testtest

Black Hills HoneyBadger 10mm Review

I determined several years ago that the Lehigh Xtreme Defender bullet was probably the best bullet money can buy for home/self defense, bar none! I usually have the Underwood versions in my EDC but velocity wise they are the same as the Lehigh loaded ammo. I usually load all my own ammo, including home/self defense ammo because I can monitor every step of the loading process. I can (and do) check a lot of things on factory ammo but I don't know that every case has a flash hole or as much powder as it should. I know these things for a fact when I load them myself. However, I have been unable to get any closer than about 200 fps or so of the factory ammo velocities and with these bullets, velocity counts! So I carry factory ammo (which is also flash suppressed, something not available to reloaders; some Accurate powders such as Silhouette are "reduced flash" but only in certain circumstances), and load either the Lehigh bullets or Speer Gold Dots (hard to find these days, especially 10mm) to the best velocities I can, without getting crazy. Since the Honeybadger & Lehigh bullets are essentially the same, I will agree with the author, these bullets are great!
Cheers,
crkckr

There's a BIG difference between deep penetration in ballistic gel and getting through thick hide, muscle & bone on a griz and./or large animals that could attack you "if" you live in areas where they're common.

The light-weight but fast load in the article may work well on 2-legged varmits & thin-skinned 4-legged game animals, but I'll stick with hot, heavier hard-cast Buffalo Bore/Underwood loads and some other capable loads for more dangerous critters in my area.

My .02

Last edited:
A u tube video I saw (u tube took it down for some reason), that convinced me regarding these bullets, showed a guy shooting a freshly killed wild pig, I believe it was 125 lbs, in the shoulder with a 9mm, 90 gr. Xtreme Defender bullet. The bullet went all the way thru the shoulders, stopping under the off side hide. Everything between the entrance hole and where the bullet exited the muscle was essentially mush. Between my own tests and what I saw in that vid convinced me these bullets just cannot be beat! Admittedly, they are no where near as dramatic when shot into clear gel, but when using 10% ordance gel or water is when they are most impressive. The penetration is quite consistent in all of tests I've seen but I haven't seen any live shots on any critters, although there are folks who have said they've taken deer size game with .357, .44 and 10mm XD. bullets that say they have gotten complete pass throughs. I cannot vouch for them because I haven't actually seen it. But I'm not, knowing what I know about these bullets, going to call them liars, either.

At the same time, if you're dealing with something that can hurt or kill you, you can't go wrong with hard cast, deep penetrating bullets for bear and such. Yeah, I've heard the stories about someone killing grizz with a 9mm, but that's a story I will never tell... maybe with a 10mm, because that's what I carry but the chances of me meeting up with a grizz is pretty remote, to the point I never worry about it! Mostly I worry about the 2 legged vermin, for which I feel adequately armed!
Cheers,
crkckr

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Black Hills HoneyBadger 10mm Review” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/black-hills-honeybadger-10mm-review/.

I enjoyed the article Roy, but firearms involved not withstanding, the FBI agents involved used somewhat questionable tactics. A variety of firearms were involved, including .38 special, .357 magnum, 12 gauge shotguns and 9mm pistols. The bottom line is eight FBI agents had difficulty dealing with two bad guys.
That said, I have been a fan of the 10mm since seeing one at the NRA convention in Reno in 1987, and bought a Delta Elite in November of that year. When you consider the variety of people who are FBI agents it's not surprising the 10mm was not suitable for many. Most agents fire their weapons at qualification and not elsewhere. Most agents never fire their weapons in combat. Weapon proficiency requires more, and had the agents involved been more proficient in tactics and weapons deployment, that tragedy may have been avoided.

Not a comment on just this article, but on many more just like it - why does every article reviewing a 10mm firearm or 10mm ammo have to start with several paragraphs recounting the entire history of it? Who cares.

...and for that matter, why are we still re-hashing why, or why not, the FBI made the decision it did 30+ years ago? It has absolutely zero bearing on anyone deciding to shoot 10mm in the year 2023.

There's a BIG difference between deep penetration in ballistic gel and getting through thick hide, muscle & bone on a griz and./or large animals that could attack you "if" you live in areas where they're common.

The light-weight but fast load in the article may work well on 2-legged varmits & thin-skinned 4-legged game animals, but I'll stick with hot, heavier hard-cast Buffalo Bore/Underwood loads and some other capable loads for more dangerous critters in my area.

My .02

This.

Last edited:
Not a comment on just this article, but on many more just like it - why does every article reviewing a 10mm firearm or 10mm ammo have to start with several paragraphs recounting the entire history of it? Who cares.

...and for that matter, why are we still re-hashing why, or why not, the FBI made the decision it did 30+ years ago? It has absolutely zero bearing on anyone deciding to shoot 10mm in the year 2023.
I totally agree.

Not just the history of the 10mm but every article here has about 25-50% of lead-in filler material before you get to the "real" stuff that the article is titled about.

My .02

Underwood has been selling this ammo for pretty much 10 years or so....

Hey, quite off the subject, but have you read Geddy's new book ? " My Effin' Life".

I'm about halfway through it. It's pretty good. I like the Big Beautful Book of Bass better, but I am most assuredly biased.

Back