testtest

Carrying a Concealed Firearm in a Place of Worship

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) is the nation’s risk advisor and released a report in 2020 on the targeted violence against houses of worship (HoWs).[1] This was a 10-year study from 2009-2019. In the 10 years there were 37 incidents of targeted violence in which 64 people died, and another 59 were injured.

1616517067736.png

I have made a habit of carrying my sidearm ALL of the time.
It has become so ingrained, I can't feel comfortable going out to the garage without being "fully dressed".
For me, going to church is just like going to the garage or any place else.
No sidearm, no Kurt.
If folks can't deal with it, sorry.

It's a funny thing. My wife used to be concerned when I began carrying a firearm all the time. Now she's more concerned about my "extra" knife than the pistol.
She said to me only yesterday, "You don't want people to think you're a nut, do you?"
Go figure.
I think I'm making progress.

If I have my pants on, I have a gun on me. I have trained church security details in defensive shooting and gun handling. A frequent comment from students was that they had no idea there was so much involved in using a defensive pistol effectively. Just having a concealed weapons license is not sufficient, albeit better than a sharp stick. Some states prohibit guns in churches. Florida does not prohibit it, but there is a conflict of law if the church also has a conjoined school. A bill is working its way through the Florida legislature that would make it allowable and I expect it to pass.

The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) is the nation’s risk advisor and released a report in 2020 on the targeted violence against houses of worship (HoWs).[1] This was a 10-year study from 2009-2019. In the 10 years there were 37 incidents of targeted violence in which 64 people died, and another 59 were injured.

View attachment 16153
Very good awareness article. Thanks for helping spread the word!

Am familiar with HoW info.
One thought to ponder is if gaining permission to carry in a HoW, GET IT IN WRITING as well as verbal permission. Who knows what when and if, on who's going to be incapacitated to confirm only verbal permission?

Not advocating anything for others but if the weight of my Kimber Micro 9
is not felt in my right front pocket, I'm not going anywhere (cept maybe to
the bathroom at home) and that includes banks and houses of worship, and
I have that in writing in my second Amendment rights. I'll accept the risks of
the consequences rather than risk being a victim that can not resist.

Church security and nearly any manner of protective services commonly depends heavily on methodology and the mitigation, control and management of potentially dangerous/dangerous or unwelcomed conditions. The process of providing a "secure" environment is generally a culmination of policies, procedures, training, tactics, strategics, technology, personnel, communications, facility or venue design, access control, logistics and of course, money. Much can depend on a philosophy such as "reactive" or "proactive" as they are very different approaches toward a very similar mission.

Shooting skills are often considered to be one part of a much larger overall mechanism.. Shooting is something that can often be avoided if you do everything else right. Methods, strategics and tactics can often overcome or effectively compensate for what someone may lack in absolute shooting skills but I consider it much harder to overcome poor method, poor tactics and poor strategics with impressive shooting skill. It doesnt mean that you cant but I would consider it harder is most situations. I am a proponent of church security but I certainly hope that anyone who decides to hold themselves out as some sort of "protector" of others, will learn how to do it and seek out the proper training. Again, the gun is but one minute element.

I come from an extended family that is involved in 2 different religions and 4 different churches, each with a security team. I will say that out of the 4 churches, only one has what I would call a security mechanism. The other 3 simply have guys carrying guns. I am not involved in any of these teams but I did share some basic edicts of protection with two team members who seemed more interested in talking about red dots sights and less about what protection is actually about. I have learned to just mind my own business.

Last edited:
Our church has several things that make up our security system, including cameras, security drills, locked doors, etc. I am hopeful none of that will ever be critically needed, but we spent some money and effort in developing a system that works for our group.

The very best defense against an active shooter is to avoid having one in the first place. Facilities design, intelligence, early warning systems, risk assessment, video, physical barriers, etc are some items that can lower risk.

Very few volunteers for an armed church security detail are willing or able to invest the time and money it takes to train a highly effective active shooter response team. Some law enforcement and security agencies are not up to par either.

