testtest

BP Storage

Personally, I think its dangerous, if your worried about not getting it, buy some and safely store it, since its an explosive, I think there should be regulations like Recusant said above, plus your never going to get the the formula the same every time or the first time, just my thoughts on this.

Personally, I think its dangerous, if your worried about not getting it, buy some and safely store it, since its an explosive, I think there should be regulations like Recusant said above, plus your never going to get the the formula the same every time or the first time, just my thoughts on this.
I'm following the advice of a retired ordinance officer and making my powder in very small quantities. The book I've read (and am rereading and using as my constant reference) suggests separating the ingredients and mixing small portions of two together... I'm explaining it terribly but I'll post a screenshot tonight of what I'm talking about

I think having the skill to make BP might come in handy.....
Something I learned in my journey is you can make it without sulfur though it is significantly slower.

Firing a .45 caliber ball from a specific flintlock (not mine, the video maker's) the rifle would send a ball (homemade powder with sulfur) downrange at around 1700 FPS and without at around 1100 using the exact same everything, minus the sulfur.

Nothing to write home about but still able to take game

The size of the power grain is what determines how fast it burns. On a flintlock you put 4F in the pan and either 2F or 3F in the barrel depending on caliber. You use 1F in your cannon. The larger the grain the slower it burns. Same goes for reloading. The Austin Powder Company is located just down the road from my property that I go to shoot. An employee lives across from my gate and has educated me on storing powder in large quanities. I try to never have more than a pound of powder (Triple 7) at a time. I store the plastic container in a sealed ammo can.

The size of the power grain is what determines how fast it burns. On a flintlock you put 4F in the pan and either 2F or 3F in the barrel depending on caliber. You use 1F in your cannon. The larger the grain the slower it burns. Same goes for reloading. The Austin Powder Company is located just down the road from my property that I go to shoot. An employee lives across from my gate and has educated me on storing powder in large quanities. I try to never have more than a pound of powder (Triple 7) at a time. I store the plastic container in a sealed ammo can.

That's true but sulfur is used for a reason and changing the formula shows why and how. Removing sulfur from black powder slows the velocity when using the same size powder

That's true but sulfur is used for a reason and changing the formula shows why and how. Removing sulfur from black powder slows the velocity when using the same size powder
Well, if I remember correctly from a high school chemistry class from many years ago, surfur burns and gives off a gas. So it stands to reason that removing a propellant would slow things down. Where are the MythBusters when you could use them?

Well, if I remember correctly from a high school chemistry class from many years ago, surfur burns and gives off a gas. So it stands to reason that removing a propellant would slow things down. Where are the MythBusters when you could use them?
This was actually done. I like this video and he does a better job showing what happens than I explain:

170821-nuclearexplosion-stock.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.........:):):):)

BP is really fun at night with 20 ft. flames, but I don't like running the timer for BP shooters due to the choking smoke.
Store it in some empty BP containers. Smokeless containers would probably be ok.

Back