testtest

Best Practices for Stockpiling Food

That's about it, too. Starting a garden and things like that means you're just growing food for the toughest guy in the block.
Well, maybe toughest isn’t quite the right word. Most willing to resort to rank brutality seems more apt. Of course coupled with the means and skill to be effective.
Just want to point out that my comment was in jest. I won’t be stealing from my neighbors.

Food supplies should be organized into various levels.

1) Short-term consumables = i.e. stuff in the frig & freezer, plus garden produce
2) Mid-term " = canned/dried food with a several years lifespan.
3) Long-term " = commercially-prepared food with 10-25 year life spans such as Freeze-dried & dry canned

Food supplies should also include multi-vitamins & supplements, and well as iodized salt.

Sources vary.

My .02

Food supplies should be organized into various levels.

1) Short-term consumables = i.e. stuff in the frig & freezer, plus garden produce
2) Mid-term " = canned/dried food with a several years lifespan.
3) Long-term " = commercially-prepared food with 10-25 year life spans such as Freeze-dried & dry canned

Food supplies should also include multi-vitamins & supplements, and well as iodized salt.

Sources vary.

My .02
"...Food supplies should also include multi-vitamins & supplements, and well as iodized salt."

I have the standard iodized table salt on-hand, but hadn't given any thought to multi-vitamins/supplements. I don't use them, so could be why I had not considered them, but it's so ething worthwhile thinking about including. 👍

"...Food supplies should also include multi-vitamins & supplements, and well as iodized salt."

I have the standard iodized table salt on-hand, but hadn't given any thought to multi-vitamins/supplements. I don't use them, so could be why I had not considered them, but it's so ething worthwhile thinking about including. 👍

Without adequate Vitamin C you'll get scurvy, and your hair and teeth will fall out before you die.

Interesting article on the best practices to stockpile food, good article for the times we have today.

Very good article Anni,
Thanks for posting. Covered bases well. Am surprised they mentioned toilet tank water as being considered potable, most over look that....It may be until refilled with unpotable water. (Toilet bowl is reserved for Fifi- kiddin'.)

Another thing worth mentioning is finding a good reliable manual can opener. Once found, buy two, one as a backup. Not as easy finding good ones as they once were before the cheap shoddy import invasion. A good rule of thumb is to also rotate food reserves by purchase and expiration date. More recent ones to the rear. Takes time, but is worth doing.

What do you guys think of products like this?

I have water, canned foods and Emergen-C drink mix but I've always wondered about purchasing something like this.

It has a 25 year shelf life. Has anyone purchased this or something similar? If so, how is the taste? Better than MREs?

My wife is half crazy and stockpiles everything. Plus we live out in the middle of nowhere, so there is that.
I bet we have 12 gallons of water on hand at any given time, enough coffee to last months, our freezer is mostly full, she used to sell advocare, so we have all sorts of drink mixes that are high in vitamins and some for energy, so on and so forth. Not big on canned food, but we have a cabinet with maybe 50 cans of different stuff. Plus I grow a garden. In the end if I had to, I have about 1,000 gallons of water in the cistern, but I have no idea how many years it has been in there, but a guy could run it through a home made still and probably get by.
I wish I had a gas barrel and a diesel barrel, but I just do not have a place to put them without really making the yard look trashy (we have 1/2 acre is all).
Plus like I said she buys in bulk, so tp, paper towels and all that stuff we have.
We never even changed our buying habits for the whole covid crap.
Except ammo, a guy could always use a little more ammo. It goes so fast and really goes fast with two of us shooting.
OH and I grow heirloom stuff, so I always harvest some seeds for future gardens.

I have water, canned foods and Emergen-C drink mix but I've always wondered about purchasing something like this.

It has a 25 year shelf life. Has anyone purchased this or something similar? If so, how is the taste? Better than MREs?

Mass market product. It will keep you alive but may get old eating it evert day. You'll likely want to drink more H2O to wash it down.

3+ meals needs per day to make it to the 1000 cal. requirement.

Review - https://momwithaprep.com/a-review-of-wise-foods-freeze-dried-foods/

Best advice is try before buying large quantities. Not much worse than an unhappy camper.

Oh, I'm a student, and this topic is far from me. I have my own apartment, but I know I'm too lazy for this, which is why I'm asking my mom to send me stockpiling food. TBH, I don't even have time for cooking, what about canned food. Since I moved, I started ordering online subscription boxes, and I don't remember home food. Maybe only for the holidays when I go to my parents ' house and enjoy my mother's delicious food. However, everyone has their own tastes, and if my mother finds out that I'm not eating normally, then I think I will be left without ears)
Student? Studying mom's cooking? You may end up w/BS degree?

I went with Legacy Foods when I ordered some back-up freeze-dried foodstuffs. As Talyn mentioned, you need to consider calorie intake. I have an order due here this Friday that has freeze-dried (diced) chicken and (diced) beef, plus eggs. It's a 171 serving count pkg. I already had their 120 serving Brkfst, Lunch, Dinner pkg, but decided I needed to add some proteins to the mix.

Free shipping.

25 yr shelf life.

Here's a comparison chart from their site of them and a couple of other companies. Scroll down page when it loads.

Back