Some scenario training is important so team members can function more or less as a team, but marksmanship training is absolutely essential. One of the most important lessons for individuals to learn is to know their own limitations with a handgun. Most CCW licensees have no formal handgun marksmanship training and if they did, it is probably rudimentary. Shooting in a room full of parishioners is fraught with many hazards. Not everyone can make a head shot at 15 yards e.g., and it is highly likely the shooter will not present himself like a full on B27 or B21 target. Range time for this kind of detail needs to illustrate this with emphasis on discretion and precision. In the meanwhile you hope to have a couple individuals who have spent a lot of time on the range.

This is one of the best threads I’ve read on the forum in a long time. The topic itself is open to so much interpretation to the general belief in security in this day and age. I like many stated feel naked when I’m not carrying to the point that I often don’t feel the gun on me. Do I carry in church?
Great question, I have and I haven’t at times. More times I have.

Very few volunteers for an armed church security detail are willing or able to invest the time and money it takes to train a highly effective active shooter response team. Some law enforcement and security agencies are not up to par either.

Plenty can be learned in the days, weeks, months and years... that people sit around on a "church security team". Having someone who knows how to implement a protective operation ( 101 kind of stuff ) , instructing others, initiating protocols and insuring that those involved actually have a conceptual understand of what their job responsivities are- can go a long way toward overall effectiveness. It doesnt have to be costly and the time involved does not have to be punitive. The question is whether a church actually has a security team or not. The subject is serious enough to warrant some effort beyond standing around with a shiny gun. There is nothing wrong with a guy/gal going armed and being willing to take action. I just would not call that a security team.

The very best defense against an active shooter is to avoid having one in the first place. Facilities design, intelligence, early warning systems, risk assessment, video, physical barriers, etc are some items that can lower risk.

Some scenario training is important so team members can function more or less as a team, but marksmanship training is absolutely essential. One of the most important lessons for individuals to learn is to know their own limitations with a handgun. Most CCW licensees have no formal handgun marksmanship training and if they did, it is probably rudimentary. Shooting in a room full of parishioners is fraught with many hazards. Not everyone can make a head shot at 15 yards e.g., and it is highly likely the shooter will not present himself like a full on B27 or B21 target. Range time for this kind of detail needs to illustrate this with emphasis on discretion and precision. In the meanwhile you hope to have a couple individuals who have spent a lot of time on the range.
Is why good ushers are important. They can deescalate an issue before it becomes one or a bigger one. Sometimes by just being open and obviously there or just by offering a few simple words. Many conflicts start, end or dissolve by a few simple words to the right people in the right places.

My wife and I are not big on organized religious ceremonies or any other organized gathering of people. We are both religious people but in a more private setting.

However we have investigated the few churches we have visited, for events with daughter and grandchildren. prior to going and found if they are weapon free zones in accordance with Michigan's cpl rules.

Church security and nearly any manner of protective services commonly depends heavily on methodology and the mitigation, control and management of potentially dangerous/dangerous or unwelcomed conditions. The process of providing a "secure" environment is generally a culmination of policies, procedures, training, tactics, strategics, technology, personnel, communications, facility or venue design, access control, logistics and of course, money. Much can depend on a philosophy such as "reactive" or "proactive" as they are very different approaches toward a very similar mission.

Shooting skills are often considered to be one part of a much larger overall mechanism.. Shooting is something that can often be avoided if you do everything else right. Methods, strategics and tactics can often overcome or effectively compensate for what someone may lack in absolute shooting skills but I consider it much harder to overcome poor method, poor tactics and poor strategics with impressive shooting skill. It doesnt mean that you cant but I would consider it harder is most situations. I am a proponent of church security but I certainly hope that anyone who decides to hold themselves out as some sort of "protector" of others, will learn how to do it and seek out the proper training. Again, the gun is but one minute element.

I come from an extended family that is involved in 2 different religions and 4 different churches, each with a security team. I will say that out of the 4 churches, only one has what I would call a security mechanism. The other 3 simply have guys carrying guns. I am not involved in any of these teams but I did share some basic edicts of protection with two team members who seemed more interested in talking about red dots sights and less about what protection is actually about. I have learned to just mind my own business.
…. very well written….

Hmm…I didn’t open the article, but:
10 years, 37 incidents 64 fatalities and 59 ‘injured’….
Statistically, this is a non-issue.

Here is the first of 12 excellent videos by Warrior Poet Society on church security:

In Louisiana you can legally carry in church if it's ok with the church. My pastor requires only that you provide the church a photocopy of your concealed carry license, which they keep on file in the church office.

Well said

Back