testtest

Blades for Self-Defense: Fearsome or Foolhardy?

I have a very similar knife. It’s a Buck skinner. Gutted a lot of deer with it.

Your story notwithstanding, I’ll still take a baseball bat over a knife every time.
I didn’t have a baseball bat and neither will you if you are attacked on the street. I had a folding Buck knife, and my story is not a fictional matter, one way of the other, it’s what happened.

And while I am here, I know of guy that was struck with a baseball bat, and it broke his arm. I went down from my apartment to help him, and I would have stopped the assailant if I had to. I would have put a big rock right into his chest.

If my stories sound pretty rough, well they are.

I have never been stabbed, but I have been hit in the head with a light steel tube. It nearly knocked me out, and left a scar 3 inches long. But it did not go well for my attacker, I stopped him with a $30 Buck folder, then I stood trial and I was acquitted. In my view, a Buck folder is an excellent defender, when things hit the fan.

View attachment 22205

I have one of these and it’s very light, and I can drop into my pocket, or wear it on my belt.
And I can fight with it if I have to, so it’s as good of a knife as I will ever need.
Those Old Timer knives are great. Affordable and always very sharp right out of the box.

I didn’t have a baseball bat and neither will you if you are attacked on the street. I had a folding Buck knife, and my story is not a fictional matter, one way of the other, it’s what happened.

And while I am here, I know of guy that was struck with a baseball bat, and it broke his arm. I went down from my apartment to help him, and I would have stopped the assailant if I had to. I would have put a big rock right into his chest.

If my stories sound pretty rough, well they are.
No one said it was fictional. And the reality is the odds of me needing either are about the same. I’ve been in situations with both and was merely making an observational statement about my opinion based on my experiences. Which I have no intention of going into here.

Those Old Timer knives are great. Affordable and always very sharp right out of the box.
I like mine, and I like the way that it looks. I am a city boy, and I got that knife for dogs and thugs.
If a dog attacks me, he can chew on that knife and not my fingers.

I know that I sound pretty hard, but I have had some bad things happen to me.

No one said it was fictional. And the reality is the odds of me needing either are about the same. I’ve been in situations with both and was merely making an observational statement about my opinion based on my experiences. Which I have no intention of going into here.
OK, I was just relating what happened to me, and maybe I am too Frank for my own good.
This is not meant to malign anyone here, but nothing bad will ever happen to you, if you choose to stay locked up in your apartment, or drive away in your car.

And that’s what the vast majority have chosen to do.

OK, I was just relating what happened to me, and maybe I am too Frank for my own good.
This is not meant to malign anyone here, but nothing bad will ever happen to you, if you choose to stay locked up in your apartment, or drive away in your car.

And that’s what the vast majority have chosen to do.
I don't think you're too frank. I think possibly you could read a little more carefully and/or not make assumptions over admittedly vague internet posts. I'm definitely not an apartment dweller or a guy who stays locked up anywhere. I've spent the last 9 years working on the streets of north St. Louis ( Google if you are unfamiliar) and led the exact opposite of a sheltered life, growing up in STL.

It just seemed a little pointless to bloviate too much over knives and bats when everyone has guns.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, Sharade knives are a shadow of thier former selves. Since they were purchased by Taylor Brand knives and production was moved to China the quality is not nearly as nice. Same thing happened to MARBLES knives when Smokey Mountain knives bought them.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, Sharade knives are a shadow of thier former selves. Since they were purchased by Taylor Brand knives and production was moved to China the quality is not nearly as nice. Same thing happened to MARBLES knives when Smokey Mountain knives bought them.
Too bad things always go’s to pot when made in China cheap materials

I don't think you're too frank. I think possibly you could read a little more carefully and/or not make assumptions over admittedly vague internet posts. I'm definitely not an apartment dweller or a guy who stays locked up anywhere. I've spent the last 9 years working on the streets of north St. Louis ( Google if you are unfamiliar) and led the exact opposite of a sheltered life, growing up in STL.

It just seemed a little pointless to bloviate too much over knives and bats when everyone has guns.
The thread topic is Blades For Self Defense: Fearsome Or Foolhardy. I have been to Saint Louis and I had a Super Blackhawk under my front seat. The events that I related happened in Huntington WV, which has been invaded by Detroit.

I know some guys from Detroit, I met them in jail while awaiting trial. They will flat out kill somebody.
And if I talk much, it’s to get my point across. Huntington has become a haven for heroin, meth and fentanyl.

The whole nation is turning dangerous, and my next gun may be an XD .45 auto, for CC.
A knife is an auxiliary weapon.

The thread topic is Blades For Self Defense: Fearsome Or Foolhardy. I have been to Saint Louis and I had a Super Blackhawk under my front seat. The events that I related happened in Huntington WV, which has been invaded by Detroit.

I know some guys from Detroit, I met them in jail while awaiting trial. They will flat out kill somebody.
And if I talk much, it’s to get my point across. Huntington has become a haven for heroin, meth and fentanyl.

The whole nation is turning dangerous, and my next gun may be an XD .45 auto, for CC.
A knife is an auxiliary weapon.
Well if we are going to stay militantly on topic then my opinion is this, which I have already implied a few times. As a last resort it could be the difference between life and death. As a primary tool for self defense, I say foolhardy. Anyone who claims they can train you to be or are themselves a trained " Knife fighter" is an idiot. The old axiom, " The only way to win a knife fight is to not get into a knife fight" comes to mind.

Quote:
Should it hit the proverbial fan, a trained shooter would reach for their firearm versus a knife. But what if your firearm wasn’t an option and your everyday carry (EDC) knife ends up being your primary defensive tool?
End quote.

And that’s how the article started. You are making leaps of thinking, and my militancy is warranted. I have no intention of choosing a knife over a gun, I explicitly chose a gun in my last post.

OK, I will give it a rest.

Definitely agree that one should be comfortable and proficient with whatever they are carrying. I ordered a Kershaw Blur and it opens so fast I cut my finger immediately upon taking it out of the box. Think I should go back to relying on my snooty nose and haughty attitude to slice through the crowds...

When I travel, I put my knives in my shaving bag, inside my checked bag. I have also started carrying a “tactical pen” which TSA has never questioned.

I was in one knife fight as a teenager, about a year before I entered the Army. I took a slash on my off hand and was able to respond in kind to my opponent’s knife hand, causing him to drop it and run.

I hope I never get into that circumstance again. I was very lucky and it was one of two events that made me join the military to escape the crowd I was running with.

Back