testtest

Cali tries it again

It might stand if the courts allow the Texas abortion law to stand. A number of commentators talked about this before SCOTUS decided to hear the Texas case, how it sets a precedent for other states to go after other rights, like 2A, using the same strategy. Texas made a big mistake with the way they wrote that law; it opened the door to a bunch of unintended consequences.

Hi,

Oh, good grief. This is all about feelings and not about facts.

---------Quote----------
“I have directed my staff to work with the Legislature and the Attorney General on a bill that would create a right of action allowing private citizens to seek injunctive relief, and statutory damages of at least $10,000 per violation plus costs and attorney’s fees, against anyone who manufactures, distributes, or sells an assault weapon or ghost gun kit or parts in the State of California,” Newsom said in a statement. “If the most efficient way to keep these devastating weapons off our streets is to add the threat of private lawsuits, we should do just that.”
---------End Quote------

No. In order to deter "gun violence" the District Attorneys, DOJ, Attorney General, etc, need to let LEO do their job and arrest/prosecute criminals, get them off the streets, KEEP THEM IN JAIL, instead of letting them out on "no bail" or low bail releases. It's just insane.

But it makes them feel better, like they are doing something noble by restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens, and protecting the rights of the "justice affected" (or whatever they are calling criminals these days). They fool all their constituents with their rhetoric about a man-made secular utopia they are trying to create. All they are doing is controlling the citizens, growing government, taking away your rights, and growing their power.

/rant

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I'd love to get to a utopia, because that's a state where everything is perfect, but I digress. honestly, the way to stop gun violence isn't to punish after the violence, that's just treating a symptom well after the damage is done. You have to get to the root cause. Gun ownership is not the root cause; we've always had gun ownership. The root of the problem lies in some malignant cultural issues. Those need to be addressed if you want to slow this thing down and everyone is going to have to suck it up and make some concessions for those issues to be dealt with.

As to California, maybe they are making republicans and the religious right pay for what they're doing on abortion. "You pull some crap on us, we pull some crap on you" type of thing. Maybe California thinks it will actually help. Who knows. What I do know is, you'd better hope the Texas courts or the Supreme Court steps in and shuts Texas' abortion B.S. down hard, because a lot of people who enjoy their 2A rights are going to get it in the tailpipe if the courts let that Texas law stand. I don't know what Texas is thinking with it's recent legislation but they need to pull their heads from their rear ends posthaste. California is the biggest market in the country; if they put the squeeze on manufacturers then it will effect people in the other 49 states, too.

I'd love to get to a utopia, because that's a state where everything is perfect, but I digress. honestly, the way to stop gun violence isn't to punish after the violence, that's just treating a symptom well after the damage is done. You have to get to the root cause. Gun ownership is not the root cause; we've always had gun ownership. The root of the problem lies in some malignant cultural issues. Those need to be addressed if you want to slow this thing down and everyone is going to have to suck it up and make some concessions for those issues to be dealt with.

As to California, maybe they are making republicans and the religious right pay for what they're doing on abortion. "You pull some crap on us, we pull some crap on you" type of thing. Maybe California thinks it will actually help. Who knows. What I do know is, you'd better hope the Texas courts or the Supreme Court steps in and shuts Texas' abortion B.S. down hard, because a lot of people who enjoy their 2A rights are going to get it in the tailpipe if the courts let that Texas law stand. I don't know what Texas is thinking with it's recent legislation but they need to pull their heads from their rear ends posthaste. California is the biggest market in the country; if they put the squeeze on manufacturers then it will effect people in the other 49 states, too.
I wonder if it had anything too do with the constitutional carry or what ever new gun law pass? I know it went to house then got sent back after some changes, but don't know what happened after that?

I wonder if it had anything too do with the constitutional carry or what ever new gun law pass? I know it went to house then got sent back after some changes, but don't know what happened after that?
I doubt it. I'd be shocked if California cared about CC in Texas.

No, this is solely based on them seeing an opportunity due to the Texas abortion issue. Politicians are opportunists.
I'd love to get to a utopia...
That'll never happen as long as humans are involved.

If your referring to Texas.

Do you have any sources I can read? I'm very curious about this issue. I thought everything about the Texas law was unconstitutional but SCOTUS seems fine with looking the other way.
Well for starters the constitution doesn't say anything about abortion. It is, and should be, left to states to decide for themselves.

The guy I heard was I think a UCLA law professor. It was on NPR.

Well for starters the constitution doesn't say anything about abortion. It is, and should be, left to states to decide for themselves.

The guy I heard was I think a UCLA law professor. It was on NPR.
The Constitution doesn't say a lot of things but the Court decided they're on the "penumbra" and are therefore constitutionally protected just like any other right. Privacy, for instance.

