testtest

Buying the Same Gun in Multiple Calibers

wmg1299

Professional
I’d always heard that the Sig P226 was a great gun, but I’ve never been a big Sig Sauer guy, and I have never paid more than about $600 on a handgun. The $899-$1399 price tag for the P226 had always kept me from ever adding one to my collection. I took a chance on an LE Trade-In model in .40 S&W because it was priced under $500.

I took my new to me P226 to the range this weekend, and I really like the gun. I am now considering buying a new 9mm version. I’ve owned several models in different calibers, but they were usually Glocks because I could get them for the discounted Blue Label price. I did pick up two XD Mod.2 handguns in .45 ACP and 9mm, but this was primarily because I found them on a deep discount when the Mod.2 line was first discontinued. I’m the first to admit that I probably would never have purchased multiple Glocks or XD’s if I had paid full price for them.

A new 9mm P226 would be the most expensive handgun that I have ever purchased. I would like to know if any of you have ever bought the same handgun in different calibers when there was no tremendous sale or rebate to encourage the purchase. Were you happy with the purchase, or am I better off just spending the money on extra ammo to enjoy the P226 that I already have?

This is as close as I come to the question? G20 and 40, G21 and 41 and DE 50, but with 44mag barrel and mag change (using same slide and frame full size). Also having xdm's in precision, but different cartridges (same caliber though). Glock small frames 9mm, 357sig and 40smith. M&P line 9mm and 10mm (different versions).

I’d always heard that the Sig P226 was a great gun, but I’ve never been a big Sig Sauer guy, and I have never paid more than about $600 on a handgun. The $899-$1399 price tag for the P226 had always kept me from ever adding one to my collection. I took a chance on an LE Trade-In model in .40 S&W because it was priced under $500.

I took my new to me P226 to the range this weekend, and I really like the gun. I am now considering buying a new 9mm version. I’ve owned several models in different calibers, but they were usually Glocks because I could get them for the discounted Blue Label price. I did pick up two XD Mod.2 handguns in .45 ACP and 9mm, but this was primarily because I found them on a deep discount when the Mod.2 line was first discontinued. I’m the first to admit that I probably would never have purchased multiple Glocks or XD’s if I had paid full price for them.

A new 9mm P226 would be the most expensive handgun that I have ever purchased. I would like to know if any of you have ever bought the same handgun in different calibers when there was no tremendous sale or rebate to encourage the purchase. Were you happy with the purchase, or am I better off just spending the money on extra ammo to enjoy the P226 that I already have?
There are so many good choices with the 226. You could easily buy 4 or 5 of them and not feel like you got a dud in the bunch. Both Legions SAO and DA/SA are fantastic pistols and they come in a black LEO version if Legion Gray is too off the hook for you. If they’re not pricey enough the new 226 X5 is a family heirloom. The Mark 25 was good enough for the SEALs and the 226 Elite is the hot property right now. And if those are too much for your budget the plain Jane, garden variety 226 is still better than most in its price range.

When I started buying handguns I purchased the XD Mod2 Sub-Compact
(Grip Zone Versions)
in 9, 40, and 45ACP
And really enjoyed shooting and rotating all 3 into my EDC rotation, currently I only own the 40SW And still use that fine handgun occasionally as my carry gun because of its concealability even using the extended mags.
I see this thread being a lot about Sig Sauer handguns and honestly I don’t own 1 SS just to pricey for my budget.

Yes! I have DA revolvers in 38 only 357 and 45 acp (like revolvers) have M&P in 9mm (2) and 45 (2) I have had Glocks in other calibers with my 9mm

As far as SIg I have carried a Sig P series since 1994. A 220 in 45 then a 228 with part of my DOJ career and now run a 226 Legion. Sigs are great guns. I’d recommend you Get a specific 9mm version and spend the money. Some will say just get a barrel fine for a range toy but if you are ever going to carry it have a for the caliber gun to match.

As far as a 40 that’s a great round despite what the internet says. Yes it’s lost flavor but it’s still effective and doesn’t hurt to have one around. You will still find ammo for it also despite what the internet says.

One thing crucial with a 40 Change your recoil springs when or slightly before manufacturers recommendation. 40’s are way less forgiving than almost all other semi auto calibers

Good luck!

I have USP’s in all calibers produced, as well as USP Compacts.

I had P226’s in .40, .357 and 9mm; same for P229’s.

The only really important thing to remember is that if you bring different caliber versions of the same pistol to the range with you, it’s VERY easy to grab the wrong mag, with the wrong ammo…which, while not the end of the works, is definitely not something you want to do.

I say this because I did it; I had my Beretta 92 at the range, my buddy had his 96…I went to go shoot his, accidentally grabbed one of my mags, and could t figure out why I was getting failures to eject until the third round. Didn’t damage anything, but…felt pretty stupid.

I have always been intrigued by the P226 but never pulled the trigger(pun intended). Revolvers on the other hand, yep , I am guilty of spending more. I am certainly open to spending more on a quality piece. Find something you will love, want to hold onto and perhaps pass down. So …Go for it , they won’t get any cheaper and you might find yourself looking back wishing you had.

Yes I have and I found it to be a good thing. Sometimes you may just want to change things up with calibers but have the same platform. I have Glocks in 9MM & 45 and for the Sig P320 I have it in 9MM, 40. 357 Sig and most recently in 10MM which is now my EDC. I’m retired now but during my career I would change my handgun caliber depending on what the mission parameters called for. I tell my wife that guns are like diamonds you can never have enough. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Sig P226 in 9MM it is an awesome gun and I carried it for awhile mostly off duty. As for price I spent a small fortune on high quality 1911’s during my career but it was well worth it and I still have them. Sometimes you to go out the limb to get the best fruit. Good luck with what you decide

Since you're torn anyway. I would start looking for a trade in in 9 mm. The time it takes you to find one will give you time to think and decide if you really want to spend the money.

For logistical reasons, I went the other way. I sold every handgun I had that wasn't a 9 mm.

Back