testtest

Black Friday acquisitions

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
My fav LGS had a limited BF sale. Picked up some Winchester 9mm fmj for $12.50/bx of 50.

They also had a good stock of Tula in various cartridges. Purchase limits were in effect, but they had other stuff w/o limits.

Ordered a .38 Super barrel to get fitted to my recent RIA 9mm 1911 so I can swap out between the two cartridges, and a Magpul enlarged mag well for a Glock.

Also, picked up some NOS "niche" ammo at another LGS at old prices

Last edited:
So far I picked up a few stripped lowers, a .300blk complete upper, 5.56 complete upper, 9mm/.45acp upper with mlok rail, Rise Armament AR 140 trigger, Phase 5 BCG, some buffers, tubes & stocks, Tipton ultra vise, and some .300blk Hornady match reloading dies.

Not on black friday but I also purchased a Dead Air Mask .22lr suppressor last Friday (started the paperwork process) so hopefully I'll have it in about 6 months.

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas for me....😁👍

I got some .223 hollowpoints, and a few new guitar pedals.

If only the pedals could make me sound like SRV...

Which pedals?

I've been a working bass player since I was 15. About 6 years ago I had 11 or 12 pedals on my board. I'm down to 2 now. A TU-3 and a completely brutal gated fuzz called Team Awesome Fuzz Machine ( which works great on guitar too.

My guitar pedals these days consist of a bunch of MXR Distortion + of varying vintages. These are the pedals Randy Rhoads used for solos through his cranked Marshalls. Including an original Bud Box from '76-'77.

It seems the older I got the less I liked relying on pedals. I never really was too into them for guitar, but I do have a few old flangers laying around which I sometimes use on bass as well as guitar. I have a bunch of cool old vintage tube amps though and they seem to give me everything I need. Once I learned to ride the volume knob. An American Telecaster through a 1961 Fender Brown Deluxe ( Keef's favorite amp) is a beautiful thing. Likewise a 1974 Rickenbacker 4001 through a 1989 Ampeg SVT II Non pro ( St. Louis made) with a 1996 Ampeg 810 ( St. Louis made) is a beautiful thing. The most dynamic SVT I own and frankly the most dynamic bass amp I've ever played. Go from clean to dirty simply by plucking harder. I'm down to 2 SVTs these days and really I need to sell my CL. I probably have 2k in NOS tubes between those two SVTs. I have a grand in tubes in the little Fender Brown.

I'm not sure what amp/cab you run, but you should check out the new (ish) Celestion Alnico Cream 90. The things it did for my little Brown. Gives me wood just thinking about it.

Which pedals?

I've been a working bass player since I was 15. About 6 years ago I had 11 or 12 pedals on my board. I'm down to 2 now. A TU-3 and a completely brutal gated fuzz called Team Awesome Fuzz Machine ( which works great on guitar too.

My guitar pedals these days consist of a bunch of MXR Distortion + of varying vintages. These are the pedals Randy Rhoads used for solos through his cranked Marshalls. Including an original Bud Box from '76-'77.

It seems the older I got the less I liked relying on pedals. I never really was too into them for guitar, but I do have a few old flangers laying around which I sometimes use on bass as well as guitar. I have a bunch of cool old vintage tube amps though and they seem to give me everything I need. Once I learned to ride the volume knob. An American Telecaster through a 1961 Fender Brown Deluxe ( Keef's favorite amp) is a beautiful thing. Likewise a 1974 Rickenbacker 4001 through a 1989 Ampeg SVT II Non pro ( St. Louis made) with a 1996 Ampeg 810 ( St. Louis made) is a beautiful thing. The most dynamic SVT I own and frankly the most dynamic bass amp I've ever played. Go from clean to dirty simply by plucking harder. I'm down to 2 SVTs these days and really I need to sell my CL. I probably have 2k in NOS tubes between those two SVTs. I have a grand in tubes in the little Fender Brown.

I'm not sure what amp/cab you run, but you should check out the new (ish) Celestion Alnico Cream 90. The things it did for my little Brown. Gives me wood just thinking about it.
I’m gonna try the Jetter line of pedals. I’m on a tone quest to build a lightweight Dumbly kind of rig. My main amp is a Mesa TA30 but it’s too heavy. Now I’m mainly using my Quilter to see if I can get away from tubes.

I got a ‘Dude’ pedal today to compare to the Jetters ... it was either a few pedals or a new guitar neck. I chose the pedals. This time.

Which pedals?

Oh and thanks for the info on the speaker. I will look up some info on it.

Looks like you’ve got as much money tied up in tubes as I’ve got tied up in guitar pickups.

Tone chasing. It’s a sickness.

Oh and thanks for the info on the speaker. I will look up some info on it.

Looks like you’ve got as much money tied up in tubes as I’ve got tied up in guitar pickups.

Tone chasing. It’s a sickness.

Of all the pickups and tubes and guitars I've went through, the biggest game changer was that speaker. I was the guy who could hear the difference between the actual Vintage Vintage 30 and the modern Chinese made Vintage 30. I have a closet full of Vintage 30s now. I really should sell them, but nah... Anyway, best $300 I ever spent on an amp right there.

My fav LGS had a limited BF sale. Picked up some Winchester 9mm fmj for $12.50/bx of 50.

They also had a good stock of Tula in various cartridges. Purchase limits were in effect, but they had other stuff w/o limits.

Ordered a .38 Super barrel to get fitted to my recent RIA 9mm 1911 so I can swap out between the two cartridges, and a Magpul enlarged mag well for a Glock.

