testtest

Best compacts for EDC

Antonio

Operator
I traded my full size pistol for a pair of Hellcats this month because of size and weight for EDC but miss the less recoil and accessory options for full size.
The older sub/micro compacts XD-S Mod.2 OSP 3.3" and Defend Your Legacy Series XD 3" look like decent size alternatives according to the compare chart. But the new and heavier XD-M Elite 3.8" compact OSP has a higher magazine capacity.
Has anyone tested it yet?

Attachments

• EDC compacts.png
    EDC compacts.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 196
I have the non-OSP version and it is a good shooter. Shoots just like any other XD-M. Great trigger! The grip is shorter than I would like, but my pinky finger has just enough room on the grip to find a secure place to rest.
But you can swap out for an extended mag right? Only other thing I would suggest to Springfield is to make a mag that is right in between. Not a compact and not quite a full size. I get that you can not make everyone happy, but the biggest thing people talk about when going from on frame size to another is how big the difference is.
I am in much the same boat. I am willing and kind of even want to give a little on size so it carries a little better, But a micro is out of the question for me and a compact would be perfect with just a touch more.
So it would seem the xd-m elite would be perfect with a 16-17 round mag which spits the difference between the standard 14 round and the full size 19. just enough for a little more comfort, But with edc in mind.

But you can swap out for an extended mag right? Only other thing I would suggest to Springfield is to make a mag that is right in between. Not a compact and not quite a full size. I get that you can not make everyone happy, but the biggest thing people talk about when going from on frame size to another is how big the difference is.
I am in much the same boat. I am willing and kind of even want to give a little on size so it carries a little better, But a micro is out of the question for me and a compact would be perfect with just a touch more.
So it would seem the xd-m elite would be perfect with a 16-17 round mag which spits the difference between the standard 14 round and the full size 19. just enough for a little more comfort, But with edc in mind.
Correct. I purchased 3 19-round extended magazines for classes, so I don't have to reload as much. This model uses the same magazines as the original 3.8 Compact.

I have the original XD-M Compact 3.8", and carry it IWB using a Crossbreed Supertuck, or OWB using a Crossbreed Snapslide. It's more concealable than you might think, and the same applies to the new XD-M Elite Compact. At the range, or in my nightstand, I tend to keep a 19 round mag in it, which gives you a full grip. For carry, I go with the 13-round mag, with the 19 round as a spare. I have 2 of the 13 round and 3 of the 19 round magazines at the moment (I try to have 5 for each of my pistols).

With the XD-M Elite Compact, you gain 1 round in both size magazines, but you will have to remove the flared mag-well extension in order to use the extended magazine and achieve a full sized grip frame.

In my mind, the 3.8" compact is the ideal weapon, as it is pretty much a duty sized barrel (almost 4"), compact with the short mags, and gives you a full sized grip with the extended mags.

I also landed on the original XDM Compact after carrying both the XD subcompact and the XDS. The Xdm compact is an amazing gun combining size, concealment, and shootability. The snap of the shorter guns isn’t there but the 13/19rd mags gives you a choice of concealability and full size capacity. I carry the 13 with the 19 backup in my pocket.
The XDM Elite Compact is an excellent choice!

You guys are selling me on this.
I have not held one, so I can not say that I can't stand the grip size, so it may be a non issue. However it may be and the option to change it for minimal cost is a exceptional idea. That is why I think an in between mag size (frame size) would really work with this forward thinking concept. It gives you one more way to customize your fire arm, and when it comes to edc fire arms there has not been that option. You pretty much get what you get and that is it. Sorry if you don't like it and thank you for your money type of deal.

I carried a 3" XD9 for years, before replacing it with my hellcat early this year. The increased recoil affected my shooting at first noticeably. But now, I shoot the hellcat just as well, if not better as I didn't run an optic on the XD. I can't see myself going back to carrying the XD now. The weight and thickness difference is very noticeable day to day.

I really like my EMP CCC if carrying something other than a sub. I will purchase a 4" Shield Plus when my LGS gets restocked
I do like the Shield Plus but it lacks a rail like the EZ model. My girlfriend's Shield EZ has less recoil than my Hellcat but then almost anything bigger than sub/micro compact will.

My favorite Springfield EDC is still the 9mm XD-S Mod.2. The gun comes with 0ne 7-round and one 9-round magazine, but the 8-round magazines fit my hand perfectly. I really wanted to like the Hellcat for the increased capacity, but it just wasn't as comfortable to shoot. My build also made it easier to conceal the XD-S due to the gun's flatter, more spread-out profile.

I haven't fired the XD-M Elite 3.8" Compact, but I do own the older XD-M Elite 3.8" with the full-size grip. My XD-M Elite, which has the same trigger and barrel as the Compact, is one of my favorite range guns. It is definitely harder to conceal than the XD-S, due to the slide and grip width, but it is more fun to shoot.

