testtest

Best Oil for Rust Prevention?

wmg1299

Professional
I've been rehabbing an injury that has limited my workouts to just walking or light jogging. I throw a Ruger LCP II in a pocket holster in my shorts when I run or jog. I have always cleaned my carry guns on a regular basis to get rid of pocket lint and other crud that finds it's way into my pistol. I have started to notice rust repeatedly forming on the part of the LCP's slide that is not covered by the pocket holster. I've tried using both Hoppe's and Wilson Combat Ultima Lube II (both the standard oil and the all-in-one) on the slide, but the rust keep reappearing. Have any of my fellow forum members found an oil that does a good job at preventing rust, especially rust resulting from sweat?

I have been using Lucas Oil Extreme Duty CLP, it works pretty good for rust protection plus it states it’s good for finger print acids and handling.

“Used and recommended by major firearms manufacturers, Lucas Oil Extreme Duty CLP is designed to clean, lubricate and protect your firearms in one simple step.

It contains high grade additives that dissolve powder residue, old lubrication and other contaminates. It penetrates deep into rust to help clean neglected firearms and free rusted parts and actions. Extreme Duty CLP’s superior anti-wear additives reduce friction and wear while the unique waterproof, super slick film resists blow out and extends firearm life and runtime.

The special formulation leaves behind a microscopic layer of protection against rust and corrosion caused by handling, fingerprints, moisture and harsh environments, including salt water. Used by major firearms manufacturers to coat and protect firearms prior to shipping, the solvent based Extreme Duty CLP aerosol contains a unique drying agent that leaves your firearm clean and protected from rust and corrosion without any gummy residue.”

From Lucas Oil web site, comes in aerosol or bottle, I use the bottle myself.

I have been using Lucas Oil Extreme Duty CLP, it works pretty good for rust protection plus it states it’s good for finger print acids and handling.

“Used and recommended by major firearms manufacturers, Lucas Oil Extreme Duty CLP is designed to clean, lubricate and protect your firearms in one simple step.

It contains high grade additives that dissolve powder residue, old lubrication and other contaminates. It penetrates deep into rust to help clean neglected firearms and free rusted parts and actions. Extreme Duty CLP’s superior anti-wear additives reduce friction and wear while the unique waterproof, super slick film resists blow out and extends firearm life and runtime.

The special formulation leaves behind a microscopic layer of protection against rust and corrosion caused by handling, fingerprints, moisture and harsh environments, including salt water. Used by major firearms manufacturers to coat and protect firearms prior to shipping, the solvent based Extreme Duty CLP aerosol contains a unique drying agent that leaves your firearm clean and protected from rust and corrosion without any gummy residue.”

From Lucas Oil web site, comes in aerosol or bottle, I use the bottle myself.
Exactly what he said. ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

I've been rehabbing an injury that has limited my workouts to just walking or light jogging. I throw a Ruger LCP II in a pocket holster in my shorts when I run or jog. I have always cleaned my carry guns on a regular basis to get rid of pocket lint and other crud that finds it's way into my pistol. I have started to notice rust repeatedly forming on the part of the LCP's slide that is not covered by the pocket holster. I've tried using both Hoppe's and Wilson Combat Ultima Lube II (both the standard oil and the all-in-one) on the slide, but the rust keep reappearing. Have any of my fellow forum members found an oil that does a good job at preventing rust, especially rust resulting from sweat?

Rustprufe.

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to mention in my original post that I clean the pistol with Ballistol each time, prior to adding extra oil. I think I still have a few Lucas Oil samples in some of my XD cases. I'll give them a try after this week's cleaning.

Just about any gun oil works fine. Depending on the application I use either Weapon Shield in a syringe applicator or a spray can of Rem Oil.

I've tried several different oils myself i really liked the Lucas that came with my xd but usually I get the cheapest I can find however we are getting in a better financial position so soon i will be able to afford some better stuff

I use Break Free CLP oil and Tetra gun grease where needed. It has worked for me for 15 years now so I don't think I will be changing anytime soon.

There are many good gun oils out there . Pick one and use it. (y)

With all the products out there. So far all the stuff mention works, but are limited. CLP I used to go thru a gallon a month for that stuff, but to say its a Cleaner Lube Protection. Its has one damn good use, It kills red ants. No BS spray some on a ant mount and the next day you will see not one ant. Its like a bomb went off. Now for the CLP it does it ok all parts of there claim. IMO the best is a stuff is call BARRICADE made by Birchwood Casey. I again in IMO I use it on the Motor mans weapon, which in our raining season (3 month) its a daily event. Using Barricade on there weapons handle the issue of rust.
Its not cheap but it works.

With all the products out there. So far all the stuff mention works, but are limited. CLP I used to go thru a gallon a month for that stuff, but to say its a Cleaner Lube Protection. Its has one damn good use, It kills red ants. No BS spray some on a ant mount and the next day you will see not one ant. Its like a bomb went off. Now for the CLP it does it ok all parts of there claim. IMO the best is a stuff is call BARRICADE made by Birchwood Casey. I again in IMO I use it on the Motor mans weapon, which in our raining season (3 month) its a daily event. Using Barricade on there weapons handle the issue of rust.
Its not cheap but it works.
I used to use sheath/barricade for years, when they changed the formula years back, to me, it didn’t work as good as the old Shealth, I messed around with other products and found, in my opinion, Lucas products work, my brother uses Balistol, I don’t like the smell, when I had AR’s I strictly used Breakfree on them, worked great, but in my area, it was hard to find anymore. Most of the deputies I worked with used breakfree back then, some used Mobile One and transmission fluid also. So, your going to get a bunch of different opinions on this, to me, as long as your satisfied with the product you are using, and it works for you, that’s all that matters.

I still use both. Barricade works for me

Attachments

• 20200921_125807.jpg
    20200921_125807.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 237
Take your pick, so many good options out there. Like the post above me, Birchwood makes a “silicone” rust preventative I have that I have had good luck with. Any of the “top” CLP oils out there will serve you well. When you come in, especially when it’s hot/humid come in and wipe your pistol down. I have a dedicated rag or towel that I use just for that purpose.

I don't know if you worked around cops, but the last thing their thinking about is taking care of there gun. 95% will not even dry it. I have a officer telling me that one of his rear night site is burn out. After removing the BBQ sauce off the sight it was good to go.

If you guys have a spray bottle full of CLP and a Ant nest you want to remove. Trust me on this spray some on top and NOT a boat load of it, just to cover the top. Let me know what you see in the morning.

Back