testtest

Buffalo Bore Ammo

southtex

Professional
Founding Member
For some reason (velocity/energy) I have started looking at Buffalo Bore ammunition for both carry and hunting. I am curious if anyone uses this for either application and if there have been issues. Some of the stated penetration depths for larger type animals from a pistol are impressive.

For some reason (velocity/energy) I have started looking at Buffalo Bore ammunition for both carry and hunting. I am curious if anyone uses this for either application and if there have been issues. Some of the stated penetration depths for larger type animals from a pistol are impressive.

I was looking at their 45 ACP. and have been seriously considering them

Let me give you an example of why I no longer use Buffalo Bore® and switched to Underwood® instead. These are identical loads in pressure, velocity, and foot-pounds energy...

BUFFALO BORE® AMMUNITION
HEAVY .41 MAGNUM OUTDOORSMAN
265 gr. L.W.N. (1,350 fps/1,072 ft-lbs)
20 Round Box
ITEM 16A - $53.68
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=90

UNDERWOOD® AMMUNITION...
41 REMINGTON MAGNUM 265GR.
WFNGC (1,350 fps/1073 ft-lbs)
Box Of: 20
SKU: 746 - $29.99
UPC: 816874022198
https://underwoodammo.com/41-remington-magnum-265-grain-lead-wide-long-nose-gas-check/

Underwood® ammunition is $23.69 (45%) cheaper than Buffalo Bore®. That is a No-Brainer AFAIC.

I use both Buffalo Bore (buy local) and Underwood based on the large 4-legged critters inhabiting my area, and the different loads that either offers.

Both work well and have their individual loading, but Buffalo Bore has a wider selection of caliber/cartridges.

Prefer Buffalo Bore in my 44 Mags & .357s for woods work, and they have a hot 30/30 load that Underwood doesn't offer.

I actually mix loads from both in my 10mms based on the performance characteristics of individual loads.

Also, I like the Underwood +P+ 9mm loads for SD use in my PCC.

Last edited:
I use both Buffalo Bore (buy local) and Underwood based on the large 4-legged critters inhabiting my area, and the different loads that either offers.

Both work well and have their individual loading, but Buffalo Bore has a wider selection of caliber/cartridges.

Prefer Buffalo Bore in my 44 Mags & .357s for woods work, and they have a hot 30/30 load that Underwood doesn't offer.

I actually mix loads from both in my 10mms based on the performance characteristics of individual loads.

Also, I like the Underwood +P+ 9mm loads for SD use in my PCC.
I swap as well between the 2 brands based on sales

I load my own .357 and .44 but I don't load them for bears or anything. In fact my dad usually loads them up so I couldn't tell you anything about the load. Hollow points of some kind and they kill deer. I have so many I don't think he's loaded any in a few years. Federal HST 124 gr. for 9mm and Federal HST 230 gr for .45

If you're talking about self defense, you owe it to yourself to imagine yourself in a courtroom later. The prosecutor is telling the jury about your "Hellcat" pistol, or your modified 1911 with the "hair trigger" while your defense attorney is back peddling trying to explain these things away. Take those inflammatory issues off the table by using a common, unmodified, sidearm shooting the kind of ammo that law enforcement uses, like Gold Dots. And don't say a darn thing to law enforcement -- just contact your lawyer before anyone else. Your lawyers' 24 hour number should be in your cell phone. All the talk about calibers and specific ammo choices is second to shot placement anyway.

For walking in the woods, and/or camping in the wild, I favor a good 10mm with Underwood.

If you're talking about self defense, you owe it to yourself to imagine yourself in a courtroom later. The prosecutor is telling the jury about your "Hellcat" pistol, or your modified 1911 with the "hair trigger" while your defense attorney is back peddling trying to explain these things away. Take those inflammatory issues off the table by using a common, unmodified, sidearm shooting the kind of ammo that law enforcement uses, like Gold Dots. And don't say a darn thing to law enforcement -- just contact your lawyer before anyone else. Your lawyers' 24 hour number should be in your cell phone. All the talk about calibers and specific ammo choices is second to shot placement anyway.

For walking in the woods, and/or camping in the wild, I favor a good 10mm with Underwood.
Name a single instance where this happened ? Modified trigger or reloaded ammo.

Carry guns are straight out of the box. The Buffalo Bore ammo I would be using for self defense penetrates in the 12 - 16 inch range depending on the caliber. In my conversation with an attorney the biggest explanation will be explaining the imminent threat I was facing. The penetration depth, for example of Critical Duty (LE round) 20" is greater than any of my choices including the Barnes I will be carrying today. I felt from the conversation the legal issues of today will be more focused on being able to justify your actions. I am fairly certain however that after being cleared in the criminal investigation, all of the things you mentioned will become part of the civil action.

Never having been in a courtroom under these circumstances, I will defer to those who have. No reason to give a prosecutor fuel for their fire.
Commercial off the shelf products are just that.
Firearms that have legal commercial manufactured items and ammo give no “advantage” to the prosecution.
Homebuilt, non legal mods on the other hand, I can see how they could, but legal BATF approved items are just that. Legal BATF items.

Commercial off the shelf products are just that.
Firearms that have legal commercial manufactured items and ammo give no “advantage” to the prosecution.
Homebuilt, non legal mods on the other hand, I can see how they could, but legal BATF approved items are just that. Legal BATF items.
I understand your point, but I still would expect a prosecutor to mention these sort of items simply to sow seeds of doubt in juror's minds. Their intent would be to make the jury consider the possibility of a defendant looking for a chance to fatally shoot someone.

In any debate, arguments are offered strategically. The plan isn't to win each point, it's to win the debate (or the conviction).

That's what I mean by not giving them fuel for the fire. I would expect a prosecutor who is determined to win a conviction to mention that someone was using "extra lethal" ammunition and that was the reason that Joe Scumbag died when he was shot while breaking into your house. Poor Joe would still be alive today if you hadn't used that extra deadly stuff.

Back