testtest

Burnt ends

javbike

Professional
Never tried this it’s a long process with my pit boss you use a tri tip 2-1/2 hours on 165 then butcher paper 3 hours on 200 then refrigerate over night then cut in cubes put on a iron skillet for 2 hours add butter honey Dr Pepper barbecue sauce brown singer Worcestershire sauce. The best like eating candy
53F847C1-9809-41D8-9C6D-1BA0A37365C4.jpeg

It took me some 26 hours (24 hours for the brisket with cambrio time + 2 more hours smoking the chopped and seasoned point) to get burnt ends using the point from a whole packer brisket in my Masterbuilt....not doing that again...it's good, but just too much work (time really...not that hard of "work"). Enjoy!

It took me some 26 hours (24 hours for the brisket with cambrio time + 2 more hours smoking the chopped and seasoned point) to get burnt ends using the point from a whole packer brisket in my Masterbuilt....not doing that again...it's good, but just too much work (time really...not that hard of "work"). Enjoy!
Those "Masterbuilt" rigs do a great job as they were designed. But electric smokers just don't quite turn out the same product as a charcoal or stick burner, and even though they tend to reach the same temps and are far easier to control, it just seems to take longer. It looks like you did a fine job on those 'ends', they look mighty scrumptious. My grand daddy would say "You done good son, you done reeeal good"!

Even though typically an electric element reduces relative humidity in the interior or the box, it often seems the moisture content in the air is higher the longer it runs. I think it's due to the moisture content in the food inside a really air tight cabinet, and typically an electric smoker user will soak his wood chips before using them which also causes an increase in moisture and a longer cook time. I found over many years of experimenting, those little chips will burn up faster if they're kept dry, but they'll impart a much better smoke flavor. When all is said and done, I always give a lot of credit to those who use the electrics.

I've had a Masterbuilt on my deck for so many years they've left indents where the wheels set. And they're my emergency 'go-to' when for some reason I can't burn my big smokers or I have to keep a lot of food warm.

I'd venture a guess if that packer of yours took 26 hours, it was a pretty good sized one. Don't know what cook temps you were using, but I'd guess that packer was around 14-16 lbs+, huh? But then I've never done a packer start to finish in my Masterbuilt. In my stick burner I can usually get to an internal temp of around 200-205 in about 18-20 hrs on a good cook where everything goes 100% right. A little longer if there's rain, lots of cool wind, etc. That's at a regular cook temperature of around 225-250F +/-. Often depends on the fat content of the brisket, and the internal temp when I put it on. I can get it a little quicker if I bump cook temps up to around 270-300F, but I rarely go above that, and at that temp I spritz (sometimes mop) pretty often.

I like to pull it at about 203F internal for making 'burnt ends' before I cut them up. Maybe a couple degrees less if I'm going to slice it. jj

Those "Masterbuilt" rigs do a great job as they were designed. But electric smokers just don't quite turn out the same product as a charcoal or stick burner, and even though they tend to reach the same temps and are far easier to control, it just seems to take longer. It looks like you did a fine job on those 'ends', they look mighty scrumptious. My grand daddy would say "You done good son, you done reeeal good"!

Even though typically an electric element reduces relative humidity in the interior or the box, it often seems the moisture content in the air is higher the longer it runs. I think it's due to the moisture content in the food inside a really air tight cabinet, and typically an electric smoker user will soak his wood chips before using them which also causes an increase in moisture and a longer cook time. I found over many years of experimenting, those little chips will burn up faster if they're kept dry, but they'll impart a much better smoke flavor. When all is said and done, I always give a lot of credit to those who use the electrics.

I've had a Masterbuilt on my deck for so many years they've left indents where the wheels set. And they're my emergency 'go-to' when for some reason I can't burn my big smokers or I have to keep a lot of food warm.

I'd venture a guess if that packer of yours took 26 hours, it was a pretty good sized one. Don't know what cook temps you were using, but I'd guess that packer was around 14-16 lbs+, huh? But then I've never done a packer start to finish in my Masterbuilt. In my stick burner I can usually get to an internal temp of around 200-205 in about 18-20 hrs on a good cook where everything goes 100% right. A little longer if there's rain, lots of cool wind, etc. That's at a regular cook temperature of around 225-250F +/-. Often depends on the fat content of the brisket, and the internal temp when I put it on. I can get it a little quicker if I bump cook temps up to around 270-300F, but I rarely go above that, and at that temp I spritz (sometimes mop) pretty often.

I like to pull it at about 203F internal for making 'burnt ends' before I cut them up. Maybe a couple degrees less if I'm going to slice it. jj
I’ve never soaked my chips in my electric…but I do agree, there’s a lot higher humidity in it than, say my dad’s pit boss pellet grill.

