testtest

Building Your 24-Hour Get Home Bag

There’s a H.F. Right up the road from me I’ll have to check it out, haven’t been in one in years.
This is getting off topic, but speaking of Harbor Frght... Over the yrs a buddy would mention them occasionally. I thought it was all mail order industrial stuff more pertinent to a machine shop or small industrial supply situation. But the opened a store a few yrs back just a couple miles away, and I was quite surprised and impressed with what they offered. Tip: check out their Apache gun hard cases...
Picked this up - magnifying bright (LED?) swing arm lamp that I use to inspect my handguns. It’s TERRIFIC, esp with my aging eyes ! (sorry for the cluttered pic. U can see the cover open over the magnifyer)

Attachments

• 3EB83A8B-F4CC-44B7-BDC6-765B88EE59D9.jpeg
    3EB83A8B-F4CC-44B7-BDC6-765B88EE59D9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 223
This is getting off topic, but speaking of Harbor Frght... Over the yrs a buddy would mention them occasionally. I thought it was all mail order industrial stuff more pertinent to a machine shop or small industrial supply situation. But the opened a store a few yrs back just a couple miles away, and I was quite surprised and impressed with what they offered. Tip: check out their Apache gun hard cases...
Picked this up - magnifying bright (LED?) swing arm lamp that I use to inspect my handguns. It’s TERRIFIC, esp with my aging eyes ! (sorry for the cluttered pic. U can see the cover open over the magnifyer)

The store I was in yesterday had a couple different brands. Very reasonably priced.

My GHB is set up for 72 - 96 hour capacity, and is really no different than what I use for backpacking in the mountains.

The only difference I see between the 24 hr set-up and 72-96 hrs is extra food & the capabilty to secure drinking water.

If I'm out of my home area I carry enough extra gas in my rig to give me ~850 mi range. I learned that lesson when 9/11 happened.

Last edited:
A pretty good selection of gear for sure. It's like the dude works for 5.11 though. IME everything 5.11 offers can be had in the same quality for considerably less.
I like 5.11’s gear a lot. I particularly like their clothing line for ccw, but you definitely pay a premium for it. My caveat would be that I think they over-engineer their backpacks and try to get too clever. I bought the AMP24 backpack and it’s to fiddly. I prefer my Osprey much more.

Last edited:
My GHB is set up for 72 - 96 hour capacity, and is really no different than what I use for backpacking in the mountains.

The only difference I see between the 24 hr set-up and 72-96 hrs is extra food & the capabilty to secure drinking water.

If I'm out of my home area I carry enough extra gas in my rig to give me ~850 mi range. I learned that lesson when 9/11 happened.
I like 5.11’s gear a lot. I particularly like their clothing line for ccw, but you definitely pay a premium for it. My caveat would be that I think they over-engineer their backpacks and try to get too clever. I bought the AMP24 backpack and it’s to fiddly. I prefer my Osprey much more.

Thank you for sharing that note - and a great takeaway from your experience on a few levels when it comes to being prepared.... "Those who forget history, are doomed to repeat it."

I'm not finding the Rush12 backpack on 5.11 site. I'm seeing an All Hazards Prime Backpack 29L or a Rush100. Which would you suggest to be similar to the Rush12?
Think it's an AMP12. There's a Rush 12L, but it's more along the lines of a messenger bag style. There might have been a Rush12 backpack previously, but the page brings up a 404 Page Can't Be Found message
error. Rush12 backpack discontinues maybe?

AMP12:

Think it's an AMP12. There's a Rush 12L, but it's more along the lines of a messenger bag style. There might have been a Rush12 backpack previously, but the page brings up a 404 Page Can't Be Found message
error. Rush12 backpack discontinues maybe?

AMP12:

Ya that includes laptop spot which wouldn't be utilized very often. I do like it though.

I'm not finding the Rush12 backpack on 5.11 site. I'm seeing an All Hazards Prime Backpack 29L or a Rush100. Which would you suggest to be similar to the Rush12?

Talking with some friends at 5.11.... it seems that much of the RUSH line is currently sold out - however..... this upcoming Tuesday might just bring some new reveals in the line that are worth checking out... ;)

Those headlamp/flashlight combos are awesome. I have an off brand version that is now discontinued. I couldn't help notice you upgraded your Hellcat's trigger. What did you go with?

Love the headlamp combo! It's definitely helpful, especially for keeping my clumsy hands free. As for the Hellcat trigger, that's the stock one it came with - which is fantastic.

After reading the article, I was surprised to see how many of the items were similar to what I carried on motorcycle trips in the pre-cellphone era. I went to Texas Tech in the 90's, and only had a motorcycle for transportation. Aside from cooking equipment, I had most of this stuff in my saddlebags on trips back to Dallas. I'd kinda hoped those skills wouldn't be necessary when I had enough money to afford a car. I guess I did learn something useful in college after all.

Back