testtest

brass polishing..??

I wet tumble in a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler.

Hot water and a healthy splash of Meguiar’s Wash and Wax car wash that I picked up on sale at Costco a little while back. It was $10 for a gallon, so it will last me a bit.

Gets the cases new looking after a couple hours in the tumbler. Just dump the old water and rinse a couple times. Usually minimal primer pocket clean up as well.

Once the wash and wax is all used up I’ll probably switch to Dawn dish detergent and a capful of Lemi Shine.

Last edited:
I didn't use to clean brass as I shot a revolver at the range and never let the empties hit the ground. At cowboy matches, it's helpful to have shiny brass which makes them easier to pick up after each shooter. The bays where we shoot are sand and gravel so it only makes sense to clean them in some way. I would not use treated media since it could abrade my dies. Using ammonia (Brasso & others) is controversial, some say no problem and others say it weakens brass.

I've got a Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler with the SS pins. Brass looks new both inside and out.

Attachments

• IMG_20231212_172729134.jpg
    IMG_20231212_172729134.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
just thought i'd ask, what do you use for polishing your brass

i have a media set up, 1 for cleaning, 1 for polishing. (both are fine walnut, i got at Harbor Freight)

for polishing i was using Nu Finish, car polish, 16 oz bottle, at like $12.00 (in my area)

today, i just tried "Brasso" a home polish for metals, which, well, includes brass.

8 oz bottle for $3.15 at walmart here, in the home section, next to the Pledge.

does a really good job as my eyes can see at a much reduced price. i put in like 6 "globs" into fresh media, let that mix for about 10 minutes, then threw in 100 45 ACP casings, for 1 hour, the usual time i let brass clean or polish.

no sense in posting pics, you all seen polished brass, besides i cannot find the USB camera cable right now.

so what (if any) polish are some of you using..????
Some polishes will weaken the brass. Use sparingly.

Pssst. If you wet tumble, most guys do not use the pins anymore.
My latest concoction with dry tumbling is paint thinner and Nu Finish. Works great and no drying or decapping rquired.

Some polishes will weaken the brass. Use sparingly.
Wright’s for hand polishing (no ammonia)
Lemi-shine & Dawn detergent … slosh the brass in a bucket with a tad of water.
Lemi- shine added to the media in a vibratory Case cleaner. All work better than Brasso
& a rag.

Back