testtest

Can You Survive an "Unwinnable" Gunfight?

I don't train, don't do speed drills and run courses. used to some. at nearly 70 i shoot for enjoyment now. I don't train for a gunfight but i also stay out of places where that may happen. I understand it could happen anywhere and if it does and i lose, well i had a good life. too old and slow now.

I shoot cause i enjoy it, not cause i have too. also i won't stand toe to toe with someone shooting at each other. If i see that i am at a disadvantage i will not pull a gun. but if i see i can get the drop on a bad guy then yes. kinda hard to say what a person will do unless they have been in that situation before.
These toe-to-toe gunfight drills, as espoused in this article, are for law enforcement officers and military personnel that must “stay in the fight”. For myself, if I’m wounded and still ambulatory I now have that MUCH MORE motivation to seek shelter at some far distant place. To stay in the fight when you are bleeding or otherwise injured when you do not have to do so is insanity————— unless of course you have no other option. Then you do the best you can. Pray maybe?

In training for the postulated scenario, I first focus on memory. We often talk about muscle memory, which is a misnomer-your muscles do not have memory, the memory is in your brain. We are interested in development of neuromuscular memory, that is, causing our brain to make the body to do the things we want when we want them done. For our purposes there are two kinds of memory, one being selected memory, such as recalling a phone number or address or a password, etc. The other type of memory is an automatic memory, that does not require thought, such as walking, breathing, reacting to loud noise, etc. The goal in defensive training is to practice the physical activity (draw and shoot for example) to the extent that it transitions from an intentional physical response to an automatic response. Officers who faced a threat often experience having their gun in hand, with no conscious memory of drawing it. Repetitive drills builds that capability. When considered in light of John Boyd's OODA Loop, that kind of neuromuscular memory can get you inside your opponent's decision response. Practice often at speed and ranges that are most likely to occur. And keep in mind the Rule of 3's.

Officers who faced a threat often experience having their gun in hand, with no conscious memory of drawing it. Repetitive drills builds that capability. When considered in light of John Boyd's OODA Loop, that kind of neuromuscular memory can get you inside your opponent's decision response. Practice often at speed and ranges that are most likely to occur. And keep in mind the Rule of 3's.
FB_IMG_1711433143358.jpg

I've talked about this before. I used to have to walk the perimeter of this substation every night. The perimeter is a mile long.

Ever time I did it I would walk the fenceline practicing a four point draw. I never tried to do it fast, I just repeated it over and over again.

One night I was walking the fenceline and I spooked something. It got up, ran by me close enough that I could feel it and cleared the fence. That's why I know it wasn't a person. That fence was 8 feet tall and what ever it was (I think I spooked an Antelope) cleared it with one jump.

It wasn't until after it was gone that I realized I'd drawn my gun.

At another place I would put a towel on my desk and practice changing (empty) magazines. I did it for 20 minutes every night until I could do it blindfolded

And I’m pretty sure you’re not an actual person who has been in, much less won, gunfights. I think you’re just some rando doing some internet boasting. Like the “ Boogaloo Boys” talking about how if it’s time to hide them it’s time to use them. And what exactly is a gunfight at the highest level ?

Since you’re the one claiming that all the training pretty much everyone is doing is useless and we should all strive to shoot USPSA at a B class level or else we’re what, fudds???????, how about you post up some evidence of just one well known, respected tactical firearms Instructor making that claim.

Or you could just get back down in your mom’s basement and continue disseminating firearm advice based on your vast experience reading about it on other websites. Like Reddit. 😊

I am an old man though I guess. But definitely not as old as @Old_Me
Screenshot_20240427_113551_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240427_113551_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427_113551_Samsung Internet.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
View attachment 56686
I've talked about this before. I used to have to walk the perimeter of this substation every night. The perimeter is a mile long.

Ever time I did it I would walk the fenceline practicing a four point draw. I never tried to do it fast, I just repeated it over and over again.

One night I was walking the fenceline and I spooked something. It got up, ran by me close enough that I could feel it and cleared the fence. That's why I know it wasn't a person. That fence was 8 feet tall and what ever it was (I think I spooked an Antelope) cleared it with one jump.

It wasn't until after it was gone that I realized I'd drawn my gun.

At another place I would put a towel on my desk and practice changing (empty) magazines. I did it for 20 minutes every night until I could do it blindfolded
Speed-goats. I thought they didn't jump fences? I'm from WI, what the hell do I know....good story though. Enjoy your posts.

Speed-goats. I thought they didn't jump fences? I'm from WI, what the hell do I know....good story though. Enjoy your posts.
I think it was an antelope. When I did my rounds I never used a flashlight unless absolutely necessary. I didn't have it turned on. It was probably in my pocket.

I know it wasn't a person unless some random human being can hurdle an 8 foot fence. It was too big for a coyote and I don't think a deer could have jumped that high a fence. It wasn't a bear and after that I'm out of things to guess.

An antelope is the only thing that makes sense.

These toe-to-toe gunfight drills, as espoused in this article, are for law enforcement officers and military personnel that must “stay in the fight”. For myself, if I’m wounded and still ambulatory I now have that MUCH MORE motivation to seek shelter at some far distant place. To stay in the fight when you are bleeding or otherwise injured when you do not have to do so is insanity————— unless of course you have no other option. Then you do the best you can. Pray maybe?

In any situation involving firearms that it is not paramount that you defend the life of a loved one or innocent or any other person you feel the need to keep alive ( including yourself), as civilians, the way out is always the best way.

I think it was an antelope. When I did my rounds I never used a flashlight unless absolutely necessary. I didn't have it turned on. It was probably in my pocket.

I know it wasn't a person unless some random human being can hurdle an 8 foot fence. It was too big for a coyote and I don't think a deer could have jumped that high a fence. It wasn't a bear and after that I'm out of things to guess.

An antelope is the only thing that makes sense.
Hunted WY for many years and seen many antelope approach a fence. Invariably they go under it; never seen one jump a fence———not saying it couldn’t happen. If the incident took place where whitetail deer are present, it was most likely a deer. They are quite adept at jumping fences.

Hunted WY for many years and seen many antelope approach a fence. Invariably they go under it; never seen one jump a fence———not saying it couldn’t happen. If the incident took place where whitetail deer are present, it was most likely a deer. They are quite adept at jumping fences.
An 8-ft fence? And it wasn't barbed wire it was chain link so there wasn't any going under it?

The following is from Wikipedia. Check it out.

“White-tailed deer can run faster than their predators and have been recorded sprinting at speeds of 60 km (40 mi) per hour and sustaining speeds of 50 km (30 mi) per hour over distances of 5–6 km (3–4 mi);[55] this ranks them amongst the fastest of all deer, alongside the Eurasian roe deer. They can also jump 3 m (9 ft) high and up to 9 m (30 ft) forward.”

White tail wont make it over an 8’ fence. Thats why in Texas, all the “high fence deer ranches” are all 8’ closed wire fence. I see white tail go under a standard 4–6 strand cattle fence if it can do it as much as they go over it .

The following is from Wikipedia. Check it out.

“White-tailed deer can run faster than their predators and have been recorded sprinting at speeds of 60 km (40 mi) per hour and sustaining speeds of 50 km (30 mi) per hour over distances of 5–6 km (3–4 mi);[55] this ranks them amongst the fastest of all deer, alongside the Eurasian roe deer. They can also jump 3 m (9 ft) high and up to 9 m (30 ft) forward.”
The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know what it was.

I've seen antelope in that area I've never seen a deer in that area.

Back