testtest

Best Rimfire Cartridges — .22 Magnum vs .22 Long Rifle

For pure volume, .22LR is hard to beat; and it’s plenty effective if it’s limitations are acknowledged and planned for.

That being said...I do like my .22WMR’s in both handgun (the 351PD was in my jacket pocket today as I ran some errands) and rifles; I have both an Anschutz bolt action and a HK300 in the caliber, and both are very capable rifles, easily kills larger varmints to 200 yards if I do my part.

I’ll take ‘em both.

I own matching Ruger 77/22 and 77/22WRM All Weather Boat Tails, both scoped. I hunt with both and we practice with both on the range.

Each one has its own place. The WRM has taken lots of coyotes, raccoons, and even a cougar years ago. The LR has taken lots of squirrels and several opossum* as well as uncounted number of rats and pigeons and rabbits.

If I could only have one gun, it would be the WRM and I would headshoot the food.

The test should have included Yellow Jackets and Vipers in the .22LR ammo. The results would have been closer. The ammo shortage being what it is may have made that impossible however. If one wanted to get exotic, the now no longer manufactured .22LR Devastators would have really moved the bubble at closer ranges in terms of "stopping power" but would have eliminated the meat.

* If I had the WRM readily available it would have been a much better choice. It took four rounds of .22LR on both of them to get the job done.

I own matching Ruger 77/22 and 77/22WRM All Weather Boat Tails, both scoped. I hunt with both and we practice with both on the range.

Each one has its own place. The WRM has taken lots of coyotes, raccoons, and even a cougar years ago. The LR has taken lots of squirrels and several opossum* as well as uncounted number of rats and pigeons and rabbits.

If I could only have one gun, it would be the WRM and I would headshoot the food.

The test should have included Yellow Jackets and Vipers in the .22LR ammo. The results would have been closer. The ammo shortage being what it is may have made that impossible however. If one wanted to get exotic, the now no longer manufactured .22LR Devastators would have really moved the bubble at closer ranges in terms of "stopping power" but would have eliminated the meat.

* If I had the WRM readily available it would have been a much better choice. It took four rounds of .22LR on both of them to get the job done.
According to a MN DNR officer I know, .22WMR is the most common cartridge used for poaching deer around here.

I have always liked .22 WMR, but did most of my plinking with .22 LR. That was when .22 LR was cheap and .22 WMR was running a few bucks more per box than 9mm. Nowadays I'm constantly finding .22 WMR on the shelf for less than half the price of 9mm, and I can't find .22 LR at all, so I've been firing a lot of .22 WMR.

I'll still take my stash of .22 LR when simply plinking with the kids, but .22 WMR is my choice for everything else. My Rock Island XT22M is my favorite 1911 variant to take to the range, and I fully trust my S&W 351C or 351PD as defensive pocket guns.

I was in our local Academy about 2 weeks ago and looking for 20 gauge trap loads which they had zero of-but they had all by it's lonesome in the ammo shelves only the Hornady 22 WMR in the redboxes.I almost bought some but I have plenty for now.

Back