testtest

Can You Survive an "Unwinnable" Gunfight?

My 85 year old father has dementia. He’s still a dead eye shot. Doesn’t mean he stands a chance in a gunfight. How well you can shoot is pointless beyond a certain point. If you can hit a fist sized target at 25 yards I’d say any improvement you do on that is irrelevant in a self defense situation. When you can nail your bullseyes while people are shooting at you and moving, then it’s relevant. Other than that it’s just some guys spending their time working on the wrong ****.
I've already told the story how a combat shooting went for me. I was a very good paper puncher but when the shite hit the fan I managed only two hits out of seven shots fired. No doubt I was scared and adrenaline was flowing. I think these factors would probably be in play in a civilian situation as well. How does one train for how he/she might react?

I'm gonna check real quick for any/all available opportunities ... whether to quick draw, fake a high/give up hand, try to scare/stare him down, or whatever feels/looks right for the moment. My hope would be that we're facing off at some distance and as I've said before, if there's any chance of running, that's my plan. And I just never learned to shoot over my shoulder at a dead run!

As Bassbob said, I'm pretty confident I can hit a "fist sized" target at 25 yards pretty regularly, but that's standing pretty squared up, well balanced, and using my good eye! So I guess that leads me to the conclusion I need to practice my running more than my shooting!!! Yeh, I said that! LOL!

I've already told the story how a combat shooting went for me. I was a very good paper puncher but when the shite hit the fan I managed only two hits out of seven shots fired. No doubt I was scared and adrenaline was flowing. I think these factors would probably be in play in a civilian situation as well. How does one train for how he/she might react?
The closest we can get without the real thing is to train with high levels of adrenaline. That means getting your heart rate up. A lot of the training I do is done after running. Then shooting moving targets while I am moving to and from "cover or concealment." And lots of yelling or noise. Things that make you uneasy. And everything is timed. Just a little more pressure.
And the guy running that outfit is a retired combat marine and marksmanship instructor as well as a now retired police captain from N. St. Louis county and marksmanship instructor. He was the guy that trains the cops.

Do I punch paper ? Of course. Fundamentals are, well fundamental. Saying you need to be a class B blah, blah in whateverPSA blah blah is a hot load of shite though. I mean I might get into competitive shooting someday. When I'm an old man. Not that there's anything wrong with competitive shooting, but if that's the only thing you're doing you're definitely doing it wrong. And if that's your barometer you're fooling yourself. And I find it difficult to take any combat vet, jump out boy or "Operator" who says that, seriously.

I'm gonna check real quick for any/all available opportunities ... whether to quick draw, fake a high/give up hand, try to scare/stare him down, or whatever feels/looks right for the moment. My hope would be that we're facing off at some distance and as I've said before, if there's any chance of running, that's my plan. And I just never learned to shoot over my shoulder at a dead run!

As Bassbob said, I'm pretty confident I can hit a "fist sized" target at 25 yards pretty regularly, but that's standing pretty squared up, well balanced, and using my good eye! So I guess that leads me to the conclusion I need to practice my running more than my shooting!!! Yeh, I said that! LOL!
You should start with a pumpkin sized target. Or a steel IDPA sillouhette. Or better yet, a remote controlled, wheeled box/cart with a kevlar vest wearing torso on a pole on it.

Of course, there is a lot of good advice in this particular article, but it is also just about an unmanageable amount of content for the average day-to-day person to absorb and bring into a training regimen that produces results when that training needs to be brought into play in a real-word situation. I feel my best defense to avoid personal harm is “distance”. The maximum amount of distance being “not being present in the first place”! I do everything I can to avoid troublesome places, and when that isn’t possible I ratchet up my “situational awareness” to the nth degree. I simply don’t let people get close to me (as much as I can avoid it). Example: if I’m in the parking lot of Home Depot at 3pm and I see someone I don’t know approaching me directly I’m not opposed to telling them “I don’t know you. I have no business with you. Don’t approach any closer.”. If they continue to approach, I move away, increasing the tactical distance as much as possible. If they close to within 21 feet then I consider that the beginning of a possible threat. This might seem extreme, but again the single factor that contributes the most to one’s personal safety is increasing distance, which increases your reaction time. If you are already injured because you let someone get too close all these “magic tricks” for unholstering your gun with your weak hand, reloading while your injured etc, is not likely to mean much. Your attacker is not going to be impressed by your high degree of tactical training at this level; he’s going to be closing the distance to finish what he started. Better if you are never there.

