testtest

Britain’s Legendary Brown Bess

…wonder if the American Revolution experience had anything to do with it’s eventual demise?
I do not believe so. The Brown Bess was the most used weapon on both sides, along with Charleville French muskets also for the continental army. The American longrifle was a distant third place.

The British did have small numbers of rifles in service during the revolution also. I believe it was in the 1830s that the Bess started being phased out for more modern and percussion arms.

Even after that massed stand up volleys over long range aimed individual rifleman fire were still in general use right until the American Civil War in which the Springfield and Enfields were the primary longarms.

I do not believe so. The Brown Bess was the most used weapon on both sides, along with Charleville French muskets also for the continental army. The American longrifle was a distant third place.

The British did have small numbers of rifles in service during the revolution also. I believe it was in the 1830s that the Bess started being phased out for more modern and percussion arms.

Even after that massed stand up volleys over long range aimed individual rifleman fire were still in general use right until the American Civil War in which the Springfield and Enfields were the primary longarms.
I’d forgotten the Charleville… need to look it up again…
A buddy who has a C&R (?) license has a detached building thats a mini museum. Has a couple original Brown Bess’s. It’s a cool piece of history. I’ll try to get a pic and post it….

I’d forgotten the Charleville… need to look it up again…
A buddy who has a C&R (?) license has a detached building thats a mini museum. Has a couple original Brown Bess’s. It’s a cool piece of history. I’ll try to get a pic and post it….
Cool would love to see it

Back