testtest

Carrying (and using) in my car

Jimbo

Elite
My dad always told me that my car was equal to my "domicile", and therefore I could both carry a gun and use it in the car if I was attacked.

I grew up in Louisiana; I now live in Texas.

Does anyone know the law with regard to this issue?

Here's what brought this question to my mind: I just saw a video where an irate and unreasonable passenger refused to get out of a Lyft car, because the driver didn't play music on the ride, and wouldn't refund his money. It occurred to me that if I were home, and some stranger were in my house and refused to leave, I could legally point a gun at him and tell him to get out. But what about in my car? What if I were the Lyft driver? Would I go to jail if I pointed a gun at the irate customer, entirely within the car, and ordered him to exit the vehicle?

Here's the video, in case anyone wants to watch it:

The driver had great restraint; the passenger was a total Karen.

If you were in a state that was 2nd Amendment friendly, would you have pulled a gun on the passenger and ordered him out? (Pardon the profanity.)

Well. You're in Texas. You can do anything. As a Lyft driver you can get fired for having a permit let alone carrying a weapon. I was just looking at USCCA for carry laws. I would consult them.

Here's an excerpt from Lyft's Weapon's policy:
"We approach this from a community perspective. It's hard to know what someone else is or isn't comfortable with. The mere presence of a weapon might make another community member distressed and fear for his or her own personal safety."
(https://help.lyft.com/hc/e/articles/115012923127-Safety-policies)

The thing is, my gun is highly concealed; no one would ever see it, unless he pulled a gun or a knife on me. So no one would ever be distressed at the "mere presence" of my gun, because they would never know I had one.

Here's an excerpt from Lyft's Weapon's policy:
"We approach this from a community perspective. It's hard to know what someone else is or isn't comfortable with. The mere presence of a weapon might make another community member distressed and fear for his or her own personal safety."
(https://help.lyft.com/hc/e/articles/115012923127-Safety-policies)

The thing is, my gun is highly concealed; no one would ever see it, unless he pulled a gun or a knife on me. So no one would ever be distressed at the "mere presence" of my gun, because they would never know I had one.
The article I just read in USCCA stated some In some areas the no weapon signage is not enforceable.
If I were in a jurisdiction that stated I could not enforce a no weapons then the solution would be not to hire anyone with a permit. But in areas with permit less carry it could not be enforced. This is my understanding.

My dad always told me that my car was equal to my "domicile", and therefore I could both carry a gun and use it in the car if I was attacked.

I grew up in Louisiana; I now live in Texas.

Does anyone know the law with regard to this issue?

Here's what brought this question to my mind: I just saw a video where an irate and unreasonable passenger refused to get out of a Lyft car, because the driver didn't play music on the ride, and wouldn't refund his money. It occurred to me that if I were home, and some stranger were in my house and refused to leave, I could legally point a gun at him and tell him to get out. But what about in my car? What if I were the Lyft driver? Would I go to jail if I pointed a gun at the irate customer, entirely within the car, and ordered him to exit the vehicle?
You might want to acquaint yourself with use of force laws before you ever carry a gun…because what you think you can do and what you actually CAN do are two VERY different things.

Point a gun at someone in your house who just doesn’t want to leave? You’re going to jail. Same as your car.

You just made one of the best arguments for requiring training before carrying a weapon I’ve ever read.

You might want to acquaint yourself with use of force laws before you ever carry a gun…because what you think you can do and what you actually CAN do are two VERY different things.

Point a gun at someone in your house who just doesn’t want to leave? You’re going to jail. Same as your car.

You just made one of the best arguments for requiring training before carrying a weapon I’ve ever read.
Agreed. If you are not justified in shooting, don't pull it-pointing a gun at someone is a felony assault in most states if you are not justified in using deadly force.

I agree with HansGruber and HayesGreener. As a rule you can't use deadly force unless you are threatened with deadly force and you can make the case that you feared for your life. If you have a guest that just doesn’t want to leave then call the police. The Lyft driver made the best choice for the situation. In this case I guess he could have pulled over and told them to get, but his decision to handle it the way he did worked out for him.

Back