testtest

Blew the dust off the XL650 last week

HayesGreener

Hellcat
I had not reloaded pistol for a couple years. I started running some .45acp and within 100 rounds it was a trainwreck. Took it all apart and cleaned it and discovered the ring indexer was broken. Dillon sent me a new one and I added a performance enhancement bearing and shell plate detent. After a bit of tinkering I got it running like new and ran a couple hundred rounds off yesterday that look pretty good. Going to the range today to see how my loads work. I don't know why the ring indexer broke when it did, I guess fatigue from age and use. I can relate to that. Dillon customer service is most excellent.

I had not reloaded pistol for a couple years. I started running some .45acp and within 100 rounds it was a trainwreck. Took it all apart and cleaned it and discovered the ring indexer was broken. Dillon sent me a new one and I added a performance enhancement bearing and shell plate detent. After a bit of tinkering I got it running like new and ran a couple hundred rounds off yesterday that look pretty good. Going to the range today to see how my loads work. I don't know why the ring indexer broke when it did, I guess fatigue from age and use. I can relate to that. Dillon customer service is most excellent.
i had to look up that part, never heard of it...a good video explains it....

and i'm glad i don't have a 650 or a 750......sheesh......i'd need a coffee break, lunch break, and a union raise for all that.

Last edited:
After several trials and adjustments I finally got my 650 reassembled and tuned for my 45acp loads. They run slick in my Sig P220, my .45 that is most fussy about ammo. Then my primer pickup tube broke. So I rolled over to the shotgun side and loaded a few hundred 28 gauge skeet loads. The struggle is real.

I managed to load 650 rounds and yesterday my new primer pickup tubes arrived from Dillon. They run great in all my .45's. As it turns out the plastic tips on the new pickup tubes were out of spec and I could only pick up 7 primers at a time. I called Dillon and they put new tips and a new tube in the mail. Dillon customer service is awesome

I've been reloading .45 ACP of late on a Dillon SD in order to shoot Wild Bunch matches. I've been using primed cases until I run out of those. During a session, I encountered resistance on the machine and the removal of the primer system solved it. I no longer live right around the corner from Dillon and would have to ship the press for a rebuild. I will eventually do that, but for now am contemplating getting a caliber conversion for my 650. It would be more pleasant and quicker in the long run.
This past summer, I replaced my cracked indexer, but luckily I had a spare. I should probably order another spare parts kit as I have used a number of pieces over time. Mine is nearly 20 years old and is necessary as food and water.

Forget exactly what they're called. For the 650 I have caliber conversions with dies & powder measures for all calibers I load. At most I have to change shell plates and primer cups. I forgot you will have to change plates, etc, on the case feeder. I might have left something out but you get where I'm coming from.

Forget exactly what they're called. For the 650 I have caliber conversions with dies & powder measures for all calibers I load. At most I have to change shell plates and primer cups. I forgot you will have to change plates, etc, on the case feeder. I might have left something out but you get where I'm coming from.
that's what i did for my 550c...i only load 4 calibers (handguns) and i have all i need for switchovers. i hate messing with dialing in the powder charge, for each caliber.

I'm not denying it's fairly expensive to go this route, but saves considerable time & headaches. I load five pistol calibers plus 223 & 308 on my 650. Thanks for your reply.
exactly, all my dies are set/(adjusted) in thier tool heads. as well as all powder drops.

good thing for me, i only reload 4 calibers.

if anything else, i was considering another fail safe rod or 2, due to the lengths of the 38 specials and 45 Colt LC

i don't want to have to keep adjusting that plastic wing nut.

I have an extra tool head and stand that I can take extra .38/.357 dies off of and put the new .45 ACP dies I just ordered. I ordered the 4 die carbide set. I can use my .45 powder measure which would only take a few turns to dial in for the .45 ACP. I'm trying to be reasonable here since I'm looking for another shotgun and may need some leather and bits for the wife as well. Kinda excited about shooting my 1911, it's been awhile.

What you say makes good sense. I could not think of Tool head. I know the actual powder charge wouldn't be difficult. Is your powder measure manual or is it shell case actuated? Either way it sounds like you're good to go. It took me a while to get the extra stuff I referred to. I didn't buy it all at one time.
Forgot you're using a 650 forget what I said about the powder measure. I thought you might be using a square Deal.

Last edited:
Well I have loaded about 2000 rounds of 45acp since getting the 650 running and tuned. Although I have managed to break two ring indexers. Went out today and shot 100 at steel with the Sig 1911 STX. They functioned perfectly. Love hearing the steel ring. If I could only load as fast as I can shoot. I am down to about 1000 primers and 1000 230 grain LRN bullets on the shelf. Pretty soon I will be scrounging for primers and bullets and down on all fours hunting for brass. My duties are never ending.

I broke my ring indexer and found a new one in my parts kit. I replaced a few other pieces while I was at it. I finished loading 1K of .45 ACP and found another 1K on my bullet shelf. Next time.
My new to me Model 12 is fully scrubbed and lubed. I test fired 3 rounds last weekend and will shoot Wild Bunch this Saturday. I'm stoked so to speak.

Well I have loaded about 2000 rounds of 45acp since getting the 650 running and tuned. Although I have managed to break two ring indexers. Went out today and shot 100 at steel with the Sig 1911 STX. They functioned perfectly. Love hearing the steel ring. If I could only load as fast as I can shoot. I am down to about 1000 primers and 1000 230 grain LRN bullets on the shelf. Pretty soon I will be scrounging for primers and bullets and down on all fours hunting for brass. My duties are never ending.
Did you send your 650 to Dillon for refurbishing? If so, were you satisfied?

My old memory isn't worth a poop. I'm pretty sure my 650 is about 30 years old. I've used several parts from the repair kits over the years. It still runs great but is showing a lot of wear.

Back