testtest

Best Practices for Hunting with an AR-15

I dunno, but it seems to me anyone who would take an AR15 on an Elk hunt, is sorely lacking in the 'best practices' arena. Now I don't mean that as an insult, and yes I'll admit it will/can take an Elk sized animal with a well paced shot. But then so will a .22 caliber.

What I'm alluding to is just how small that rifle/caliber is for trying to take what is probably one of the 4-5 largest mammals in the country. It's simply not adequate for Elk sized game in the average hunter's hands, and probably in the hands of some even better than average. Of course there are a few who can shoot through an Elk's ear hole at some pretty respectable distance on a perfect day, with perfect weather, with perfect loads, and a perfect shot.

If you're that guy, then I congratulate you on your shooting ability, however I still reserve the right to say just how imperfect your choice would be. (y)

Well, I don't know if I am that guy but because of my handicap(not a mental one) I hunt with a Stag Leftie AR-15 in 6.8 SPC and have had zero problems with white tail or moose. Now for Bear of course I have to use a different caliber .17.... NO... just kidding 30-06 with a little help.

Well, I don't know if I am that guy but because of my handicap(not a mental one) I hunt with a Stag Leftie AR-15 in 6.8 SPC and have had zero problems with white tail or moose. Now for Bear of course I have to use a different caliber .17.... NO... just kidding 30-06 with a little help.
Certainly no disrespect intended there Hawkeye, but I was primarily talking about the .223 and/or the 5.56mm cartridge rather than specifically the AR platform. Your 6.8 SPC is considerably more capable than either of those two.

And if you shoot leftie, you're already up on some of the more common shooters. LOL! Us southpaws have to stick together as much as possible. Right? (y)(y)(y)

Certainly no disrespect intended there Hawkeye, but I was primarily talking about the .223 and/or the 5.56mm cartridge rather than specifically the AR platform. Your 6.8 SPC is considerably more capable than either of those two.

And if you shoot leftie, you're already up on some of the more common shooters. LOL! Us southpaws have to stick together as much as possible. Right? (y)(y)(y)
Lefties rock ! We know how to take hot brass to the face every now and then.

The modularity of the AR-15 definitly makes it capable for taking larger game when an appropriate upper with a larger cartridge/caliber is used than the .223/5.56.

And it's big brother, the AR-10, makes it just a capable as a traditional rifle for larger game.

Thank you so much for your positive comments! It is much appreciated! Yes! Us south paws MUST stick together!
GOD BLESS You and Yours

[QUOTE="Talyn, post: 60900, member: 1965" ]
The modularity of the AR-15 definitly makes it capable for taking larger game when an appropriate upper with a larger cartridge/caliber is used than the .223/5.56.

And it's big brother, the AR-10, makes it just a capable as a traditional rifle for larger game.
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely! That's why I specified I was primarily referring to the cartridge rather than the rifle.And I love me some of those AR10's.

When someone mentions hunting with an AR-15, I'll be honest, my mind doesn't go to elk or moose. Coyotes, definitely. Deer, probably. I took the Saint Victor to the range yesterday to get it dialed in with it's new MRO-HD & Magnifier. My 10yo will be on the prowl for Bambi in 2 weeks and that gun is the perfect fit.

Back