testtest

Cartridge of the Week: The .22 Newton

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The .22 Newton
1645983413836.png

Charles Newton was an American lawyer and firearm enthusiast known for his experiments with cartridge design. Not as widely known as P.O. Ackley, Newton created several high velocity cartridges and has been called by some as "The Father of High Velocity.

Newton developed several calibers. The best known are the .22 Newton (90 grain bullet), .256 Newton, .30 Newton (180 grain bullet), .33 Newton (200 grain bullet), .35 Newton (250 grain bullet) and .40 Newton (300 grain bullet).

1645984729920.png

From 1914 until the late 1920s, he entered into various endeavors to promote and sell rifles in his proprietary calibers, but also led to the creation of the .22 Savage Hi-Power rifle cartridge which was adopted by Savage Arms as a commercial firearm cartridge. This success was soon followed by the design of the .250-3000 Savage.

The .22 Newton (also known as the 228 Newton) is a centerfire cartridge that originated In the early 20th Century. It was originally based on the 30/06 Springfield, but is thought to be was based on a necked-down 7x57mm Mauser case. The .22 Newton has a bullet diameter of 0.228 ", a case length Of 2.225 “, an overall length Of 2.85 “, and fired a 0.228-inch-diameter bullet weighing 90 grains at a muzzle velocity of 3,100 fps. . There Is very little information about this cartridge and the Newton Cartridge Co. was the only manufacturer known to have produced it. Several rifles were produced, and the .22 Newton proved to be very effective on deer.

Charles also experimented with wildcats based on the .30-06 Springfield case, most notably creating a forerunner of the .25-06 Remington. This cartridge was first introduced as the .25 Newton Special.

Custom-made .22 Newton cases are made by some manufactururs that cater to the vintage and wildcat deisgns.

The .22 Newton
View attachment 25159

Charles Newton was an American lawyer and firearm enthusiast known for his experiments with cartridge design. Not as widely known as P.O. Ackley, Newton created several high velocity cartridges and has been called by some as "The Father of High Velocity.

Newton developed several calibers. The best known are the .22 Newton (90 grain bullet), .256 Newton, .30 Newton (180 grain bullet), .33 Newton (200 grain bullet), .35 Newton (250 grain bullet) and .40 Newton (300 grain bullet).

View attachment 25160

From 1914 until the late 1920s, he entered into various endeavors to promote and sell rifles in his proprietary calibers, but also led to the creation of the .22 Savage Hi-Power rifle cartridge which was adopted by Savage Arms as a commercial firearm cartridge. This success was soon followed by the design of the .250-3000 Savage.

The .22 Newton (also known as the 228 Newton) is a centerfire cartridge that originated In the early 20th Century. It was originally based on the 30/06 Springfield, but is thought to be was based on a necked-down 7x57mm Mauser case. The .22 Newton has a bullet diameter of 0.228 ", a case length Of 2.225 “, an overall length Of 2.85 “, and fired a 0.228-inch-diameter bullet weighing 90 grains at a muzzle velocity of 3,100 fps. . There Is very little information about this cartridge and the Newton Cartridge Co. was the only manufacturer known to have produced it. Several rifles were produced, and the .22 Newton proved to be very effective on deer.

Charles also experimented with wildcats based on the .30-06 Springfield case, most notably creating a forerunner of the .25-06 Remington. This cartridge was first introduced as the .25 Newton Special.

Custom-made .22 Newton cases are made by some manufactururs that cater to the vintage and wildcat deisgns.
Got me on this one, I’m old and never heard of it

Do a literature search for "philip b.sharpe complete guide to handloading" -- I cut my teeth on handloading during the '50s and this was the handloading bible for me. Chock full of information and cartridge history.

Newton designed cartridges that would ideally have been best served by slower-burning powders that did not become available until about 30 years later.

Do a literature search for "philip b.sharpe complete guide to handloading" -- I cut my teeth on handloading during the '50s and this was the handloading bible for me. Chock full of information and cartridge history.

Newton designed cartridges that would ideally have been best served by slower-burning powders that did not become available until about 30 years later.
I recently built a .256 (6.5m) Newton on a M700 action with a Lilja barel and it should perform much better than the orginal with a much strong action/barrel and with todays powders and bullets.

Back