Of course, there is a lot of good advice in this particular article, but it is also just about an unmanageable amount of content for the average day-to-day person to absorb and bring into a training regimen that produces results when that training needs to be brought into play in a real-word situation. I feel my best defense to avoid personal harm is “distance”. The maximum amount of distance being “not being present in the first place”! I do everything I can to avoid troublesome places, and when that isn’t possible I ratchet up my “situational awareness” to the nth degree. I simply don’t let people get close to me (as much as I can avoid it). Example: if I’m in the parking lot of Home Depot at 3pm and I see someone I don’t know approaching me directly I’m not opposed to telling them “I don’t know you. I have no business with you. Don’t approach any closer.”. If they continue to approach, I move away, increasing the tactical distance as much as possible. If they close to within 21 feet then I consider that the beginning of a possible threat. This might seem extreme, but again the single factor that contributes the most to one’s personal safety is increasing distance, which increases your reaction time. If you are already injured because you let someone get too close all these “magic tricks” for unholstering your gun with your weak hand, reloading while your injured etc, is not likely to mean much. Your attacker is not going to be impressed by your high degree of tactical training at this level; he’s going to be closing the distance to finish what he started. Better if you are never there.
A lot of what you say is true. But what's being discussed here is basically a do or die situation. For whatever reason you're caught up in it and you have to act, even at the risk of serious injury or even death.

Each of the items he mentioned are good considerations for a defensive shooter building skills to add to the 'toolbox'. Before I would train any of those skills, I would seek out handgun retention training class. Before I would seek out a retention class, I would unload my carry gun, triple check it's unloaded, put it in the edc holster hold it over the mattress; invert it and smack the bottom of the holster with my off hand. If the gun comes out, you should find a different holster for edc -something with positive retention. You are exponentially more likely to be physically assaulted than get in a gunfight. If your gun drops on the floor and goes tumbling away, you've got an even more serious problem than you started with.

On the subject of gun games, there's very little the average person that has no access to a shoot-house or force-on-force training can do on a regular basis than participate in IDPA or USPSA matches. Being able to move, navigate obstacles, draw, shoot and reload in a variety of positions with a single/multiple targets or moving targets mixed in with 'no-shoot' targets -all while practicing safe gun handling definitely adds practical skill. There's more stress loading than most admit, with trying to hit targets and move through a course of fire without adding up penalties or being DQ'd while having the Safety Officer and other people on your squad watching. Just my opinion FWIW.

I mean I might get into competitive shooting someday. When I'm an old man. Not that there's anything wrong with competitive shooting, but if that's the only thing you're doing you're definitely doing it wrong. And if that's your barometer you're fooling yourself. And I find it difficult to take any combat vet, jump out boy or "Operator" who says that, seriously.
Gotta protect that ego! Even if it means making fun of actual people who have won gunfights at the highest level. Pretty sure you're already an old man with these boomer vibes you're giving off.

Gotta protect that ego! Even if it means making fun of actual people who have won gunfights at the highest level. Pretty sure you're already an old man with these boomer vibes you're giving off.
And I’m pretty sure you’re not an actual person who has been in, much less won, gunfights. I think you’re just some rando doing some internet boasting. Like the “ Boogaloo Boys” talking about how if it’s time to hide them it’s time to use them. And what exactly is a gunfight at the highest level ?

Since you’re the one claiming that all the training pretty much everyone is doing is useless and we should all strive to shoot USPSA at a B class level or else we’re what, fudds???????, how about you post up some evidence of just one well known, respected tactical firearms Instructor making that claim.

Or you could just get back down in your mom’s basement and continue disseminating firearm advice based on your vast experience reading about it on other websites. Like Reddit. 😊

I am an old man though I guess. But definitely not as old as @Old_Me

Last edited:
I’ve never been in a gunfight (nor had ANY desire to be🙄), however I did experience the thrill of staring down the barrel of a 4” Python in the hands of a psych patient once, and I can quantitatively state the .357 hole appeared to be about 2.5”😳. I practice a pretty decent amount, and have now for several decades. Competition shooting is fun and I’ve got a few Practical Pistol awards that are older than a lot of folks on this forum (early 80’s). I’m not tacticool, and don’t open carry or pack a ton of “cool” stuff with me. The best way to “win” is to avoid getting in a situation to begin with, si I avoid “high risk/high crime areas entirely. I’m not going to Mogadishu, and don’t worry about a herd (flock?) of zombies. I do not do “Mag dumps” to see how fast I can empty my pistol. I do, however put on my pistol when I get up in the morning, and take it off when I go to bed at night. I repeatedly practice quickly putting rounds on 1, 2, or 3 targets spaced apart at varying distances and different angles from 3-25 yards-and only hits count. As Wyatt Earp was quoted “ Speed is fine, but accuracy is final”. A hit with the first or second round will trump a hit on the 10th every single time….

If circumstances are beyond my control I may be a victim. But I refuse to ever be a helpless victim. Never give up.
HayesGreener, my sentiments exactly. My heart problem just won't allow me to run and I'm too old to take an *ss kicking. I might die on my feet, but I'll never die on my knees.

1714135268026.png

This reminds me of an adage I've heard before, "Don't go anywhere with a gun that you wouldn't go without one."

It may be apropos of nothing, and these days shootings happen in the most mundane places (schools, grocery stores, etc.) but I have total control (usually) of where I am, so that helps to some degree.

On a side note, the neighbors (if they are even paying attention) probably think I'm weird because going to and getting out of my car in the driveway, I always do a 360 check. My wife and I always back into the driveway. Little things, but I've heard most folks are the least aware of their surroundings at home and I feel like that's one of our most vulnerable locations.

