testtest

Best long range caliber

I don't hunt anymore, but I've always liked shooting long distances, and even ordered a special Winchester Model 70 22-250 with a 24" (maybe 26, I can't remember) bull barrel (many) years ago with a Unertal 15x scope for Woodchucks and gophers at 500 yards. (13+ lbs total)

I like to reload, and always have, whether it's pistol or long gun.

But I'd like to get a new gun , and was talking to a dealer the other day who shoots the 300 (338?) Win Mag without the belted case at 1250 yds with a 30x scope and silencer. (He only uses 24x)
So we got to talking about the standard 300 belted case Win Mag, the unbelted version, and the 338 Win Mag, Lapua, etc. Just an overall conversation which took in being able to get the materials to reload also. I may have goofed up the calibers, but I'd like to hear from someone who also does this for sport or personal satisfaction.

No BMG stuff or 50 cal.

Money is an object of part of the discussion, obviously, I'm retired and limited to a degree. I'll probably sell one of my other guns to help that issue a little. So it's the make of gun and caliber that's the two questions here. There's so many new guns and calibers out there, and new ones are being developed.

Any reasonable comments and advice are welcome.

Robert

It all depends on how far you want to shoot based on available ranges, how much recoil you want to deal with, whether you're just going to shoot off a benchrest or have something you'll also carry in the field, and how much you want to spend on the rifle, ammo, optic and associated gear to shoot and count holes in the target.

Successfuly shooting long-range isn't easy.

My .02

Last edited:
It all depends on how far you want to shoot based on available ranges, how much recoil you want to deal with, whether you're just going to shoot off a benchrest or have something you'll also carry in the field, and how much you want to spend on the rifle, ammo, optic and associated gear to shoot and count holes in the target.

Successfuly shooting long-range isn't easy.

My .02
Yep. I agree
Have a deer lease buddy who sets his zero at 400 yards. Former SWAT sniper. I cant see a deer that far let alone shoot it. Its all relative to what your desire and needs are.

.300 Win Mag is great, but so are 10 diff calibers and 100 diff rifle set ups.

paper puncher or game shooting or both ..

My long range caliber is .243 in a Savage or 22 magnum Savage. Only two scoped rifles I own. Occasionally used for deer and coyote. Most of my hunting these days is handgun though.

Hello Ride, hope all’s well…

I too am interested in a new scoped rifle, although just like you, I don’t hunt anymore either.

You asked about suggestions: I’ve noticed the Mossberg Patriot rifle setup package with Vortex scope runs just below $600 from at least one retailer. Mossberg is an old & respected name in American firearms (although in my area, they generally mean shotguns:) ).
It kinda seems to me I read differing opinions as to quality or accuracy a year or so ago. Others here might know more about it. But maybe worth a look. I’m leaning .308 but they go to 300WM.

good luck in your search, and let everybody know what u decide !

Well, since you said money is an object, .408 CheyTac is out. Probably the best long range caliber going...but spendy; very spendy.

Honestly, since reloading is an option? .338 Lapua if you want to consistently break 1k or further. You can get a Savage 110 for under a grand, and upgrade it as you go.

Going by locally availability on rifles and ammo is usually best option. 35 Rem is good ammo for example, but 308 is usually more available. Your reloading experience will somewhat help. Usually same with rifles. But, that's here. Good brands can vary from place to place. Usually, that caliber rifle is easier finding in good quality firearm, same with ammo, at a fair price from my experience. Figure out your purpose and intent, what's locally available and go from there is my suggestion. Let us know how you go and good luck on your quest.

Well, it seems to boil down to two cartridges, the 6.5 CreedMore or 338 Lapua.
According to others, some ranges won't even let you on with the 338 unless it's silenced.
It's also twice as expensive to reload.
I've been reloading all my adult life, so I have some experience there, but I use a progressive press, which I probably would be better going to a single stage press for accuracy.

Unless you're independently wealthy, money is always an object. In retirement, even more so. But that suggestion on the Savage is nice. I was told to send it out to have it properly bedded, though, I can't remember the guys name. His MOA was cut in half by doing so. Then get a better trigger, probably a Timney for target work with 8 ounces of pull. (suggested)

Right now it's a really bad time to be looking into this, as nothing is available, no powder, primers, bullets, cases...nothing.

Then I read an interesting piece from PowderValley on the reason people can't get what they want has a lot to do with people using "software bots", like is done on Ebay. As soon as the powder is on the site, it's gone to somebody with a "bot", so nobody has a chance to call. Always someone ready to scam the system.

But one fellow, got his reload cost for the 338 down to a little over $1 a cartridge. The initial outlay is a lot though, like any caliber change.

But several sites and my reloading manual quoted the 6.5 cartridge as the most accurate cartridge ballistically in the world.

Lot's of scopes available though...

I love my 6.5 CMs, all bolt guns, 2 LR set-ups & 2 hunting, all very accurate and easy to shoot.

I don't hunt anymore, but I've always liked shooting long distances, and even ordered a special Winchester Model 70 22-250 with a 24" (maybe 26, I can't remember) bull barrel (many) years ago with a Unertal 15x scope for Woodchucks and gophers at 500 yards. (13+ lbs total)

I like to reload, and always have, whether it's pistol or long gun.

But I'd like to get a new gun , and was talking to a dealer the other day who shoots the 300 (338?) Win Mag without the belted case at 1250 yds with a 30x scope and silencer. (He only uses 24x)
So we got to talking about the standard 300 belted case Win Mag, the unbelted version, and the 338 Win Mag, Lapua, etc. Just an overall conversation which took in being able to get the materials to reload also. I may have goofed up the calibers, but I'd like to hear from someone who also does this for sport or personal satisfaction.

No BMG stuff or 50 cal.

Money is an object of part of the discussion, obviously, I'm retired and limited to a degree. I'll probably sell one of my other guns to help that issue a little. So it's the make of gun and caliber that's the two questions here. There's so many new guns and calibers out there, and new ones are being developed.

Any reasonable comments and advice are welcome.

Robert
Best long range caliber have been able to find is 6.5 GAP.
Pricing? Have seen 6.5 GAP ammo prices all over the place from a buck or two a round on up.
Seems like may be a caliber worth reloading?

A bit of info on the 6.5 GAP:

Back