testtest

Bore Obstructions

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
There are numerous factors that affect exactly what the result may be when it comes to bore obstructions. In the worst cases, it can create a much more serious incident including a bulging or burst barrel, gas and shrapnel rapidly blowing back and to the sides, or the gun completely coming apart in your hands. This latter situation is obviously horrific and there are reports every year of critical injuries and fatalities being caused by catastrophic gun failures.

With good inspection and cleaning practices, you can help to avoid cases of bore obstructions from happening.

Bore Obstructions

1671502382138.png

Even muzzle loaders can have problems (Loading it twice)

Three people were injured by shrapnel when the 50-caliber muzzleloader exploded after being accidentally loaded two times before it was fired.

I've seen more shotguns damaged than rifles or pistols over the years.

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

Clean after every range time and all should be gtg. Not just cleaning alone, but bore inspection also. The borescope I have will let you use it without the angled lens and has an adjustable light for brightness.
I run a bore snake thru every weapon even if it doesnt get a thorough clean after each use.
At least get the powder loose for when it gets cleaned.

Indoor range: I do a thorough cleaning every 4-5 range trip.
If I cleaned after every use, sometimes it would be several times a week. Not really worth it for not being outdoors in the weather

Outdoor: after use if it comes out of the gun case to get dirt off it

Clean after every range time and all should be gtg. Not just cleaning alone, but bore inspection also. The borescope I have will let you use it without the angled lens and has an adjustable light for brightness.

For those who don't have a bore scope, the corner of a piece of white paper below the feed ramp/open chamber with some bright light on it and a magnifier is the poor man's alternative, although not as good as the bore scope, it's better than nothing. Works okay for pistols but, for rifles and shotguns, not so good unless it's some thing major.

Last edited:
Back