testtest

Check Your Hex Optic Battery and How to Zero RDS

Redleg99

Operator
So, I just bought the Hellcat RDP on the 1st of July, and already the battery has died.

Per SA's site, the battery should last 65,000 hours and elsewhere they say it should last 2 years.

I'm quite sure the gun I just bought has not been lying around in stock for 2 years or more.

The only thing that might have happened is that Springfield got in a batch of old CR 2032 batteries and shipped those out with the RDP.

Other than that, there may be an issue with how long these Hex Wasp "always on" Red Dot optics actually last.

Probably a good best practice to insert new batteries anyhow versus the ones that come shipped with the gun, but I would have thought the supplied battery would have been very new and recent.

So, I just bought the Hellcat RDP on the 1st of July, and already the battery has died.

Per SA's site, the battery should last 65,000 hours and elsewhere they say it should last 2 years.

I'm quite sure the gun I just bought has not been lying around in stock for 2 years or more.

The only thing that might have happened is that Springfield got in a batch of old CR 2032 batteries and shipped those out with the RDP.

Other than that, there may be an issue with how long these Hex Wasp "always on" Red Dot optics actually last.

Probably a good best practice to insert new batteries anyhow versus the ones that come shipped with the gun, but I would have thought the supplied battery would have been very new and recent.
from what i recall being told by a buddy of mine, that was once a electronics store manager, the "flat" batteries such as the 2032, when installed in a device are protected by a thin plastic "insulator", that once it is removed, the battery is now being used.

i think we all have seen a "pull here" tab on devices with installed batteries.

it is highly possible that the battery was weak from the factory, or, the device was "tested" at the factory and was left in the device instead of removed for a fresh one.

one other thought, the "timing" to shut down after x number of minutes/hours in the device, is just running longer than it should, causing the battery to run down sooner.

also, you say you are quite sure the gun had not been sitting around for more than 2 years?

do you have the build date?

i had bought a brand new CZ 75 B, in 2020...and the build date on that is........2017....!!

from what i recall being told by a buddy of mine, that was once a electronics store manager, the "flat" batteries such as the 2032, when installed in a device are protected by a thin plastic "insulator", that once it is removed, the battery is now being used.

i think we all have seen a "pull here" tab on devices with installed batteries.

it is highly possible that the battery was weak from the factory, or, the device was "tested" at the factory and was left in the device instead of removed for a fresh one.

one other thought, the "timing" to shut down after x number of minutes/hours in the device, is just running longer than it should, causing the battery to run down sooner.

also, you say you are quite sure the gun had not been sitting around for more than 2 years?

do you have the build date?

i had bought a brand new CZ 75 B, in 2020...and the build date on that is........2017....!!
To be fair here, the HEX WASP dies not turn off, it’s always on, and the RPD has just been released here within the last year. My guess, weak battery.

How do I check the build date?

I was assuming this was fresh from the factory, as everything is always sold out the past year or two now, and they get new shipments in each week.

They have been sold out at my LGS every time I checked, and I just happened to luck out one Thursday evening when I stopped in.

He had sold 3 that week and the last one was in the display case.

He led me to believe it had only been in the display case a couple of days, when that one and the other 3 he sold that week all came in the same shipment.

This is the Hex Wasp that comes on the RDP, so it is an "always on" RDS, but claims to last for 2 years.

Even if the battery was installed and left in the display model, it should have only been in for about 1 week.

Unless I was lied to and this had been sitting in the display case for a long time.

If my memory suits me correctly, the Hellcat RDP was introduced back in February 2021. There's no way that model was sitting on a shelf for 2 years. Anything that uses a battery that you would trust your life with should be changed in 1/4 of the manufacturers "reccomded" life span.
IMO

Makes sense.

The most recent Armory Life email has a video link where someone is reviewing the Hex Wasp.

He says even though it claims to last 2 years (and in general most others say last a year), he makes it a practice to change out the batteries twice a year.

