testtest

Cartridge(s) of the Week: The Gates Supermags

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
A super magnum is a longer and/or more powerful version of a "magnum" cartridge. The term "super magnum" typically refers to a handgun cartridge. This was achieved by lengthening the cases to both increase powder capacity and boost operating pressures.

The most widespread of these cartridges are the "SuperMag" family of super-magnum handgun cartridges that were proposed and tested by Elgin Gates in the 1970s. ll the new cartridges were dubbed SuperMags by Gates and were 1.610" in length,or about three-tenths of an inch longer than standard Magnum Cartridges. Mr. Gates made up cartridges in .357, .375, .44, .45, .50, and .60 caliber.

In the 1980s with the help of Eligan Gates, Dan Wesson Arms produced SuperMag revolvers in .357, .375, .414, and .445. The basic idea behind the SuperMag series was simple. It strived to offer performance that was superior to every magnum revolver cartridge of a given diameter in existence at that time. These Cartridges were made from Star-line Brass, not from another caliber so some people may consider them proprietary cartridges, and others may consider them wildcats.

1641146537494.png

The SuperMag family of cartridges is shown, the .357, the .375, the .414, and the .445.

.357 SuperMag

Based on the .357 magnum cartridge, a revolver or single-shot pistol designed for the .357 SuperMag can also fire .357 magnum and .38 Special rounds. The .357 SuperMag is essentially the same cartridge as the later-named.357 magnum Remington Maximum that was jointly developed circa 1982-1983 by Strum, Ruger & Company and Remington, the .357 Max brass being only 0.005" shorter than the .357 SuperMag brass, but identical in all other dimensions.

Ruger, as well as Dan Wesson, introduced revolvers in this cartridge, followed shortly later by Thompson/Center in their single-shot Contender. Due to flame cutting of the top strap of revolvers when shooting cartridges loaded with 125 grain bullets, Ruger discontinued their revolver in this cartridge after a short production run. Dan Wesson provided a second barrel to customers, but this failed to address customer fears, and the cartridge remained popular only in the T/C Contender. Remington then dropped this cartridge from production, although brass is still manufactured for reloaders every few years.

.375 SuperMag

Based on the .375 Winchester rifle cartridge, this custom round was meant to fit between the .357 and the .445, but is no longer produced. It had a tapered case that was prone to sticking in the cylinder after firing.

The .375 Super Mag. took a special jacketed revolver bullet of 220 grains made by Hornady. Ergo, and chambered in the Dan Wesson revolver. But, shooters concluded the combination didn’t shoot very well, and was dropped from prodcution with few being made. Star-Line brass is likewise rare.

.414 SuperMag

The last of the series, unlike its .357 SuperMag cousin, the .414 SuperMag never really caught on, partly due to a medium range performance that was not that different to the well-established .44 Remington Magnum. Consequently, the cartridge was never adopted by any of the major commercial ammunition producers, although custom ammo producers listed it, loaded with Starline brass.

Dan Wesson did commence chambering their 8” barrelled, heavy frame revolver for it in 2000, the numbers were small, due to lack of demand and terminated by their Chapter 11 bankruptcy. They also offered ‘factory’ .414 Super Mag ammo, based upon Starline cases topped with a 220-grain TC bullet, now highly collectable itself. Thompson Center were the only other manufacturer to catalogue the calibre, offering various lengths of chambered barrel for their Contender break action single shot arm.

.445 SuperMag

The .445 SuperMag is a high pressure cartridge and will allow higher muzzle velocities than most .44 Magnum bullets are designed for long range hunting and target revolver. Capable of knock-down performance surpassing 200 yards for Silhouette and 150 yards for hunting applications. he .445 Super Magnum can drive a heavy 300 grain bullet 120 ft/sec faster than the .44 Magnum cartridge can.

The .445 SuperMag allows the user to chamber and fire 44 special and 44 magnum ammunition..

While Dan Wesson handguns in .445 SuperMag ceased production in 2007, custom ammunition producters like Buffalo Bore continue to offer loaded ammunition. Starline brass is still available. And custom manufacturers occasionally offer T/C Encore barrels for the cartridge.

I had a Dan Wesson
445 Supermag with 10 imch scoped barrel assembly
6 inch barrel assembly and 4 inch heavy barrel assembly. I carried it on several hunts and fishing trips to Alaska. I had great confidence in the stopping power of my bear loads using a 300 grain hard cast bullet. It would penetrate a 4 x 6 piece of oak on either direction. I loved that Supermag. After much begging I recently sold to my younger brother. I now carry a Glock 20 10 mm as my AK bush gun.

Back