testtest

Bug-Out Bag Essentials

I prefer a high capacity .22 for a bug out bag.
Lightweight and can have thousands of rounds in relative light weight. You can unload a crap ton of .22 into a target quick and use the caliber for all sorts of uses

I looked long and hard at a KelTec CMR-30 for a BOB rifle...compact, lightweight, and a bit more punch than .22 LR, but ammo is also lightweight...can easily carry several hundred rounds. Could pair it with a PMR-30, or find a .22WMR wheelgun.

My bug out bag is a large hunting pack that contains all the essentials for an extended time. The only thing not in it is my firearms. I normally carry my EDC with extra mags. Included in the pack is plastic shelter, space blanket, saw, multi-tool, two knives, hatchet, rope, paracord, duct tape, flashlight w/ extra batteries, sewing kit, mess kit, MREs, canteen, bottled water, first aid kit, change of clothes, flint & steel and butane lighter. I would also grab my Charter Arms AR-7 .22 take down rifle and 100 round pack of ammo. Can you tell I was a Boy Scout? :)

Something I am surprised is not included in the list for either the small or larger bug out (or get home) kit is a small battery powered radio of some sort. It would be a way to get information on what is going on in event of a disaster, when the power may not be available.

I got to thinking about that after a couple of hours sitting in the dark with no power after a storm blew through here last week, and we had a week without power back in 2011 after tornadoes destroyed the North Alabama power grid. I was "that guy" with the noisy gas generator going 24/7 to keep the lights and refrigerator on, but only because I had a bunch of 5 gallon gas cans to get me through the first day or two that even gas stations had no generator power to run the pumps. During that time, the cell towers went down too after the first few hours, once they lost their battery backups. Gradually you saw AT&T putting generators next to each cell tower, so I don't know what would happen today. Then I came across a page in Concealed Carry magazine also this week, showing a small CountyComm GP-5 radio they recommended for bug out bags.

While I've got a little Ryobi 18V radio that runs from the same 18V batteries I use for a dozen or so Ryobi tools I own, and that is useful if I am home, I think a small AM/FM/shortwave radio is a good idea for an emergency bugout bag. I just ordered one from universal-radio.com today, as the radios I had been watching all week on Amazon all seemed to have sold out overnight, which means I am not the only one thinking about this.

Last edited:
I looked long and hard at a KelTec CMR-30 for a BOB rifle...compact, lightweight, and a bit more punch than .22 LR, but ammo is also lightweight...can easily carry several hundred rounds. Could pair it with a PMR-30, or find a .22WMR wheelgun.

This was my thought process as well. A CMR and a PMR would pair nicely with the shared mags, and relatively high capacity. Then my range got a CMR. Reliability it hit and miss with feeding. Since it's a rental gun, we have to use their ammo, so it could be that it prefers different ammo, or it could be stuffing 20 rounds of rimfire into a magazine too. I'm hoping Ruger's release of the 57 will perhaps get other manufacturers looking at that caliber. All the same benefits, but in a reliable center fire cartridge.

This was my thought process as well. A CMR and a PMR would pair nicely with the shared mags, and relatively high capacity. Then my range got a CMR. Reliability it hit and miss with feeding. Since it's a rental gun, we have to use their ammo, so it could be that it prefers different ammo, or it could be stuffing 20 rounds of rimfire into a magazine too. I'm hoping Ruger's release of the 57 will perhaps get other manufacturers looking at that caliber. All the same benefits, but in a reliable center fire cartridge.

I’d take a .22TCM semi-auto carbine in a second...even a PDW.

Back