Each time Daylight Savings time change, he says he changes his red dot batteries just like his smoke detectors etc...

Just got off the phone with SA customer service and he said my gun shipped out of their warehouse May 2021, so it hasn't been around but a couple of months.

He doesn't know why it died so quickly, I asked if it might indicate something wrong with the Optic itself.

He told me to monitor how long the new battery lasts and if it also dies out in a few months that I should send it in and they will check it out.

Other than that, his only guess was it was a bad battery.

So, I will keep a close eye on this battery and if it lasts at least 6 months, then I'll deem the RDS good and go ahead and change out the battery again for good measure.

How do I check the build date?

I was assuming this was fresh from the factory, as everything is always sold out the past year or two now, and they get new shipments in each week.

They have been sold out at my LGS every time I checked, and I just happened to luck out one Thursday evening when I stopped in.

He had sold 3 that week and the last one was in the display case.

He led me to believe it had only been in the display case a couple of days, when that one and the other 3 he sold that week all came in the same shipment.

This is the Hex Wasp that comes on the RDP, so it is an "always on" RDS, but claims to last for 2 years.

Even if the battery was installed and left in the display model, it should have only been in for about 1 week.

Unless I was lied to and this had been sitting in the display case for a long time.
you contact the gun maker with your serial number. (go to "contact us" in thier website)

this is what i do for every gun that i buy, as i keep "log book" of each and every gun that i own

gun, model, serail number, date of purchase, date first put into service, and gun dealer, name, address, phone number.

then i log each range visit, ammo shot, (new or factory reloaded), grains, FMJ, hollow point, round nose, semi-wad cutters, lead bullets.

then how many rounds the gun shot that day, then cleaning and lubing.

takes not even 2 minutes to log each range visit.

now in your situation, by keeping a "log book" of sorts, you'll know just when you switched out the battery. rather than to chance memory

you contact the gun maker with your serial number. (go to "contact us" in thier website)

this is what i do for every gun that i buy, as i keep "log book" of each and every gun that i own

gun, model, serail number, date of purchase, date first put into service, and gun dealer, name, address, phone number.

then i log each range visit, ammo shot, (new or factory reloaded), grains, FMJ, hollow point, round nose, semi-wad cutters, lead bullets.

then how many rounds the gun shot that day, then cleaning and lubing.

takes not even 2 minutes to log each range visit.

now in your situation, by keeping a "log book" of sorts, you'll know just when you switched out the battery. rather than to chance memory
Hey now, that's a great idea!

Not only that, but if you ever have an issue and have to talk to customer service or get warranty work, you have all the details and could help in getting SA to accept responsibility for a repair versus you.

They would have to know with all that log data that you have taken good care of the gun and any malfunction must be a factory defect.

you mean no on/off switch..??

that sucks.
Yes,

I was bummed about that at first as well, and was hesitant to get the RDP just because the Wasp was an always on optic.

But have heard from sever folks and a few reviews/blogs, that it is actually one less thing to worry about or to go wrong.

In the heat of the moment, if SHTF and you brain freeze and forget to turn it on...

Or it is one less component that could break or circuitry to go wrong, and a little less weight etc...

Someone said they wish it was on/off and how could they skimp out on that feature

But if you think about it, except for a Swampfox on sale or a J Point I think, nothing else is at the $299 price point and still gives you an all aluminum case and glass lens.

Most at the $299 mark are polymer lens and case.

Plus the Wasp has the extended shroud, lens inset a bit on back side as well to prevent it getting scratched so easily, and the anti-glare serrations, and one of the biggest feature for me is the u-channel so that I can still 100% co-witness with the iron sights should I ever need to.

To be honest, I never leave any battery that comes in an electronic anything, in place. I always buy or use a battery that I purchase new. Does that stop having a faulty battery, no, but I know it's about as good as I can do.

