testtest

Cant hit the broad side of a barn

Cobbh84

Alpha
I bought a brand new saint victor in .308 and have put about 75 rounds through it. It has not gotten better than about a 15 inch group or so at 100 yards. Has anybody had this issue? Im thinking it is the barrel. I havent contacted springfield yet. Any recommendations? TIA

I bought a brand new saint victor in .308 and have put about 75 rounds through it. It has not gotten better than about a 15 inch group or so at 100 yards. Has anybody had this issue? Im thinking it is the barrel. I havent contacted springfield yet. Any recommendations? TIA
What are you using for sights?

Scope, irons, reflex, RDS?

What is your barrel twist rate and bullet grain weight?

I have shot a whole variety of ammo all factory loads. It is the factory 16” barrel 1:10 twist. Swampfox optics scope with their scope mount to match all torqued to specs with a torque tool. Standard trigger the gun is 100% from the store with original parts just added the optic and all shots were from bench rest with a magpul bipod or in a shooting table with the adjustable rests and sandbags.

Need info:
What sights
What brand of ammo

Have you checked all your scope mount screws and fittings??

I had some loose mount screws on a 3x9 scope and couldn’t hit better than 10” at 30 yards. Scope was moving after each recoil

Edit: we posted at same time
I see your reply from others request

Also i have removed the rail and wiggled everything i could wiggle and saw no obvious movement in barrel nut, barrel, and wiggled scope mount and scope with no obvious wiggle also. Thats why i felt i could probably narrow it to the barrel or the optic. I personally didnt think scope only because i had a leopold fail one time and it would only not hold elevation. Where with this one every shot is scattered.

Stupid question but have you tried it on a rest? Sometimes a new trigger can throw the best of us off.i got a new P365xl and was shooting it consistently left the first few times.
Yup prone on a magpul bipod with sandbags under the stock. And also off a bench with the adjustable rests. I have the same results no matter what ammo.

Yup prone on a magpul bipod with sandbags under the stock. And also off a bench with the adjustable rests. I have the same results no matter what ammo.
Is the barrel free floating or does it have a barrel mounted handguard?

A scope/mounts can be moving enough to throw shots off by10"-15" @ 100 yds without being detectable by shooter simply pushing/pulling on them. It doesn't take much at the scope to move the POI that much at 100 yds.

Movement can also be internal/inside the scope, in which case there would be no discernable movement of the scope and/or mount.

Also i have removed the rail and wiggled everything i could wiggle and saw no obvious movement in barrel nut, barrel, and wiggled scope mount and scope with no obvious wiggle also. Thats why i felt i could probably narrow it to the barrel or the optic. I personally didnt think scope only because i had a leopold fail one time and it would only not hold elevation. Where with this one every shot is scattered.
I'm willing to bet the scope is toast. I've had a similar issue with a bad scope on a different rifle.

Back