I'll look for the UCLA interview.

benstt, I can agree with most of what you've written here, even the part about getting to the root cause (see my emphasis above) and that "gun ownership" is not that. What has to be recognized as a major part of the root cause is the fact that many/most criminal acts with the use of a gun is simply because there is no fear or concern about the possible consequences for that crime.

That has been plainly and extremely demonstrated over the past few months with the ending of most monetary bail options and just turning them right back out on the street. Over this short amount of time the only thing that has changed is consequences for crime. None of the so-called cultural/social issues have had time to change. Any cultural/social ills named have been in existence for many years, sometimes even generations.

In fact, all the recent BS regarding lessening any jail time, or other consequence by reducing LEO involvement are recent developments that correlates time wise to the recent major increase in overall crime nearly to the day! We've all seen the drastic increase in crimes of all types in recent months. No one who has eyes and a brain can deny how drastically crime overall has increased in the past year.

We can talk about fatherless homes, etc, which are certainly important in the whole scheme of things, as are many other social/cultural issues, but playing nice in any manner is not the answer. Neither is my "sucking it up and making concessions" ..... I, as a responsible, law abiding gun owner am not the problem.

Consequences/punishment must be swift, sure, and severe to get the attention of some of these 'defects' we see smashing and grabbing, the beating senseless of old men/women, B&E's of all sizes and shapes, etc, etc, etc. To some this will serve as a deterrent that does not exist right now. To others, assuming the consequence is sure and severe enough, it will prevent 2nd offenders. And how many 2nd offenders have we seen reported this past year?

I say again the major 'root cause' of crime of any sort is a lack of fear, or even concern for the potential consequences, which btw goes hand in hand with a total lack of any respect for law enforcement. When there is little to no serious consequences, crime of all types increases proportionately.

And as an aside, I think one of the best arguments against the California anti-gun proposal to mimic the Texas abortion law was offered by Prof Jonathon Turley (sp?). I can't seem to find it right at the moment, but I did hear most of his presentation and it seemed pretty logical to me.

Last edited:
Do you have any sources I can read? I'm very curious about this issue. I thought everything about the Texas law was unconstitutional but SCOTUS seems fine with looking the other way.
From what I read and heard SCOTUS turned it back to the lower court to decide.

That being said this is a attention grab for the California governor who will do anything to limit law abiding citizens from doing what the constitution gives responsible gun owners the right to do. He has also opened the door for other states to follow his lead.

Last edited:
It remains to be seen whether the Texas law is allowed to stand with any teeth. And I would bet lots and lots of money that the dipstick, California governor's latest little ridiculous ploy goes absolutely nowhere.

Let's hope you're right.
I think California ( and NY and Mass, New Jersey and other states) have already been violating federal, constitutionally protected 2A rights for years now. They already act like the states should have the power to make their own laws regarding firearms. And many states have done the exact same thing with marijuana laws and in at least one case, ALL drug laws. That's probably where Texas got the idea that they can regulate other things inside their borders.

Using the rationale that Governor PelosiNewsom is using, all the states ( including my own) which have enacted 2A sanctuary status can simply use, as precedent, all the states that have legal weed and illegal immigration sanctuary city laws on the books.

San Fransisco mayor, London Breed has made it plain she has seen the light ...... as one of the most outspoken 'race-baiters' regularly on the TV shows, and one of the most prominent proponents of de-funding their police dept, has finally conceded that's not the way to solve any LE problems perceived or otherwise. And surprise, surprise, surprise..... she is intending to increase police involvement and funding in areas of high drug use, high civil crime, and others when less than a year ago was touting de-funding the one group who stands between civilized people and the bunch of rabid defects that will, and have taken advantage of the so-called progressive's nonsensical policies.

Just a few days ago she made a big splash by proclaiming how the only way to stop this rising crime epidemic "is by us getting more 'aggressive in law enforcement and less tolerant of the 'bullchit' that has destroyed our city." She called for "progressive' policies that have allowed criminal behavior to make a mockery of the city's famed tolerance and compassion to be replaced with 'more aggressive policing'." The report goes on to say that rape and robbery cases have both dropped slightly. Any educated guess would be that it's highly likely there has been no actual drop in either one, but due to the nature of the crimes, and the likely-hood nothing would be done about them, they simply were not reported, especially considering the unfortunate stigma connected with rape.

Now that's slightly paraphrased since I don't remember the exact wording of her speech. But it was more than obvious she has 'seen the light'. Here's a link to highlights of her speech:

And bless her heart, even House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, speaking Wednesday, slammed the 'attitude of lawlessness' sweeping the nation, citing the mobs of robbers have targeted luxury boutiques in her hometown of San Francisco and stores in other cities. That's encouraging even though we all know just how concerned she might be for 'boutiques', even if not so much for the rest of the city.

Back