testtest

Brass, Steel and Nickel plated

As I’m searching for ammunition like everyone else I’m running across those choices, I understand brass but is there a big difference between steel and nickel plated brass cases in reliability and use in different handguns?
My AR’s only brass I get that.

I‘m not sure about the reliability of differences between brass, nickel and steel, with brass and nickel plated I have had no issues, as for steel cases, I was advised years ago from a gunsmith friend who worked at SSK Industries, not to use steel case ammo in AR platform rifles, and he didn’t recomend it in pistols, he said that it’s harder on the extractor due to the case being not slick like brass or nickel, I know most steel cases have some kind of lacquer like coating, but it eventually gums up the chamber after some time. Now, this was just his opinion, which we all know, there are a lot of opinions on this subject.

Nickel cases are “slicker” for more reliable extraction, as well as corrosion resistance.

As for steel cases causing problems...laquered steel really isn’t used anymore, more often it’s a polymer coating that doesn’t burn off in the chamber...the way to tell us if it’s lacquered, it’s usually a slightly shiny green, similar to a satin varnish. Otherwise, if it’s grey/black, it’s a polymer coating.

I found out the hard way, (after buying 1000 rounds of steel 357 ammo), they were extremely difficult to eject from my Ruger GP100 revolver. I had to slam my hand (wearing shooting gloves), down on the extractor rod over and over to get them out. I figured it was due to either the lacquer, or steel heat expansion more than brass was the cause 🤷‍♂️. They shot OK, just difficult to eject. Now my 7.62x39 AK's eat/ejected them with no issues. These are the only 2 occurrences I have bought steel cased ammunition to date.

Nickel cases are “slicker” for more reliable extraction, as well as corrosion resistance.

As for steel cases causing problems...laquered steel really isn’t used anymore, more often it’s a polymer coating that doesn’t burn off in the chamber...the way to tell us if it’s lacquered, it’s usually a slightly shiny green, similar to a satin varnish. Otherwise, if it’s grey/black, it’s a polymer coating.
Good to know Hans, perhaps mine had the polymer coating. I just know it felt like it was coated with something. ;)

Right now it’s get what you can get. If you get steel clean your pistol well. I would prefer nickel over steel and haven’t had issues with nickel casings. And we know brass is just better.

Well, Nickel is just nickel-plated brass...and is usually considered superior to plain brass.

That’s why premium defensive ammo is nickel plated....about the only downside is that it’s not as reloaded-friendly...the nickel coating will usually flake off after only a few loadings.

Well, Nickel is just nickel-plated brass...and is usually considered superior to plain brass.

That’s why premium defensive ammo is nickel plated....about the only downside is that it’s not as reloaded-friendly...the nickel coating will usually flake off after only a few loadings.

Yes, I see what your saying. I meant in comparison I would prefer brass over all, including reloading. Your right about it loading easier or I should say better in semi autos.
Brass will expand and fill your chamber, it’s soft and won’t split. It won’t scratch or mark your gun like nickel. It’s reloadable many times.

Nickel is more corrosion resistant, feeds easier and is “slicker”. It’s more expensive than brass more brittle and can crack or split. They can be reloaded, as Hans said just not as many times. Just anneal them and if it cracks toss it. I’ve noticed the nickel plated being harder or seems harder and from my understanding it’s not so much the plating but the electro-chemical hardening of the casing. I should have said I do like the nickel plated ammo I just prefer the brass more.

Back