Hey now, that's a great idea!

Not only that, but if you ever have an issue and have to talk to customer service or get warranty work, you have all the details and could help in getting SA to accept responsibility for a repair versus you.

They would have to know with all that log data that you have taken good care of the gun and any malfunction must be a factory defect.
it goes back to my mechanic days and trucking days, to keep detailed logs on repairs and such. this is why it is just an easy thing (for me) to do. and yes, i'll have documentation of each range visit, per gun.

So,

Just got back from the range to check the Zero of the Wasp since I had to take it off to replace the battery earlier today.

It was off about 2 to 2.5 inches low and 1 inch to the left.

Got it Zero'ed back in and now punching holes about the size of a quarter at 7 yards.

I know it's not 15 or 25 yards, but for me that is good.

As far as the tip someone earlier posted about torquing the screws and then lining up a white mark he made across the screw head and base of the optic, and by doing this he was dead on Zero from last time.

What I don't understand is how can you be sure the screws are started into the screw holes at the exact same place?

Maybe there is something about the mechanics or physics of a screw that I'm unaware of, but does a screw always line up the same way every time?

In my mind, I'm thinking of the end of the screw having numbers around it like a clock for example.

Let's say you started the screw into the base of the red dot with the 1 o'clock position of the screw at the 1 o'clock position of the screw hole.

Once tightened you make your white alignment mark.

You take the screw back out, but when you put it back in, is it not possible that you place the 6 o'clock position of the screw at the 1 o'clock position of the screw hole?

So when tightened, wouldn't the white mark now be 180 degrees off?

Or, is it the mechanics of the screw threads and matching screw hole such that, the screw will only start when the screw's 1 o'clock is at the screw hole 1 o'clock?

Redleg, I'm the guy who mentioned painting the white dots on the screw and the mount so that if they ever move (loosen) you'll know. The main point was that you will always have a quick visual on the screws if they should begin to loosen. I've used this trick on many, many things over the years just for that purpose.

As for your second question, there is only one starting thread point on the screw, and only one starting thread point in the screw hole, so they always start to mesh at the same point. While it is true they may not pull up to exactly the same torque as before just by using the white marks, in my experience it has been they'll be really close.

And funny as it might seem, the larger the screw/bolt is, the less likely it is to pull up exactly where you loosened it from. Torgue is simply a matter of how much the bolt/screw stretches as it's tightened. These little tiny screws used to mount the lightweight red dot sights will usually pull up really close, but it's always a good idea to double check them with a good 'torque' screw driver. (y) (y) (y)

Redleg, I'm the guy who mentioned painting the white dots on the screw and the mount so that if they ever move (loosen) you'll know. The main point was that you will always have a quick visual on the screws if they should begin to loosen. I've used this trick on many, many things over the years just for that purpose.

As for your second question, there is only one starting thread point on the screw, and only one starting thread point in the screw hole, so they always start to mesh at the same point. While it is true they may not pull up to exactly the same torque as before just by using the white marks, in my experience it has been they'll be really close.

And funny as it might seem, the larger the screw/bolt is, the less likely it is to pull up exactly where you loosened it from. Torgue is simply a matter of how much the bolt/screw stretches as it's tightened. These little tiny screws used to mount the lightweight red dot sights will usually pull up really close, but it's always a good idea to double check them with a good 'torque' screw driver. (y) (y) (y)
Very interesting.

I never knew that a screw and screw hole only match up at a single point.

It makes more sense to me, to use alignment dots or markings to keep an eye on whether the screws are loosening up.

That was my exact thought the first time I shot rhe RDP and Zero'ing in the RDS.

I was wondering how the constant firing of the weapon and the recoil, the cycling of the slide back and forth...if that would cause the screws to loosen over time.

I see how making a couple of "alignment" dots could help ensure you keep the screws tightened to the original position you Zero'ed in at.

I also worry about racking the slide and gripping or using the shroud of the RDS while doing this.