This reminds me of an adage I've heard before, "Don't go anywhere with a gun that you wouldn't go without one."
The only problem with that is that if you take it to its logical conclusion I wouldn't go anywhere. Because I don't leave my home unarmed. So for me, I changed it to if I feel like I specifically need a gun to go someplace I probably shouldn't be there.
On a side note, the neighbors (if they are even paying attention)
The neighbors are always paying attention.
probably think I'm weird because going to and getting out of my car in the driveway, I always do a 360 check.
I'm positive I've mentioned this before but on my way to work one night while I was getting in my car two guys tried to rob me. On another night while I getting in my car to go to work somebody started shooting at the end of my parking lot. I always pay attention to my surroundings getting into and out of my car
My wife and I always back into the driveway.
I used to back into parking spots all the time because I thought it would make it easier for me to pull out. My wife always told me that sooner or later somebody was going to hit the front end of my car and disable the vehicle.

I didn't believe her.

Gues who was right?

And I’m pretty sure you’re not an actual person who has been in, much less won, gunfights. I think you’re just some rando doing some internet boasting. Like the “ Boogaloo Boys” talking about how if it’s time to hide them it’s time to use them. And what exactly is a gunfight at the highest level ?

Since you’re the one claiming that all the training pretty much everyone is doing is useless and we should all strive to shoot USPSA at a B class level or else we’re what, fudds???????, how about you post up some evidence of just one well known, respected tactical firearms Instructor making that claim.

Or you could just get back down in your mom’s basement and continue disseminating firearm advice based on your vast experience reading about it on other websites. Like Reddit. 😊

I am an old man though I guess. But definitely not as old as @Old_Me
Your idea of training is like learning how to do a wheelie before you know how to lean a motorcycle 45 degrees. You're practicing pointless parlor tricks before the fundamentals are cemented. The fact that you think B class is such a hard to attain level of proficiency is extremely telling of how scared you are of your ego getting hurt if we force you to be accountable of hits under time pressure... you know like a gunfight.

Your idea of training is like learning how to do a wheelie before you know how to lean a motorcycle 45 degrees. You're practicing pointless parlor tricks before the fundamentals are cemented. The fact that you think B class is such a hard to attain level of proficiency is extremely telling of how scared you are of your ego getting hurt if we force you to be accountable of hits under time pressure... you know like a gunfight.
First of all, I've been shooting since I was about 8 or 9. I'm 55 now. Your assumption that I don't have the fundamental skills is incorrect. I'm certainly not afraid of shooting static targets under pressure of a timer. In fact I do it all the time. and have for decades.

I don't think anything about class B because I don't have any idea of what that is.

Seems to me you meant to say something like this perhaps.

" You should get your fundamentals solid before worrying about tactical gun classes" Which is a valid point and one I agree with.

You should have said that rather than saying tactical gun classes are a waste of time unless you shoot at (insert bullshite classification level here)

There are really only a few guys here who are new to shooting. I am not one of them. And you absolutely do not need to shoot competitively to do anything other than to shoot competitively.

The only problem with that is that if you take it to its logical conclusion I wouldn't go anywhere. Because I don't leave my home unarmed. So for me, I changed it to if I feel like I specifically need a gun to go someplace I probably shouldn't be there.

The neighbors are always paying attention.

I'm positive I've mentioned this before but on my way to work one night while I was getting in my car two guys tried to rob me. On another night while I getting in my car to go to work somebody started shooting at the end of my parking lot. I always pay attention to my surroundings getting into and out of my car

I used to back into parking spots all the time because I thought it would make it easier for me to pull out. My wife always told me that sooner or later somebody was going to hit the front end of my car and disable the vehicle.

I didn't believe her.

Gues who was right?
Agree with all of that - I don't leave unarmed either, so it does inform my choice of destinations. I'll go in banks, the post office, and other places that are supposedly gun-free because what they don't know won't hurt them. But one example is, a co-worker (female) and I were at a company event in Mississippi - I think it was Oxford - and we had walked out of the hotel after looking for a place to eat. We followed the directions the front desk staff had given and found ourselves walking away from most of the "lit" area and toward an underpass in which we could see a couple of shadows moving. I was carrying as always, but we looked at each other and said, "Nope - wrong direction." I dang sure wouldn't have gone there unarmed and wasn't going to do it armed, either. We backtracked and found an okay place to eat, but that's the way I interpret the advice above.

Interesting about backing in and having the car disabled. But, of course, the wife is ALWAYS right ;)

I don't train, don't do speed drills and run courses. used to some. at nearly 70 i shoot for enjoyment now. I don't train for a gunfight but i also stay out of places where that may happen. I understand it could happen anywhere and if it does and i lose, well i had a good life. too old and slow now.

I shoot cause i enjoy it, not cause i have too. also i won't stand toe to toe with someone shooting at each other. If i see that i am at a disadvantage i will not pull a gun. but if i see i can get the drop on a bad guy then yes. kinda hard to say what a person will do unless they have been in that situation before.

Back