testtest

Buying ammo

How often do you guys buy ammo for your wants/needs? Now that I'm back at work (seasonal layoff) I'm gonna start weekly. Maybe a couple or so per week as that's how often I get paid.

I'm also gonna find somewhere I can start reloading. Thought about renting a storage unit for that. I have nowhere in my place to do it.

I try to buy some ammo atleast once a week depending on what comes in through Academy and whatever my current needs are. I've got a decent stockpile compared to this time last year when I was first getting into firearms. Working part time there has increased my buying for sure thanks to getting first picks at what comes in, and the 20% discount.

Space/Storage is a limiting factor currently. Too hot to store in the garage so it's gotta be in the house. Might have to make some room in the office or guest room.

Storage is a bad idea, especially in humid areas! Just get a single stage press and take your time. You can size on the press then prime with a hand primer (rifle/pistol). Add powder using a loading block, then seat (seat/crimp or seat and crimp separate). You can do it all with just 2 dies.
If you are going to rent a storage space keep all associated reloading equipment at home. Better temp control and static free (maybe just less static).

When do I buy ammo. Well folks it's like this -- whenever Mrs Tinyman says, "don't you think we need to stop by and get more ammo"?

I'm stocked up, but with the world like it is today, I obey.
This reminds me of something my wife said during the fall of last year. She was watching the news and asked me if I had enough ammo in case things get crazy. That's the first time she ever said that to me, so I am slowly trying to build back my stock of ammo.

My local Academy is fully stocked with 9mm, but low on .22lr. The prices are slowly coming down, but I'm not sure they will ever reach pre-pandemic levels.

How often do you guys buy ammo for your wants/needs? Now that I'm back at work (seasonal layoff) I'm gonna start weekly. Maybe a couple or so per week as that's how often I get paid.

I'm also gonna find somewhere I can start reloading. Thought about renting a storage unit for that. I have nowhere in my place to do it.
Mr. Wannabewoodsman,

A few months ago I decided to get back into reloading, and like you didn't think I had room for a big reloading station. So originally I added a small shelf to the side of my gun safe because it was solid and heavy enough to use my press on without a lot of tipping, etc. Pretty quickly I learned that just wasn't going to work since the shelf was only 5.5" X 18". Plenty of room to mount the press, and it was strong enough, but then I had no good place for my components and tools like a caliper, hand priming tool, etc. Well, it was right beside the bed so yep, that's where I put all my supplies, etc, while I loaded.

In walks the wife and says "That'll be the end of that"!!! Actually that's not true, she was OK with it but not thrilled, and since it really was limited in space to work I started thinking of an alternate solution. And the outcome was better than satisfactory, I might even call it 'Perfect' for my situation of living in an apartment with limited space.

I'm including here for you a link to a thread from a while back that has a few pictures of my solution. I used a small roll around service cart for my loading station. My press is mounted to it by way of the addition of a small work top, along with my powder measure, room for my two powder scales, and even room for some components. It also has a drawer to store my extra components, supplies, papers, etc.

On top and behind the added work top is lots of room for additional die sets, trimming tools, priming tools, scales, etc. Best part is it takes up only a little space and can be parked right outside the utility/mechanical room in our apartment, then moved around to anywhere I want it while using it to reload. When I'm done, I can park it back by the utility room, or anywhere else in the apartment I wish.

Underneath is a shelf where I keep my vibrator tumbler, a strainer and bucket for separating the media from the cases, a gallon container of cleaning media, and even a small vacuum cleaner for those times when a little powder might get spilled onto the light colored carpet.

All in all it turned out really well and since I've put it all together, I've loaded probably 1K or so 9mm and .38 Spl/.357 Mag rounds on it with just a single stage press. No muss, no fuss, and it's never in the way of me or the wife. Go here to see a few pictures of how it turned out and let me know what you think. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have:

Mr. Wannabewoodsman,

In that same thread I've linked here, you can go back to the 1st post and see my original small shelf I attached to the side of my gun safe. It was more than sturdy enough, just not enough room to be effective. But take a look anyway ..... it may work out for you.

One other aside ............ in those pictures you'll see a couple X-brases on the legs of the service cart. I made those with 'tension bars' for chain link fencing. I cut them to the length I needed and drilled them to bolt to the legs of the cart. I wasn't having any issues with the cart, but I thought maybe continued rolling it over carpet with the load on it might weaken it. The tension bars were the size I needed, clean and galvanized, and relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
I use to drive around and take my chances if ammo I wanted was available not anymore I buy online free ship for store pick up I use two places bass pro and sportsman warehouse best prices . I check big 5 every once in a while but I been noticing their prices suck . So depending on the stock and sell price maybe once every two weeks I am stock up pretty good now

I use to drive around and take my chances if ammo I wanted was available not anymore I buy online free ship for store pick up I use two places bass pro and sportsman warehouse best prices . I check big 5 every once in a while but I been noticing their prices suck . So depending on the stock and sell price maybe once every two weeks I am stock up pretty good now
Both of those are several hours away (as is Brownells but they're a tad closer). Only other place in town is dicks and I won't support them. LGS doesn't seem to carry .45 unfortunately. Plenty of 9 and 5.56 though

Mr. Wannabewoodsman,

I'm curious as to when you're gonna start on that service cart reloading center? You are considering it aren't you? LOL!

And if you're inclined to do so, I'll recommend "Harbor Freight" for the cart. I don't recommend them often for too many things, but they've got a really good selection of carts of various designs. I particularly picked mine because I wanted the storage space underneath for the tumbler and vacuum. But they have several designs of carts with 2, 3, or more drawers if you don't need the bottom storage space. I'd highly recommend you check them out if feasible.

Happy loading !!!

Mr. Wannabewoodsman,

I'm curious as to when you're gonna start on that service cart reloading center? You are considering it aren't you? LOL!

And if you're inclined to do so, I'll recommend "Harbor Freight" for the cart. I don't recommend them often for too many things, but they've got a really good selection of carts of various designs. I particularly picked mine because I wanted the storage space underneath for the tumbler and vacuum. But they have several designs of carts with 2, 3, or more drawers if you don't need the bottom storage space. I'd highly recommend you check them out if feasible.

Happy loading !!!
I've used harbor freight carts before. Own one currently. If I remember correctly they are made by the same people that make Mac or snap on tool boxes. They are also made in the USA. Iowa, I believe.

I'm honestly not sure what route I'm going to use. My gun room is pretty full! If you're (or anyone) is interested I can post plans for an apartment gunsmith bench. Not my design mind but I found in a book for school

Back