Never tried this it’s a long process with my pit boss you use a tri tip 2-1/2 hours on 165 then butcher paper 3 hours on 200 then refrigerate over night then cut in cubes put on a iron skillet for 2 hours add butter honey Dr Pepper barbecue sauce brown singer Worcestershire sauce. The best like eating candyView attachment 37834
Ok now I gotta clean up my keyboard before the drool get in the keys..

Never tried this it’s a long process with my pit boss you use a tri tip 2-1/2 hours on 165 then butcher paper 3 hours on 200 then refrigerate over night then cut in cubes put on a iron skillet for 2 hours add butter honey Dr Pepper barbecue sauce brown singer Worcestershire sauce. The best like eating candyView attachment 37834
Nice job👍

Never was a fan

Edit for typo …

Last edited:

19lbs if I remember...it's been a few years. Had to tie it a tad to squish it down to a size that fit in the box without cutting it in 1/2. I don't do briskets anymore in the Masterbuilt...takes too long and there's too high a risk of it not turning out and ruining the flat, but doing the whole packer is the only way to go IMO. I never soak chips...that only delays them from producing smoke. Always smoke at 220F myself. 10lb butts now take 20 hours in my box, I can get them down to 16 if I wrap them at 150-160F. I admit I'm getting lazy and only do butts these days...simply because you can't screw them up without effort. I use a digital thermometer that has 3 probe readings, 2 for meat and one for ambient temp...my smoker works the same whether its 20F or 80F outside...it's a pretty small box (tall but narrow).

I'd go to an offset, but I have no interest in having to stay awake all night to monitor the fire and cook temps.

Wow, it seems I got two of you mixed up. I started out replying to javbike, then somehow got off track and ended up talking to Jfal. At any rate, I've never made candy with a tri-tip so really can't comment too much. I'm sure it would be good though since the tri-tip is a fine chunk of meat. Kinda' goes back to what I said about "any real meat" will make good 'ends'. And yours look mighty fine ...............

Now I'm not real sure just who I was thinking of when I said they looked really good, but suffice it to say these look really good. And knowing now, I'm just as sure if Jfal had shown some pics of his they would have also looked mighty good.

There, hope I fixed all that .... Didn't mean to slight either one of you, just wasn't paying close enough attention I guess. But then I've been accused of doing that before .... dammit! LOL.

Best regards, jj

Wow, it seems I got two of you mixed up. I started out replying to javbike, then somehow got off track and ended up talking to Jfal. At any rate, I've never made candy with a tri-tip so really can't comment too much. I'm sure it would be good though since the tri-tip is a fine chunk of meat. Kinda' goes back to what I said about "any real meat" will make good 'ends'. And yours look mighty fine ...............

Now I'm not real sure just who I was thinking of when I said they looked really good, but suffice it to say these look really good. And knowing now, I'm just as sure if Jfal had shown some pics of his they would have also looked mighty good.

There, hope I fixed all that .... Didn't mean to slight either one of you, just wasn't paying close enough attention I guess. But then I've been accused of doing that before .... dammit! LOL.

Best regards, jj
No problem jumpin joe I think when I do this again I would use a fatty piece of meat say like a brisket. The tri tip came out great pops in you mouth like Candy really tender but I think if I use a fatty meat it would be that much better

2 things always bring more flavor to the party ... FAT and BONE! I won't even buy a pork chop without a little fat around the edges and a bone along the back. I love a good tri-tip roast done almost any method, just never tried smokin' one. Always thought of them as just a little too lean for smoking. My favorite is thin sliced and on very fresh white bread (a very simple pleasure) or white wheat bun with just a little yellow mustard.

My wife and I are totally opposite on our choice in meats and preparation of them. I like my meats like beef rare or med rare at least. She wants hers burned black like charcoal, dried out, and hard as a rock. She calls that "well done". That was her daddy's way of cooking on a grill so that's what she grew up with. It took me almost 40 years to convince her I could make her a really good, 'well done' steak without all the black char. So, when we have steaks, I'll put hers on well before putting mine on to hopefully get them the way we both like them.

I used to smoke rib-eyes on my smaller smoker. Takes about an hour and 40+ minutes to get hers' the way she wants it. Takes about an hour +/- of smoke at about 230-240F for mine. So to be safe I put hers on just under 2 hours before we're to eat. Then with any hold ups or time loss issues, we're still pretty close to what we both like when it's time to eat.

Pork is the same way. She absolutely will not eat a chop with any fat or bone in it and it has to be bone dry. I like that little rim of fat around the edges and I love to gnaw on the bone after eating most of the chop. She'll consistently trim off any fat and cut out any bone and give them to me ... and I'm perfectly fine with that. It kills me to see her steak and chop so over cooked, and it's even worse to have to do it myself for her, but I just keep in mind I'll ultimately benefit from her missunderstanding real pleasure in eating. Now all this is primarily to javbike since it's dealing with fat vs flavor.