I worry this will weaken the optic or loosen the screws over time.

That same Wasp video review I mentioned, that is in the latest Armory Life email, the guy points out that the "ruggedness" of the Wasp allows you to rack the slide by pushing the RDS against some edge like a wooden fence post or belt or something, saying it can take a lot of abuse.

Bit I've been treating the optic with "kids gloves" so to speak.

Very interesting.

I never knew that a screw and screw hole only match up at a single point.

It makes more sense to me, to use alignment dots or markings to keep an eye on whether the screws are loosening up.

That was my exact thought the first time I shot rhe RDP and Zero'ing in the RDS.

I was wondering how the constant firing of the weapon and the recoil, the cycling of the slide back and forth...if that would cause the screws to loosen over time.

I see how making a couple of "alignment" dots could help ensure you keep the screws tightened to the original position you Zero'ed in at.

I also worry about racking the slide and gripping or using the shroud of the RDS while doing this.

I worry this will weaken the optic or loosen the screws over time.

That same Wasp video review I mentioned, that is in the latest Armory Life email, the guy points out that the "ruggedness" of the Wasp allows you to rack the slide by pushing the RDS against some edge like a wooden fence post or belt or something, saying it can take a lot of abuse.

Bit I've been treating the optic with "kids gloves" so to speak.
I've racked mine against the SMSc I have, which is a polymer frame BTW, and not a bit of an issue with it. I've racked it on a bench, on a tree, and on the pocket of my jeans. I'm thinking your Wasp is possibly a little stouter than my SMSc, but then again maybe not. I've fired probably 600-800+ rounds through it now, and nothing has moved.

Also mine has been on my Hellcat for about a yr now with absolutely no issues. Nothing has loosened, battery is still strong, and I'm still lovin' it.

I'd say to not be too worried about hurting your sight. They're a lot tougher than you would think. (y)(y)(y)

Just a 2nd thought here Red, if you're using your set-up for EDC and SD, you need to learn to trust in it. If/when the time ever comes you really need it, you don't want to be second guessing yourself or your equipment.

Just a 2nd thought here Red, if you're using your set-up for EDC and SD, you need to learn to trust in it. If/when the time ever comes you really need it, you don't want to be second guessing yourself or your equipment.
That's a good point.

Part of my issue I think is after plunking down $899 for the RDP, I want to "baby it" so as not to break it and have thrown all that money down the drain....that sort of mentality.

I originally bought a Walther PPQ M2 4" ..was my first ever handgun....also had rifles before....

I love the way it shoots and handles but found it just a tad too large for concealed carry.

Perhaps just haven't found the right holster for it... I prefer AIWB.

So I bought the Hellcat OSP and has been my EDC.

And ever since been contemplating getting a red dot.

I think it was you actually and a few others giving me some tips and points of view on the SMSc and RMSc, etc...

But once the RDP came out, my LGS gave me what I thought was a fair trade-in value and I got the RDP just 3 weeks ago.

I need to get over worrying that the optic, even held on by just 2 tiny screws and has a glass lens...is not really all that fragile.

That video review, the man was banging it around, racking it against a fence post, smacking it as hard as he could against his hand, holding it under water, etc....

I can attest to the toughness of the Hellcat first hand ..... treat it like you stole it!!!

As for the Wasp, I don't have the Wasp, but do have the SMSc and never even a hint of any problem. In fact I bought and installed the SMSc long before the Wasp was even available and paid about the same $$$ for it IIRC.

It took me a couple times out with the gun to assure myself it was everything SA said it was ..... and it is !!!

Then when I installed the red dot, it was another couple times out with the combo. But again, absolutely no issues.

Both pieces of your equipment are quality stuff. Rest assured you're not the first to have one of either, gun or scope, and as far as I'm aware nobody has had any major issues with either piece. Try to relax and enjoy (trust) your equipment.

Back