testtest

Carry Guns: Does Size Matter?

3" barrel or less and short grip aka 13 rounds or less. Anything else will print, and is too large to carry especially in warm weather. I prefer OWB conceal carry with a leather pancake holster. For that reason, I find myself primarily carrying the Hellcat or Kahr MK9 as I can carry OWB with just a medium t-shirt on without printing. Everything else is typically carried IWB.

For me it's the:
  1. Micro 9mm (Hellcat, P365, etc)
  2. Single/staggered stacks (Shields and Shield Plus, Walther PPS, Kahr K and MK series)
  3. Subcompacts (APX, XD Mod 2, CZ , etc)
  4. 2.5-3" revolvers (S&W J & L frames, Colt King Cobra, Kimber K6s)

Yes it does.

All these categories have not been standardized that's why manufacturers call things in order to attract attention, like SA calling the Hellcat a micro-compact, which it isn't as per the article. The Hellcat is a subcompact.

That being said IMO it all depends in the season and what you can carry effectively. To me a real micro-compact is in the Kahr PM/CM9 size class. And that can be effectively carried in the summer "shorts" season.

My .02.
Resizer_16793494902551.jpeg

I see the Hellcats and P365 as micro compacts, staggered stacks, or hybrids (not a subcompact as they are all generally shorter, thinner, and lighter than traditional double stack subcompacts). I own a Kahr MK9 and MK40 both of which are smaller than the CM9/PM9, and size wise there's nothing my MK9 can do or fit in that my Hellcat cant. People often carry Hellcats and P365s in their pockets, but not so with Glock 26, XD subcompacts, M&P 2.0 subcompacts, etc.

Glock 43/48, M&P Shield, etc as single stacks. Glock 26 and other sub 3" +/- double stacks as being sub compacts, and 4" +/- barrels being compacts, and 5" +/- barrels as being fullsize. That seems to be the standard.

All in all, manufacturers give the subcompact, compact, and fullsize categories in relation to the sizes of THEIR pistols without there being any correlation to other manufacturers. That is, if manufacturers X had a 3.8", 4.8", and a 5.8" pistol, they would naturally state the 3.8=subcompact, 4.8" compact, and the 5.8" is the fullsize based on their sequence of offerings.

Last edited:
SA calls the Hellcat (double stack) a micro-compact whereas Kahr calls the PM9 (single stack) a compact even though its smaller (thinner/shorter) than the Hellcat.

So, since there's no rhyme or reason in the industry (as well as the gun rag writers) I'll stick with my logic, which is in sync with this...

Micro-Compact Pistol. A micro-compact, as you might have expected, is to a sub-compact as a slim size is to a compact size, which is to say: the barrel length and grip length/height is usually the same as a subcompact pistol, but the width is shrunk down from double stack to single or staggered stack.

So to me the Hellcat is a subcompact & the PM9 is a micro-compact.

My Hellcat won't fit in my pockets without discomfort & major printing and rides in an OWB holster, whereas my PM9 fits easily into a pocket w/o printing in a Nemesis holster.

But to each his/her/its' own.

My .02

I have meaty wide hands so the micros just don't feel right for me. I carried the Ruger SP101 for a long while which is not very small or light and only 5 rounds, but I managed it with an OWB even in perpetual summer here in FL. Just had good cover shirts and good belts on cargo shorts or jeans. I bought a Hellcat a few months ago without fondling it first, impulse buy, and it didn't feel right for me after i got it for EDC. So I have switched now to my SA XD Subcompact 9mm 3.0". It's got a 13rd flush mag and 16rd extended mag. I use OWB with the flush mag in and carry 1 extended mag. I shoot it better than most any other (non-1911) gun that I have and it works well for me. I try to follow Clint Smith's advice to carry the biggest gun you can manage and shoot well. That is my XD SC 9mm box stock and very reliable.
SAXD9MMSC.jpg

I have a patented 3 step system to determine if a handgun is suitable and it completely ignores labels, others opinions, and other reviews.

Step one: pick up handgun. If it "feels right" move on to step two. If it "feels wrong" put down and move on.

Steps two and three are usually post purchase unless I am lucky enough to borrow a copy of the handgun.

Step two: Shoot handgun. If it shoots well and feels good shooting move on to step three. If it shoots poorly repeat step Two until a decision is made to keep and move to step three or sell and start again at step one. if it feels bad during shooting yet it shoots well, sell and move back to step one no matter how well it shoots. Occasionally changing grips helps with poor feel and can be tried before selling.

Step three: this one can take time and experimentation. Try various holster options, from the holsters I like, to see if it can conceal adequately. If it simply does not work sell firearm and move back to step one. If it works put into rotation.

It's a complicated system I know, but I find it works very well for me.

Currently I am reviewing step two with thecP365xl even though it passed all steps. It shoots fantastic, it feels good in shooting, and it feels good in hand. Yet... it feels wrong and uneasy, not having a hammer and safety is something I am struggling with. This one is confusing...

Last edited:
I have a patented 3 step system to determine if a handgun is suitable and it completely ignores labels, others opinions, and other reviews.

Step one: pick up handgun. If it "feels right" move on to step two. If it "feels wrong" put down and move on.

Steps two and three are usually post purchase unless I am lucky enough to borrow a copy of the handgun.

Step two: Shoot handgun. If it shoots well and feels good shooting move on to step three. If it shoots poorly repeat step Two until a decision is made to keep and move to step three or sell and start again at step one. if it feels bad during shooting yet it shoots well, sell and move back to step one no matter how well it shoots. Occasionally changing grips helps with poor feel and can be tried before selling.

Step three: this one can take time and experimentation. Try various holster options, from the holsters I like, to see if it can conceal adequately. If it simply does not work sell firearm and move back to step one. If it works put into rotation.

It's a complicated system I know, but I find it works very well for me.

Currently I am reviewing step two with thecP365xl even though it passed all steps. It shoots fantastic, it feels good in shooting, and it feels good in hand. Yet... it feels wrong and uneasy, not having a hammer and safety is something I am struggling with. This one is confusing...
I grew up with hammer fire pistols, exposed hammer with 2 or 3 safeties and it was a jump to get used to striker fire without manual safeties.

I have Sig P320 x-carry and Sig P365 xl both 9mm and no manual safety.
I guess it is just adaptation to something new?
I know, we were all taught never put your finger on the trigger or aim at someone unless you are going to shoot.
That does not change.
I've had them years and never had any issues or ever anything related to safety issue.

To me: Both fit your 3 step criteria.

I grew up with hammer fire pistols, exposed hammer with 2 or 3 safeties and it was a jump to get used to striker fire without manual safeties.

I have Sig P320 x-carry and Sig P365 xl both 9mm and no manual safety.
I guess it is just adaptation to something new?
I know, we were all taught never put your finger on the trigger or aim at someone unless you are going to shoot.
That does not change.
I've had them years and never had any issues or ever anything related to safety issue.

To me: Both fit your 3 step criteria.

If they work for you, that's all that matters

Speed, power, and accuracy determine the outcome of a deadly conflict. It is a balancing act. Micro guns have inherent limitations in terms of power and accuracy. More power (caliber) typically equates to a larger frame. Likewise most shooters tend to be more accurate with larger handguns. But larger size handguns can affect concealment options as well as presentation speed. More power may also affect speed of follow up shots. Carry method (holster) figures prominently into the equation. My thinking is to bring as much gun as I can conceal and shoot accurately then practice my presentation until my speed reaches potential. There is a sweet spot in the balancing act. For me it is a Sig P220 or a 1911 in .45acp, in a strong side OWB holster, but everyone's best niche may be different.

Back