testtest

Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range review

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I bought a X-Bolt Max Long Range in .300 Win Mag last week and put a Nikon FX1000 4-16x on it. I bought some Federal Premium with 185g Berger Hunter Hybrids and Hornady Superformance with 180gr SSTs to test it out.

I went to the range today to break it in and give it a go. About 40*F, 70% humidity, and a 10mph with from my 225. I broke the barrel in at the 50yd range, cleaning the barrel after each of 10 shots.

After break-in, I went to 100yd for an initial zero. It definitely prefers the Bergers. I got a 3.5-4.0 inch group of 5 with the Hornadys. It put 5 Bergers into one ragged hole, just over 0.5 moa.

I moved to 200, the longest this range has. Similar results. The Hornadys were within 4-5 inch groups. The Bergers gave one group at 0.4moa, just under an inch. I won't say anything bad about Hornady SSTs, as the rifle I got for my brother to deer hunt with absolutely loves them, but this X-Bolt loves Berger Hybrids. These results are after a total of 40 rounds; I can't wait to see what it can do as it smooths out with some use.

This is a seriously impressive rifle for its precision. The bolt is smooth and has a short throw. The trigger is just a hunting trigger, nothing two stage or anything, but it has no creep and breaks clean. I'm very impressed with it. I'd planned to work up a good handload for it but if I can get 0.4 moa out of it with factory ammunition I might have a hell of a time doing any better at my bench.

One surprise: after a 100yd zero, it was hitting several inches high at 200. I very much expected a couple inch drop, not a rise. I guess the .300WM really is a heck of a long distance cartridge.

Attachments

• 20220220_114204.jpg
    20220220_114204.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 862
Somewhere in the 250 - 300 yard range it will start to drop. As you know it passes at 2 points (going up and coming down). At 200 it makes sense, but also at scope height to bore center changes the yardage. That's a lot of moa difference between the 2. Maybe staying within that velocity for the 185B could be the better moa? Not bad @benstt !

Somewhere in the 250 - 300 yard range it will start to drop. As you know it passes at 2 points (going up and coming down). At 200 it makes sense, but also at scope height to bore center changes the yardage. That's a lot of moa difference between the 2. Maybe staying within that velocity for the 185B could be the better moa? Not bad @benstt !
Oh, I'm going to try to replicate the Federal load for sure. I was surprised it hadn't reached its apec by 200. Happily surprised.

Oh, I'm going to try to replicate the Federal load for sure. I was surprised it hadn't reached its apec by 200. Happily surprised.
When I was making rifle stocks for Mossberg I had a .300WM Action for testing the stocks. I really enjoyed shooting that round, my shoulder hated it. 😁😂😬

Sounds like you have a winner, enjoy that bad boy.

You know, with the muzzle break on that thing it's easier to shoot than my .30-06. I'm VERY happy for that break :)
Wait until you shoot that 338lm! If the brake is as good as the 1 on the 110 300wm, then it should be pretty soft. I bought a cheap brake from CTD 7 years ago for the 300 (30cal rated), but overbored enough for the 33cal. It weighs just over 2#, but no longer made (or that I could find).

Wait until you shoot that 338lm! If the brake is as good as the 1 on the 110 300wm, then it should be pretty soft. I bought a cheap brake from CTD 7 years ago for the 300 (30cal rated), but overbored enough for the 33cal. It weighs just over 2#, but no longer made (or that I could find).
I sure hope it's as good! I didnt realize just how massive the 338LM is until I bought some with the rifle. Left to right: .30-06, .300 Win Mag, .338 Lapua Magnum. That thing must have some serious punch. I'm looking forward to putting big holes close together at loooong distances. Once the break and ARCA rail bipod come in I'll see how well it works, just going to the 500y range to start.

Attachments

• 20220216_183113.jpg
    20220216_183113.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 186
I sure hope it's as good! I didnt realize just how massive the 338LM is until I bought some with the rifle. Left to right: .30-06, .300 Win Mag, .338 Lapua Magnum. That thing must have some serious punch. I'm looking forward to putting big holes close together at loooong distances. Once the break and ARCA rail bipod come in I'll see how well it works, just going to the 500y range to start.
My thoughts also when I compared the 300wm and 338lm. I hunkered down for some recoil, but the brake was seriously effective. What are the specs on the 338lm ammo?

My thoughts also when I compared the 300wm and 338lm. I hunkered down for some recoil, but the brake was seriously effective. What are the specs on the 338lm ammo?
300gr OTM Match Burner, 2600fps at the muzzle advertised, but it looks like their test barrel is a 24", not a 30," so we'll see. I only got the one box. It's too expensive to buy multiples until I see how well it works. I'll likely load with some 250gr Bergers to start and see where that takes me.

300gr OTM Match Burner, 2600fps at the muzzle advertised, but it looks like their test barrel is a 24", not a 30," so we'll see. I only got the one box. It's too expensive to buy multiples until I see how well it works. I'll likely load with some 250gr Bergers to start and see where that takes me.
For my 110 ba/le 26" (no longer in production) it loves hunting shack munitions 210 berger hunt vld. With the 30" you should get about 3,050-3,100fps and 4,337-4,480me. 30" 338lm might be around 2,720-2,780fps with 4,928-5,148me. With less powder for the 300gr and bullets cost a bit more the 250gr with more powder will cost almost the same. Kind of a wash on cost.

Back