testtest

Body Armor

Bassbob

Emissary
Just a PSA really. It was time again to get a new vest. I wanted Level 3A and I wanted lightweight and something that I could wear in warm weather. It has to be covert to go under my work uniform so my choices were a little limited. I had been seeing these "Cool Max" vests from a company called Safeguard Armor/Safeguard Clothing. $360 which is a pretty decent price.
Well their ads say ships in one or two days. When I made the order they charged my card immediately. Normally this is a red flag for me since legally they can't do that. They can't charge the card until it ships. Normally when they do that it is a red flag that they will drag their feet on the shipping. It was late at night though and I didn't think about it. It also didn't occur to me until a couple days later that I never received an invoice. So they created a shipping label the next day and I got a tracking number. For 10 days the tracking info said " Shipping label created, estimated deliver date pending" So I am emailing, messaging and calling these people trying to get an invoice and find out where my vest is. It wasn't until I left a bad review on Google and threatened to reverse the charges on my card that they finally reached out to me. Then magically, this vest that was shipping from Leeds in the UK, managed to make it to my house in middle America overnight. Very shady business practices. They apparently are a legit company and I have a Google Earth image of the house across the state from me where returns are directed. They apparently have like 3 closely related affiliates that are all intermixing strangely.

Anyway, the vest came yesterday and it is as described and meets all my expectations. They apparently outfit LEO and military internationally and domestically, they just do it kind of sketchily. They get some bad reviews for this. Nevertheless, the closest thing I could find to this quality was in the $500 range, although most of that stuff comes standard with a 5 year warranty whereas this stuff is only 1 year. So we'll see how it holds up. The outer jacket is removable and machine washable. It fits nicely and isn't too bulky under my shirt, nor does it restrict movement.

My wife suggested going out back and testing it. I think she was joking. Hopefully. :)

"When I made the order they charged my card immediately. Normally this is a red flag for me since legally they can't do that. They can't charge the card until it ships."

Really? I would like to see the law or regulation or rule that confirms that.

I have no idea about the company or their practices good or bad other than what you wrote, but I am pretty sure you are wrong about when you can be charged. I'm now retired but my company always processed charges as soon as they were agreed to for over 30 years. In our case, it was services rather than products and often we were paid for services that took us a month or more to fulfill in total. No client ever complained and no credit card company ever discussed it with us.

Your post bothered me so I checked with four merchants I know well and they all informed me that in an automated online order the software automatically charges the credit card when someone clicks on the buy link.

"When I made the order they charged my card immediately. Normally this is a red flag for me since legally they can't do that. They can't charge the card until it ships."

Really? I would like to see the law or regulation or rule that confirms that.

I have no idea about the company or their practices good or bad other than what you wrote, but I am pretty sure you are wrong about when you can be charged. I'm now retired but my company always processed charges as soon as they were agreed to for over 30 years. In our case, it was services rather than products and often we were paid for services that took us a month or more to fulfill in total. No client ever complained and no credit card company ever discussed it with us.

Your post bothered me so I checked with four merchants I know well and they all informed me that in an automated online order the software automatically charges the credit card when someone clicks on the buy link.

The charge on your cc is usually listed as pending until the item ships. I was incorrect, it is not against the law, but it is against best practices and many CC companies don't allow it.

The seller is not breaking federal law by charging your credit card before she ships. The Fair Credit Billing Act and the Mail or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule protect you so you don’t have to pay for merchandise you order but never receive.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, however, many credit card issuers do not allow merchants to charge your credit card before they ship. If you want to pursue this, you should contact your credit card issuer and ask about its policies for prematurely charging your account. You can then send a complaint letter with specific information about this merchant. According to the FTC, “If you can’t ship within the promised time (or within 30 days if you made no promise), you must notify the customer of the delay, provide a revised shipment date and explain his right to cancel and get a full and prompt refund.”

Back