Also, picked up some NOS "niche" ammo at another LGS at old prices

I,m more than a little disgusted with online "stores" selling 9mm ammunition for $.90 - $1.00/round...whose kidding who ...this is price gouging pure and simple. And I thought I was being taken advantage of a couple of weeks ago when a LGS was charging $35.00/50 rounds...maybe I wasn't and should have bought more.

Of all the pickups and tubes and guitars I've went through, the biggest game changer was that speaker. I was the guy who could hear the difference between the actual Vintage Vintage 30 and the modern Chinese made Vintage 30. I have a closet full of Vintage 30s now. I really should sell them, but nah... Anyway, best $300 I ever spent on an amp right there.

I don’t know all that much about speakers other than blue vs green in a Vox. I’ve never changed a speaker in a nice amp; I’ve only done it in moddable little Champs.

I know exactly what you mean about hearing subtle ‘tones’. I can tell the difference between a real PAF and repro PAF. I am also the only person in the entire world who prefers the sound of a Twin Reverb ... at bedroom volumes. My dream amp is a Dumble ODS set at the edge. That amp sounds exactly how music sounds in my head. I’m saving up for it’s $300k price tag, lol, but in the meantime, I’m settling for a $200 pedal.

I,m more than a little disgusted with online "stores" selling 9mm ammunition for $.90 - $1.00/round...whose kidding who ...this is price gouging pure and simple. And I thought I was being taken advantage of a couple of weeks ago when a LGS was charging $35.00/50 rounds...maybe I wasn't and should have bought more.

Imagine what the 50 rd box price will be come January...

I felt the same way as you earlier this year but then I hit a point where I said, ‘you know what, I need the ammo and the price is only going to go up so if I’m gonna buy it, I’d rather buy it at today’s price than at a future higher gouged price’.

It’s either buy now at high price or buy later at higher price or wait it all out without knowing when the prices will come down again.

Greenbacks are ceramic magnets. The Blues are 30 watt Alnico. Alnico typically gives you that chime like the early British Invasion sound. Mostly associated with Vox amps. The Cream 90 is a 90 watt Alnico that is darker and smoother than a Blue. It breaks up later due to increased power handling which gives you more clean headroom. For instance I’m running one in a 22 watt Fender. So I get smooth and creamy ( think Clapton with Blind Faith) until I crank it and open up the volume knob on the guitar, then it’s very much an Alice In Chains vibe.

Greenbacks are ceramic magnets. The Blues are 30 watt Alnico. Alnico typically gives you that chime like the early British Invasion sound. Mostly associated with Vox amps. The Cream 90 is a 90 watt Alnico that is darker and smoother than a Blue. It breaks up later due to increased power handling which gives you more clean headroom. For instance I’m running one in a 22 watt Fender. So I get smooth and creamy ( think Clapton with Blind Faith) until I crank it and open up the volume knob on the guitar, then it’s very much an Alice In Chains vibe.

Yup, the blue vs greenbacks are the extent of my speaker knowledge. I prefer blue. A couple of friends are trying to convince me to try a swamp thang in a Quilter enclosure for my Quilter amp but I’m not looking forward to my amp/speaker weighing more than 19 lbs.

My BF LGS owner stashed some stuf away for the local customers for today. His costs keep going up on what he can get.

Don't know if he broke even or lost $$ on the stuff today, but was looking out for the locals. IMO costs will keep going up, and package sizes will come down. I think 50 rd boxes are soon to go away, to stretch out what's being produced.

Yup, the blue vs greenbacks are the extent of my speaker knowledge. I prefer blue. A couple of friends are trying to convince me to try a swamp thang in a Quilter enclosure for my Quilter amp but I’m not looking forward to my amp/speaker weighing more than 19 lbs.
Lots of guys like Swamp Thangs. I admit I like Eminence drivers. They’re all I ever use in bass cabs or analog PA enclosures. I’m not a particular fan of their guitar speakers though. The bad thing is YT demos are useless for trying to figure out what speakers to use so you wind up with a closet full of speakers you don’t like. Lol.
I love the Blues. Weber Bulldogs and Scumnico are great too. I’ve had them all.

I didn't have much luck with new purchases. Everything I was interested in online seemed to be sold-out, and the local Academy shelves were empty. I had planned on buying a Heritage Rough Rider that the leaked Academy ad had listed for $79. Apparently the leaked copy was wrong, because the actual sale price was $119. I like the Rough Riders, but I can usually get numerous models with both the .22 LR and .22 WMR cylinders for that price at other stores.

I did get lucky in that ammo I ordered from Bass Pro arrived in the mail today. I finally found .380 ACP in stock and ordered a few boxes. I've had several orders from Bass Pro cancelled shortly after they were placed due to "Insufficient Inventory", but these actually went through and arrived pretty quickly.

The only reason I've been cutting Bass Pro some slack is that they are still selling ammo on the website for within a few bucks of pre-Covid prices. The .380 ACP was $18.99 for a Blazer Brass box of 50, which was the most reasonable price I've seen in awhile. I was also able to pick up 12 boxes of Blazer aluminum-cased 9mm rounds for $14.99 per box of 50. I normally prefer to shoot only brass in my pistols, but at least the aluminum will allow me to get some range time over the next few months.

Picked up a Bushnell Nitro 6-24x50mm, 30mm tube, SFP, SF, w/sunshade scope from Midway USA for 50% off ($275). Been on sale the lst couple of days.

I have one of these already & its a good scope.

Back