I also have an XD Mod.2 Compact (similar in size to the XD 3"). It is reliable and accurate, but is more difficult to conceal than you would think. Like the Glock 26, it is just too short and wide to hide. I also needed to run the full-size mags to get a full 3-finger grip. While it is a good gun, it really didn't offer me any concealment advantage over the 4" model, which I shot more accurately. YMMV based on your build, hand size, and personal preferences.

All three of the guns are excellent choices, but if you are able to conceal a pistol with a wider slide, I think the XD-M Elite Compact would be the way to go (assuming you can find one in-stock).

My favorite Springfield EDC is still the 9mm XD-S Mod.2. The gun comes with 0ne 7-round and one 9-round magazine, but the 8-round magazines fit my hand perfectly. I really wanted to like the Hellcat for the increased capacity, but it just wasn't as comfortable to shoot. My build also made it easier to conceal the XD-S due to the gun's flatter, more spread-out profile.

I haven't fired the XD-M Elite 3.8" Compact, but I do own the older XD-M Elite 3.8" with the full-size grip. My XD-M Elite, which has the same trigger and barrel as the Compact, is one of my favorite range guns. It is definitely harder to conceal than the XD-S, due to the slide and grip width, but it is more fun to shoot.

I also have an XD Mod.2 Compact (similar in size to the XD 3"). It is reliable and accurate, but is more difficult to conceal than you would think. Like the Glock 26, it is just too short and wide to hide. I also needed to run the full-size mags to get a full 3-finger grip. While it is a good gun, it really didn't offer me any concealment advantage over the 4" model, which I shot more accurately. YMMV based on your build, hand size, and personal preferences.

All three of the guns are excellent choices, but if you are able to conceal a pistol with a wider slide, I think the XD-M Elite Compact would be the way to go (assuming you can find one in-stock).

I would have bought the XD-M Elite Compact instead of the Hellcats if I could have found them but still might later.

I do like the Shield Plus but it lacks a rail like the EZ model. My girlfriend's Shield EZ has less recoil than my Hellcat but then almost anything bigger than sub/micro compact will.
I was leaning toward a M&P also. I stopped in the other day and asked when he might be able to get one in and what price he could get it for. He basically said I was sol. I said you sure you do not want to check and give me a call? He said nope.
So I guess given that I was willing to wait for a couple months, there went that sale.
Now I am back to looking at the XD models.
I was reading something last night that I had not thought of. The guy was saying that on the XD-M Elite compact, should you choose to take off the mag well and run the 20 rd mag, that you might have to get used to getting your hand out of the way if you are trying to bang another mag in. However at 20 rds, I wonder how many times that situation is actually going to present itself. I mean one mag basically is like carrying two mags for many side arms.

Last edited:
I was leaning toward a M&P also. I stopped in the other day and asked when he might be able to get one in and what price he could get it for. He basically said I was sol. I said you sure you do not want to check and give me a call? He said nope.
So I guess given that I was willing to wait, there went that sale.

I went into a Sports Academy for the first time ever last week. They had 3 of them sitting right there on the shelf. My main LGS has them in stock as well.

I went into a Sports Academy for the first time ever last week. They had 3 of them sitting right there on the shelf. My main LGS has them in stock as well.
Yeah, I told him that I have seen them online and in stock. Basically I think he wanted me to buy something he had in stock ( biggest inventory around) or was not that interested in finding and selling me what I wanted.
Which is fine, I can order things and just have them shipped to an FFL.

What I really want to know is this. Why can I get a xd-m elite 3.8 compact that is optic ready, but not a xd-m elite 3.8 full size that is optic ready??
That makes no sense, they are the exact same gun, except grip length, correct? Same slide and barrel?
I guess, I am leaning towards the full size, as I think I will run the full size mags even if I had the compact, but it would be nice to have the optics ready option, should I ever decide to do that.
That and the mag that is in between a compact and full size for the compact version are my two biggest suggestions to Springfield. Now if they would like to send me versions of all their fire arms and of all new ones in the future, I would be happy to critique for them on a fire arms for opinion basis. :) :)
Otherwise my salary requirements are pretty steep as I am getting older and need to retire in style. :) :)

Last edited:
So I guess given that I was willing to wait for a couple months, there went that sale.
I was reading something last night that I had not thought of. The guy was saying that on the XD-M Elite compact, should you choose to take off the mag well and run the 20 rd mag, that you might have to get used to getting your hand out of the way if you are trying to bang another mag in. However at 20 rds, I wonder how many times that situation is actually going to present itself. I mean one mag basically is like carrying two mags for many side arms.
You can find both the 3.1" and 4" Shield Plus on some of the online shops

Was perusing the Academy Sports site, and saw they currently (about 30 minutes ago) have the M&P Shield Plus, 3.1" barrel, available. $549.99

Looking at the PX online site also, for those eligible to shop there; and they had it also.

Back