testtest

Choosing the Right Barrel Length

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
One of the most misunderstood aspects of choosing a rifle and/or shotgun is choosing the barrel length best suited for your use. A novice wonders why there are so many configurations. The only real consideration is which is the best for your intended needs

1648319665875.png

I look for barrel length for the application of the rifle. If I have a dedicated range rifle, I’m not going with an 18” bbl. If I am clearing a house or want a compact rifle I will look at a 10.5” bbl, depending on the caliber. You do lose velocity with a shorter barrel, as we know and some bullets/bullet weights won’t expand correctly or in comparison to a 10.5” bbl vs. a 18” bbl.

One of the most misunderstood aspects of choosing a rifle and/or shotgun is choosing the barrel length best suited for your use. A novice wonders why there are so many configurations. The only real consideration is which is the best for your intended needs

View attachment 25924

^ I really think that most modern SMEs would have a lot to debate versus the author's insistence that the .223/5.56, at the 16 to 14.5" barrel lengths common to "the present M4," is simply a 100 -max 125- yards-and-in weapon.

Classic Firearms recently did a cool comparison on 9mm PCC's and barrel length. Turns out someplace between 6" and 7.5" achieves optimum velocity in the 9mm round they chose to test (can't remember which round). Lost velocity in any barrel over 7.5". Interesting. Could you imagine doing a test like that for each make/model of cartridge for any caliber...let alone all calibers and makes? That might take years and several 100-grand...

Back