FSB co-witness is a plus, but on ARs without a FSB, and folding BUIS front sights, its' less so since the red dot or LVPO is the primary sight with the folders as back-up.

With red-dots or a LVPO I want the optic mounted as close to the bore axis as practicable. I use QR mounts on the optics so I can pop them off in case they go down, but I can still get a front sight picture thru them in an emergency.

With either an absolute or lower 1/3 sight relationship I'm still GTG. All this is different on a shotgun that has a lower stock drop.

My .02

BTW - I prefer Romeo 5's.

Primary Arms SLX 1, 3 or 5 microprism. Three separate red dots that come 1X, 3X or 5X. Etched reticle is available even if the batteries go down. Probably the best, most flexible mounting system, IMO, of any red dot. Blows the Romeo 5 out of the water, but is also twice what the Romeo 5 costs.

Primary Arms SLX 1, 3 or 5 microprism. Three separate red dots that come 1X, 3X or 5X. Etched reticle is available even if the batteries go down. Probably the best, most flexible mounting system, IMO, of any red dot. Blows the Romeo 5 out of the water, but is also twice what the Romeo 5 costs.
Slightly more than twice what the Romeo costs. It's in the same neighborhood as the 510c.

Back