testtest

Breaking in the HKs

belladonna

Professional
I finally got to the range with my VP9s. I also brought my M&P 2.0. I started outwit the M&P and did surprisingly poorly. Basically sprayed the dang target. I wasn't even going to post the pic, but hey..

IMG_3967.jpeg

I hadn't fired that in a while, but no excuses. Anyway I was excited to shoot the SK, so that was next. That was a little bit better. I only had two mags for that one, and I concentrated more on grip, stance and sight picture. It turned out a little better. I did have one FTE with it, but I'm blaming the ammo. I'm getting rid of the WWB stuff and I had a lot of it loaded for today's visit.

IMG_3968.jpeg

I brought six mags for the VP9. Had a lot of mixed ammo, some WWB, some Remington...getting rid of odds and ends. Anyway, I was happy with the way it ran through it all. The first pic was the first three mags. As you can see, a few got away from me, I think I took my eye off the front sight...

IMG_3971.jpeg

The last pic, the last three mags.
IMG_3973.jpeg

I have a lot of work to do, especially with the smaller gun. I love shooting these HKs though. They give me lots of incentive. As usual guys, I welcome feedback and tips. TIA!

Stick with the VPs. :)

Combat accuracy is excellent. It will tighten up with practice. Slow down, work on fundamentals. Particularly trigger press. All in all I think you done good.
Thank you. I run what you said in another post through my head. Mainly keeping my eye on my front sight...good sight picture. You are right also about the M&P. I love the way it shoots, but the VPs feel better for some reason.

I failed to mention that all my practice was done at 10 yards.
10 yards is good. Worry about distance after the "One ragged hole" stuff starts. :)
Even then distance with a pistol with regards to training is 25 on the outset. Almost all my training is done at 15 yards.

And the VP9s are just easy to shoot well in my experience. I think I actually prefer the SK to the full size.

I finally got to the range with my VP9s. I also brought my M&P 2.0. I started outwit the M&P and did surprisingly poorly. Basically sprayed the dang target. I wasn't even going to post the pic, but hey..

View attachment 52510

I hadn't fired that in a while, but no excuses. Anyway I was excited to shoot the SK, so that was next. That was a little bit better. I only had two mags for that one, and I concentrated more on grip, stance and sight picture. It turned out a little better. I did have one FTE with it, but I'm blaming the ammo. I'm getting rid of the WWB stuff and I had a lot of it loaded for today's visit.

View attachment 52511

I brought six mags for the VP9. Had a lot of mixed ammo, some WWB, some Remington...getting rid of odds and ends. Anyway, I was happy with the way it ran through it all. The first pic was the first three mags. As you can see, a few got away from me, I think I took my eye off the front sight...

View attachment 52513

The last pic, the last three mags.View attachment 52514

I have a lot of work to do, especially with the smaller gun. I love shooting these HKs though. They give me lots of incentive. As usual guys, I welcome feedback and tips. TIA!
This is not a bad first time out at 10 yds. Play around with the grip panels, they can make a pretty significant difference. I don’t have small hands but I like to run medium sides and a small backstrap on all my VPs. I find the slim contour at the top of the grip really fits my hand nicely. Good sight picture is important but trigger control is king. Visualize your trigger pull, where your finger is on the trigger and pulling straight back. Once you’ve got that, focus on repetition of that feeling. Dry fire practice is perfect for this. I have 1000s of rounds of dry fire through mine. Also, you will find that somewhere around 200-300 rounds the VP9 trigger breaks in very nicely and will probably drop a pound plus of pull weight. I got impatient and installed an MCarbo spring kit in most of my VPs. That was a nice adjustment but when that trigger broke in I found I was running a trigger with about a 2.5 lb pull, which I love.

You're coming along just fine. IMO, shorten the distance a tad on your next session, while you continue paying close attention to the front sight and a slow, steady trigger press. That may help to reinforce the notion that you are indeed doing fine, and be a confidence booster as well. All the best. . .

View attachment 52510

View attachment 52511

View attachment 52513

The last pic, the last three mags.View attachment 52514

Very nicely done, enjoy.

This is not a bad first time out at 10 yds. Play around with the grip panels, they can make a pretty significant difference. I don’t have small hands but I like to run medium sides and a small backstrap on all my VPs. I find the slim contour at the top of the grip really fits my hand nicely. Good sight picture is important but trigger control is king. Visualize your trigger pull, where your finger is on the trigger and pulling straight back. Once you’ve got that, focus on repetition of that feeling. Dry fire practice is perfect for this. I have 1000s of rounds of dry fire through mine. Also, you will find that somewhere around 200-300 rounds the VP9 trigger breaks in very nicely and will probably drop a pound plus of pull weight. I got impatient and installed an MCarbo spring kit in most of my VPs. That was a nice adjustment but when that trigger broke in I found I was running a trigger with about a 2.5 lb pull, which I love.
Thank you for the feedback @SimonRL.

2.5 lbs. Hmm.

Back