testtest

Can't punch out stripper clip guide retaining pin

pumpkin

Alpha
I'm trying to install a Vortex Venom red dot sight on my SA M1A SOCOM, and can't punch out the retaining pin from the stripper clip guide. I'm following the instructions in this video, but not matter how hard I hit the punch with a mallet the retaining pin doesn't budge.

I tried punching it out from the bottom to the top too and that also didn't work. What could be the problem? I'll mention that I'm using a punch smaller than 3/32" as mentioned in the video because 3/32" is too big for the retaining pin hole in my M1A. Could it be possible that red loctite was used in my retaining pin?

IMG_20210718_191929932.jpg

I'm trying to install a Vortex Venom red dot sight on my SA M1A SOCOM, and can't punch out the retaining pin from the stripper clip guide. I'm following the instructions in this video, but not matter how hard I hit the punch with a mallet the retaining pin doesn't budge.

I tried punching it out from the bottom to the top too and that also didn't work. What could be the problem? I'll mention that I'm using a punch smaller than 3/32" as mentioned in the video because 3/32" is too big for the retaining pin hole in my M1A. Could it be possible that red loctite was used in my retaining pin?

View attachment 19109
I had the same issue
With the exact size punch stated to use
Stuck like glue
Finally took a really hard whack with a large hammer on the punch

What I've done is use 1 about 1/8" bigger too keep the edges from bulging and tap it until it's flush. Then use smaller than the exact size too keep it from wedging in the hole. Even on stubborn roll pins or split pins with no issues. Like another stated, "heat" possibly from a lighter, but you have to heat the outside area. If you heat the inside (the 1 to be removed) it causes it to expand. When installing press fit wrist pins on a piston I would freeze the pins and heat the pistons. Worked perfect!

May try deburring on inside and out of roll pin, then try correct size punch with hammer again or drill out roll pin using smaller sized drill bit than pin. (Slightly larger than hole in roll pin.) progressing to larger bits, stopping in size just before roll pin size. Roll pin punch usually works best. Has small raised tit in center of punch tip to help guide punch.

Heating outside metal around roll pin can also work. Expands outer metal material and may loosen any lock tite or locker if used. Best of luck on roll pin removal! :)
Wheeler Engineering Roll Pin Punch Set

I ended up having to take it to a gunsmith to get the pin out, and he had to actually break the stripper clip to get it out.

Why aren't you mounting the red dot on to the scout rail?

That's what it's there for, especially for MRDs.

Why aren't you mounting the red dot on to the scout rail?

That's what it's there for, especially for MRDs.

Using the stripper clip mount makes the red dot lower. From my understanding the lower the sight the better, plus the cheek weld is lower.

Get a couple of new roll pins, put them in the freezer overnight, use correct roll pin punch, do not be shy with the hammer.

The good news is, the mount went on with no issues. Including the new roll pin.

But DAMN getting that old one out surely sucked.

Back