testtest

Carrying Full-Size Handguns

So you would consider a VP9 ( 4.1" barrel) a compact ? I guess they didn't need to make the VP9SK.
Not me, and I have forgotten the odd size barrels(4.1, 4.125, etc.) I am only going by what other manufacturers do. Again, the firearms I currently own are classified as either sub-compact or compact by the manufacturers. Now, my Springfield 1911 Loaded is a 5" barrel and IS "Full Size". My MC2C, while it has a 3.9" barrel, is considered a Compact. Either it is the industry standards that determine this, or it is the manufacturers themselves.

For that matter a P30L ( long slide) is 4.45" barrel. Definitely not "Compact". I have a commander style double stack 1911 that's 4". Also not compact. Put any of those guns in an IWB holster and see if it feels compact.
I agree. I put my M&P .45 COMPACT in my IWB, and it feels like anything BUT a "compact". Again, I am just going by what the manufacturers classify them as.

I have 2 full size handguns, my XDM 45 4.5 barrel and my Emissary 45 5in barrel. My Emissary is my apartment gun/range gun and I will carry my XDM 45 on wildlife rescue calls in the SafariLand land holster open carry.
There is two reasons for that.

My two other carry guns are my current EDC mod2 sub compact 40 and my compact Elite 3.8 10mm w/optic, both of these are setup with extended mag grips but I don’t consider them full size guns.

I have 2 full size handguns, my XDM 45 4.5 barrel and my Emissary 45 5in barrel. My Emissary is my apartment gun/range gun and I will carry my XDM 45 on wildlife rescue calls in the SafariLand land holster open carry.
There is two reasons for that.

My two other carry guns are my current EDC mod2 sub compact 40 and my compact Elite 3.8 10mm w/optic, both of these are setup with extended mag grips but I don’t consider them full size guns.
My XD Mod 2 4" service model .45 is far from compact.

I carry a Sig P220 SAO .45 full size because I shoot it well and see no reason to deviate. A P226 SAO in 9mm is my fall back if the .45 is out of service for any reason. I am pretty simple minded so sticking with one gun and one manual of arms works for me. In my view it is all about dressing around the gun. I think about it this way. The chances of me ever having to draw and fire that gun in a hostile encounter is extremely unlikely, but if it happens, I want the gun to work and to be as accurate as possible in my hands.

Holsters in the article appear to be Blackpoint Tactical, which is my choice for concealed carry

Hi,

Nice article on carry a full size gun for CCW, lot of people do, I have carried my G17 for awhile, just got to select the right holster and dress accordingly.

Good general information article. Thanks!

Yes, I must carry what I own. This XD9 4" is not hard for me at all. I rarely carry the smaller CW9 'cause I don't shoot it as well. I'm still saving up to get the 5" Garrison (.45) for my birthday. I hope to carry it, at least occasionally. We'll see how comfortable of a holster I can find.

Yes, wardrobe is important too. I guess I'm going to have to give away my skinny jeans. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited:
Hi,

Good general information article. Thanks!

Yes, I must carry what I own. This XD9 4" is not hard for me at all. I rarely carry the smaller CW9 'cause I don't shoot it as well. I'm still saving up to get the 5" Garrison (.45) for my birthday. I hope to carry it, at least occasionally. We'll see how comfortable of a holster I can find.

Yes, wardrobe is important too. I guess I'm going to have to give away my skinny jeans. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
I occasionally carry my Garrison, but when I'm not worried about concealment even though I'm in an open carry state. The holster and belt really make a big difference here.

Back