testtest

Bug Out Ready? Get Your Kit Together

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
“What limited number of items would you grab if you had 10 minutes to leave on foot?”

A less-is-more gray man move fast strategy is still what SERE, spec ops folks, and those three letter folks use to move around the globe.

Get-your-kit-together.jpg

While not my age or mobility issues, I'm still tied to insulin, which makes me absolutely unfit for extended "camping".

Seems I might have to do a lot of damage to earn a Hellfire missile...they're expensive.

While not my age or mobility issues, I'm still tied to insulin, which makes me absolutely unfit for extended "camping".

Seems I might have to do a lot of damage to earn a Hellfire missile...they're expensive.

Extended camping isn't something I see in my future either, though I do have a contingency plan that includes it. My main objective in the totally hypothetical and unrealistic scenario of end of the world SHTF event is to enable my immediate family to survive. And I am in a good position to do that (as long as small arms are the only weapons I have to contend with. Not military aircraft, missiles, etc.)

We are located in a place I can defend.

“What limited number of items would you grab if you had 10 minutes to leave on foot?”

A less-is-more gray man move fast strategy is still what SERE, spec ops folks, and those three letter folks use to move around the globe.

F
Get-your-kit-together.jpg
Here is my post from a long time ago with lots of previous discussion on bugging out, where would you go?

Thread 'Go bags! Where would you go?' https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/go-bags-where-would-you-go.265/

1. My wife has an artificial knee and severe arthritis. We're not going anywhere on foot

This is not an academic discussion for me. I lived through the Waldo Canyon fire and I lived through the black forest fire.

Everybody in Colorado Springs that was here that night can tell you where they were when the fire crested Queens Canyon and burned down the entire Mountain Shadows neighborhood.

Last year two neighborhoods adjacent to ours were evacuated with zero notice because of wild fires.

So the biggest lesson that we've earned from that is that we have an evacuation kit in the front closet with all of our documents ready to go all the time.

We have an emergency kit that stays in our car. and some supplies ready to go in our house. If necessary we could be out of here in 10-15 minutes.

I have a get home bag. I take it with me anytime I leave town. When I was looking for what to put in it I started watching videos on YouTube like the one above.

They provide a good basic idea for what you should take.

My get home bag with water weighs right around 35 lb. At least once a week I go hiking in the mountains while carrying it. I don't have any doubt that I could walk at least 18 miles with it on my back in Mountainous Terrain. It would take me all day to do it but I could do it and still not be useless the next day.

I've also used the emergency water filtration system that I carry (a Sawyer Mini) several times I know it works.

Back

Last edited:
I lived through the Waldo Canyon fire and I lived through the black forest fire.
Me too. I had ash the size of concert tickets from the shake roof shingles of the Mountain Shadows neighborhood in my yard. Was next in line for mandatory evacuation from the fire.
When 30 rd mags became illegal and dope wasn't, I left the state.

Me too. I had ash the size of concert tickets from the shake roof shingles of the Mountain Shadows neighborhood in my yard. Was next in line for mandatory evacuation from the fire.
When 30 rd mags became illegal and dope wasn't, I left the state.
We were in Pre evacuation notice at that time too so I'm betting we lived in the same neighborhood. We lived just south of Fillmore and just west of the Patty Jewett Golf Course

The fires in Colorado and the recent train derailment fiasco in Ohio are likely similar to the events that would prompt most people to have to leave their homes on short notice. We could maybe stay with relatives a few days, in a government shelter or hotel if we are blessed with sufficient money. A bug out bag for events like that would be more like packing a suitcase for a vacation. Probably grab you EDC firearm, lock your house and go.

More severe happenings for which you would need multiple guns, lots of ammo, survival foods, etc. are a completely different animal. People can get real evil, real fast! Personally, in a case like that I hope none of us would need to leave on foot but you never know. A couple years ago, my wife and I binge watched a series titled “Daily Bread.” The gist of the story was a huge EMP caused by the sun ejecting gases (sunspots) took out all the computer based equipment on earth. No modern cars would run and lots of other things went toes up. People went real bad, real fast, kind of like what happened in New Orleans after Katrina. For an event like that, a person for sure needs some kind of carryable bug out bag, and just as important, somewhere to go. Like the author of the article said, heading out into the woods to hunker down probably won’t work well for you.

I actually lived through a hurricane in Florida. It wasn't a big one but it was enough to evacuate.

I learned something from that, the very last place in the world that you want to be in a situation like that is in a government run Evacuation Center.

I knew a couple guys when I lived in Florida who would whenever hurricane was coming go and buy as many cartons of cigarettes as they could. This was the mid 80s cigarettes were $15 a carton I think. They'd go to the evacuation centers and sell the cigarettes for $15 a pack

As others have said a Bug-out/get-Home bag can be the same.

Whether it's because of a natural disaster, or if you're traveling away from your home base and a 9/11 scenario occurs where air travel is stopped.

When 9/11 occurred I was hundreds of miles away from home but had my own wheels, but others didn't and had to find ways to get back home.

Whenever I travel long distances I always prep in case something similar happens.

My .02

I do like this set up. I need to invest in a hill people chest kit.

You know I’d like to see a set up for someone doing this with small kids. I have to pack light, so I can carry their stuff. I can fit most of their crap in my mystery ranch bag, be nice to add a chest kit though for items I want more accessible. Likely put all 3 of them in a wagon I can tie to the bag and haul more stuff. 10 minutes though wouldn’t be great but doable. Hopefully stealth isn’t a requirement either lol, the little one gets pretty feisty at bed time.

As others have said a Bug-out/get-Home bag can be the same.
Funny, I'd never really thought of it that way before, but yes. It's probably best to approach it as a, "Things I Need On Me" bag, regardless of the destination.

Back