BTW javbike, it took me years to teach her how to pick out a good packer brisket for me. She actually hated to even touch a big piece of meat with so much fat on it even though she knew I'd be trimming much of it. LOL! She never, ever thought I'd trimmed enough when I rubbed it and put it on the smoker.

Now to Jfal and his 26 hour brisket. At 19 lbs I can see how it would take 26 +/- hours, especially in a Masterbuilt. And tying it up made the cook time even longer since that compresses the fibers in the meat making it harder to accept/absorb the heat. But with that amount of time, and part of it just resting, I'd bet it turned out pretty well also. But yeh, a heck of a lot of work/time. I like a little more heat in my smokers ... around 225-250F. If in a hurry or I've got a big chunk in a stall, I'll sometimes go to 270-300F or so. But if I go this high I watch it like a hawk. You might want to try seperating the flat from the point and put each one on a different shelf in your Masterbuilt. But beware, the flat will finish a couple hours before the point if they're trimmed right since the flat is so much leaner.

Butts around here run an average of about 6-7 pounds. On my wood burner it takes about 1 +/- hours per pound on a good cook. A 16 pound packer takes about 1 - 1.5 hours pound at 225-250F. I always use an internal instant read thermometer to check temps. And I always trim my briskets pretty close unless I'm going to make some 'ends'.

I never wrap butts during a cook, but will on occasion wrap a nice brisket with butcher paper and a little beef tallow. I heard that's an old Arron Franklin trick. I don't know for sure if it makes it any better, but it sure doesn't hurt it.

As for not soaking your chips in water, I also note that neither does Hansgruber. I used to soak mine many years ago with probably my first Masterbuilt, but didn't take long to realize it wasn't going to cook like my stick burners with all that moisture inside the cabinet, so I quit. Last few times I used the masterbuilt, I didn't even use chips. I used "Traeger" pellets. Got lot's of good clean smoke and very little ash.

OK, got to be honest here. I've not smoked anything in 4 years, since we moved into this 'Retirement Community' that I lovingly call the institution. Fact is I don't even have a smoker anymore except a little tow around I've had for many years made from an 80 gal air compressor tank IIRC. My yard son has it at his place just in case I ever want to use it again. Yeh, right! He lives in N Dakota ... about 2,200 miles away. I sold all my others when we moved here to the institution, but he made me keep this one "just in case".

I do occasionally do some loin back ribs in the oven, and even less frequently a small butt for just the wife and me. Over time I've converted a few of my old recipes to work OK in an oven, but it ain't BBQ or smokin' by any means. I hate liquid smoke, but can't have a real fire or coals here, so that's my only choice so I've worked it into some of my recipes. We're about all that's left now of the family, so it just doesn't pay to cook to much. On a rare occasion I'll do burgers for several of the other inmates around here on my little smokeless grill, but that's about the extent of it. There were times in the past when I've cooked for 100 plus folks, all who knew good 'Q'. I always checked the garbage cans after a big cook for what was thrown away to see how good a job I had done. Those garbage cans don't lie, I promise.

I hate it here, I hate, I hate it. But at 76, she's not far behind, and we have no family left close by to impose on when we get really old, we just felt this was our best option for the future. It's mostly OK, I just hate having to give up my BBQ'ing, my airboat, my offshore boat, my tractors and trailers, etc. But, I don't miss not having to mow the lawn every week, or paint the house we had/sold, or fix the leak under the sink, or repair the damned roof, etc, etc. So I guess the trade off really ain't that bad after all.

Best to all, jj

I hate it here, I hate, I hate it. But at 76, she's not far behind, and we have no family left close by to impose on when we get really old, we just felt this was our best option for the future. It's mostly OK, I just hate having to give up my BBQ'ing, my airboat, my offshore boat, my tractors and trailers, etc. But, I don't miss not having to mow the lawn every week, or paint the house we had/sold, or fix the leak under the sink, or repair the damned roof, etc, etc. So I guess the trade off really ain't that bad after all.

Best to all, jj
Nice writeup. You mentioned Arron Franklin , just watched his series on PBS and part of that was showing different wrapping styles, very informative and entertaining.

It all goes so damn fast don't it Joe. You watch everything you learned to love change in the twilight years. I sit here and wonder just what the future holds for us. With Pat's health it is looking pretty boxed in. We knew after the chemo that bad things were likely to come down the pike but we bought 25 years, and I will take what's here and coming to have had those years with her.

I will hold the fort down and take care of her as long as I can, or until she's gone then, who knows. Hang in there joe...

A few years back I cooked on the Big Green Egg for a large family gathering. Among other things I smoked a large brisket for 16 hours. You could cut it with a fork. After it was sliced and on the platter one of my guests was poking around in the platter in search of something. I asked what he was looking for and he said the well done part. If it's not well done after 16 hours it never will be. Since then I have included burnt ends on the platter

Back