testtest

Boy Scouts of America And the (Order Of The Arrow)

So I’m sure there are many members on the forum who were involved in scouting but who remembers when after reaching the (Eagle Scout) level being invited to join the
“Order Of The Arrow”

I spent most of my youth in the Boy Scouts and reached the Eagle Scout level at 17 I was inducted into the
Order Of The Arrow at 18 and still have the sash.
IMG_4501.jpeg

Never made it to Eagle Scout. While we were stationed in Western Australia from 1975 to 1978, I did the Cub Scouts, then the Boy Scouts. Made Tenderfoot, got back to the States and then lost interest in it. I enjoyed it while we were Australia, since there wasn't much to do where we were. I still have my uniforms from there.

So I’m sure there are many members on the forum who were involved in scouting but who remembers when after reaching the (Eagle Scout) level being invited to join the
“Order Of The Arrow”

I spent most of my youth in the Boy Scouts and reached the Eagle Scout level at 17 I was inducted into the
Order Of The Arrow at 18 and still have the sash.
View attachment 40889

Times may have changed requirements for consideration but I was only a First Class Scout when I was accepted. Then it was more about how much camping you had done under the right circumstances.

Times may have changed requirements for consideration but I was only a First Class Scout when I was accepted. Then it was more about how much camping you had done under the right circumstances.
Cub Scout, First Class Scout, Explorer, and did a lot of camping but no OOTA. Camping slowed once I started playing football and baseball except for winter camping at a huge cabin my troop owned. Now, my idea of "roughing it" is a Holiday Inn! :)

Last edited:
Never made it to Eagle Scout. While we were stationed in Western Australia from 1975 to 1978, I did the Cub Scouts, then the Boy Scouts. Made Tenderfoot, got back to the States and then lost interest in it. I enjoyed it while we were Australia, since there wasn't much to do where we were. I still have my uniforms from there.
Is the scouting organization in Australia associate with the US org?
Also, do your old uniforms still fit? 🤪

Is the scouting organization in Australia associate with the US org?
Also, do your old uniforms still fit? 🤪
It was a mixed group. American scouts with Aussies as well. It was run by an American Scoutmaster who was stationed there. Maybe I will try to fit in them. I am sure my wife will get a good laugh out of it. I may have grown a few inches taller since then.........:ROFLMAO:

I became a Boy Scout in the early 60's. Some of the equipment was handed down to me from a neighbor who'd been a scout in the early 50's. The handbooks were collected over the years except for the handbook on the bottom left which which I used. Scouting was fun back then. The Scout Masters were all WWII vets and our camping trips were like going to boot camp. Sad to say, but now-a-days a Boy Scout with a knife and a hatchet would end up in jail and charged as a terrorist. Thanks Keystone for the trip down memory lane. :)
BSA.JPG

Last edited:
I became a Boy Scout in the early 60's. Some of the equipment was handed down to me from a neighbor who'd been a scout in the early 50's. The handbooks were collected over the years except for the handbook on the bottom left which which I used. Scouting was fun back then. The Scout Masters were all WWII vets and our camping trips were like going to boot camp. Sad to say, but now-a-days a Boy Scout with a knife and a hatchet would end up in jail and charged as a terrorist. Thanks Keystone for the trip down memory lane. :)
View attachment 40903
I have a knife very similar to that if not the exact model.

Do you remember the "Woodsman card" ? I think they call it something way stupider these days. Whittling card or some such thing. If you did something stupid they cut a corner off. When you lost all 4 corners you could no longer carry a pocketknife or an axe.

No. Eagle is the highest rank in Boy Scouts. Order is more like a fraternity that some scouts are invited and voted on to join.
Correct. Order of the Arrow is an invitation only group for skilled campers. You have to be voted in and you can be at anytime. Rank doesn't matter.
OA is a service organization that serves local districts and councils. A common jobs for them is prepping the local Council camps for the up coming summer camp season, staffing summer camp or take down at the end of the season.
I tried both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts as a kid, but it didn't work out. However, as an adult, I became a Boy Scout Leader for 12 years as my two sons went through the program. My oldest son and I were both inducted into the OA at the same time. Yes, adults can be in the OA. ;)

Last edited:
I was never in the Boy Scouts. Don't feel like I missed anything. Did lots of camping , and being out in the woods on my own. Fishing hunting , gigging frogs and fish , learned to shoot a bow well enough to bring bull frogs home for the table.

My parents were poor and dad worked for a farmer so when he got home from working , he didn't have time to run me back to town. Plus I had plenty of things to keep me busy at home.

I know it is and was a great experience for many kids .

View attachment 40903
Nice, very nice. The knife looks to be a vintage Marbles Woodcraft. There were however a few imitators. It was somewhat based upon the knife from the book Woodcraft and Camping by George Washington Sears, aka Nessmuk. In the book he has a drawing of his favored cutting tools, since nicknamed the Nessmuk trio. As a piece of trivia Ben Barker revealed in an interview that he used the handle from the Woodcraft as the inspiration for the sterile Vietnam very limited issued Sog bowie for MacVSog.

Is the ax a Marbles also?

ksf20140514-lessons-george-horace-nessmuk-trio.jpg

640px-SOG_Knife.jpg

Back